Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Would Star Trek have had the same gravitas if Spock had been named Vince?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: June 5th 2007 - a hand-flavor Frappuccino  (Read 8256 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: June 5th 2007 - a hand-flavor Frappuccino
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2007, 07:42:19 pm »

well, I mean, they ended up getting married. So.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: June 5th 2007 - a hand-flavor Frappuccino
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2007, 07:43:43 pm »

Perhaps, but aren't imaginary/thought sequences usually done with the grey tint?

Not always. (August 25, 2006)

Even so, I think panel 8 is just a flashback.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

DanSC

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 79
    • View Profile
Re: June 5th 2007 - a hand-flavor Frappuccino
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2007, 07:55:16 pm »

snif

also thanks for the reminder of Spaghetti's Dad.
Logged
"If you can't have fun playin' with a toy truck, then it's time to reevaluate your life."

isunklower

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12
  • EXTREME
    • View Profile
Re: June 5th 2007 - a hand-flavor Frappuccino
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2007, 08:19:21 pm »

How has no one mentioned how effing huge the ring is in the fourth panel?  I tried to pay attention through the rest of strip, but it was like:

Panel 4:  "Whoa! Did he make her a goddamn bracelet instead?" 
5:  "What the christ - now it's small again!" 
6:  "I haven't watched Honey I Blew Up The Baby in some time..." 
7:  "That was a really stupid title for the sequel..."
8:  "I guess 'enlarged' wasn't a fun enough word..."
9:  "'Engorged' is probably too fun..."
10: "Wait - what?"
Logged
if it is regular yellow lemonade / my dong goes all flaccid

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: June 5th 2007 - a hand-flavor Frappuccino
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2007, 12:08:19 am »

I love how everyone is giving Molly a "get out of bitch free" card when she witnessed a kid getting his hand mangled up in a blender and is happy about the day off it caused.

It reminds me of my mother telling me her "Where I Was When Kennedy Was Shot" story. She was in junior high, and the principal was basically crying over the PA system about the national tragedy of Kennedy's death, and then said that due to events, there was early dismissal. From his office, he could hear the cheers of the students who couldn't give a damn if some dude bit the bullet from the back of the mouth, but an afternoon off, THAT was an event. He started screaming over the PA about how terrible the kids were. And again, the kids cared only for the day off.

Molly Sanders-Kazenzakis: The My Mom of the new generation.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: June 5th 2007 - a hand-flavor Frappuccino
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2007, 12:13:54 am »

This is awesome.  I am filled with the happy.

Bimmicus

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 32
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 186
  • Rotten Bastard
    • View Profile
    • SPLUNGE
Re: June 5th 2007 - a hand-flavor Frappuccino
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2007, 12:49:12 am »

Genuine, irony-free sentimentality in Achewood? Well, alright, just this once. But don't let it happen again.
Logged
you can't spank the monkey if he's on your back

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: June 5th 2007 - a hand-flavor Frappuccino
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2007, 03:41:48 am »

Well, there was the hand-flavor Frappuccino.

That reminds me of the original campaign poster for the Frapp: "The cool aura surrounding a Frappucicino easily dispels cynicism."

Best marketing slogan EVR.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: June 5th 2007 - a hand-flavor Frappuccino
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2007, 03:58:51 am »

DAMMIT!!

Now I understand why they sent everyone home. I kept thinking it was "Hard Flavor Frappuccino." I was like, "hard? what, did he put Jack Daniels in it? Why would they send the entire store home for that?" and then I had to go to work and I didn't think about it.

Education. that's what we're all about. Thanks, board. I love how Molly's all cool about it. Maybe she's texting pictures of the carnage to her friends.
Logged

Alternate

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 141
  • the dinosaurs died for your sins
    • View Profile
Re: June 5th 2007 - a hand-flavor Frappuccino
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2007, 03:59:45 am »

man.
This makes me think of my dad popping the question to my mom.
her parents were over for dinner... and everyone thought he was joking.
His mom said "sweetie, I'm sorry, but Bobby is pulling your leg. He would never get married."

My parents had a kind of similar misunderstanding when my dad proposed.  It went like this: 

Mom:  "You know, maybe we should buy a house together, instead of living in separate apartments.  It'd make good financial sense." 
Dad:  "Oh... well sure.  I mean... do you want to get married?" 
Mom:  "Oh no, that's not what I'm trying to say.  I just think buying a house would make sense, financially." 
Dad:  "Oh...  Um, okay." 

Soon thereafter, she recalled the conversation and realized that he had actually proposed to her, and that she had accidentally not married him.
Logged
Science fun fact:  Did you know that sharks are the awesomest of all animals?

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: June 5th 2007 - a hand-flavor Frappuccino
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2007, 04:20:22 am »

My parents had a kind of similar misunderstanding when my dad proposed.  It went like this: 

Mom:  "You know, maybe we should buy a house together, instead of living in separate apartments.  It'd make good financial sense." 
Dad:  "Oh... well sure.  I mean... do you want to get married?" 
Mom:  "Oh no, that's not what I'm trying to say.  I just think buying a house would make sense, financially." 
Dad:  "Oh...  Um, okay." 

Soon thereafter, she recalled the conversation and realized that he had actually proposed to her, and that she had accidentally not married him.

THAT IS SO CUTE. Tonight, myself and my friends were sitting around recalling how our parents and grandparents had met, and it was all SO ROMANTIC unlike our meetings of our current partners. This all ultimately depressed us all.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: June 5th 2007 - a hand-flavor Frappuccino
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2007, 04:35:03 am »

THAT IS SO CUTE. Tonight, myself and my friends were sitting around recalling how our parents and grandparents had met, and it was all SO ROMANTIC unlike our meetings of our current partners. This all ultimately depressed us all.

This is hell of depressing. I can't find an honest man up here to save my life. Even though my ex fiance was a total shit of a dude, he certainly did the proposal correctly at this insanely gorgeous five-star restaurant. I kind of had this sneaking suspicion that he was going to do it, so I got this gorgeous white top with beading that was very bridal looking that I wore with a floor length formal skirt and heels. It was, in a word, perfect. Well, except for the part that we were obviously never meant to be together.

Plus he did not get me a diamond cuz he knew that they made me uncomfortable (dead African parents and their children all missing limbs, etc.). He was Irish so he got me a beautiful gold claddaugh with a small emerald because we were still poor and in college. I still have it. But I will never be able to wear it or look at it again.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 04:39:20 am by linnea »
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: June 5th 2007 - a hand-flavor Frappuccino
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2007, 04:38:56 am »

I'm pretty sure I never actually proposed.  It was something we both instinctively understood, I guess.  Suddenly we were shopping for engagement rings...  I guess the fact that neither of us ran away signified our joint agreement.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: June 5th 2007 - a hand-flavor Frappuccino
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2007, 04:55:58 am »

My wife proposed in the parking lot of a pancake house.

The chorus' theory about panel 8 makes more sense than mine.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile
Re: June 5th 2007 - a hand-flavor Frappuccino
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2007, 05:02:21 am »

My father proposed to my mother in a rainy carpark in Wales with a statement along the lines of "We should get married so I don't get deported."

My older brother proposed to his girlfriend in a pub to shame another one of their friends into proposing to his own girlfriend.

My family, last of the die-hard romantics.
Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up