I wanna start off by saying, "to each her own" on this one. From how bad I hear it hurts, I'm reluctant to try it. Then I found the following links to make me even more reluctant:
I got some links from my favorite Patriarchy-blaming forum, which
do give me pause.
http://scienceblogs.com/aetiology/2007/06/post_41.php (this represents a worst-case scenario patient, who blatantly disregarded her own health and well-being in the interests of having a hairless crotch). Click at your own risk--pretty gross (no pictures, though, thank God).
PZ Myers's opinion, from Pharyngula, regarding the above "case study"
http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2007/06/mammals_have_hair_get_used_to.phpSummary of links: one potential side effect of Brazilians is golfball-sized cysts from bacterial infections in the skin, or worse. In the case of the worst-case patient, definitely WORSE. EW. And currently no one, such as public-health departments, are keeping track of how many cases there are, so no one can say if these infections as a result of Brazilians are a super-rare or surprisingly common occurrence. Oh, but in this worst-patient-case: GO TO THE FREAKIN' DOCTOR IF SOMETHING SEEMS TO BE WRONG WITH YOUR FAVORITE BITS. Seriously. She could've avoided a lot of grief if she'd just gone at the first signs of trouble, rather than waiting. Ach.
I might consider it if I knew I was going to a salon where the aesthetician was well-versed in universal precautions and had impeccable technique (regarding sterile practices). But this has made me decidedly wary.