Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

So now we know who reads the News Box.  Hello Jaydub.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Oct. 10 Primer - A Dubious trend (10-10-03)  (Read 5309 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Dubious

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1
    • View Profile
Oct. 10 Primer - A Dubious trend (10-10-03)
« on: October 10, 2003, 01:41:28 pm »

I view today's "Primer" as a dubious trend.  :disgusted: I couldn't care less about the "mechanics" of Achewood World. We're not reading the Handbook to the Marvel Universe -- they're talking animals, for cryin' out loud! Anthropomorphism is a long-accepted style of cartooning. Just keep it funny, I say.

On the other hand, if a series of strips like this allows more time to develop more funny stuff in the future, I guess I can live with it.

Strip.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 05:40:10 am by Nabubrush »
Logged

PinkStainlessTail

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 269
    • View Profile
    • http://horsmanistan.blogspot.com/
Re: Oct. 10 Primer - A Dubious trend
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2003, 01:45:12 pm »

Quote from: "Dubious"
I view today's "Primer" as a dubious trend.  :disgusted: I couldn't care less about the "mechanics" of Achewood World.


Agreed. "The Underground" is "teh suck". Don't need it, don't want it, don't like it. But the whole concept stays in the deep background mostly, so no biggie.
Logged
"Plush. Rabid. Festering. Pulchritude. Eschew!"

"That may be the worst cheer ever."
-The University of Universal Understanding, S. Aldred

V-Adore

  • Guest
Oct. 10 Primer - A Dubious trend
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2003, 01:58:32 pm »

I suspect this is a snide retort to those of us who, over e-mail or this board or whatever, ask stupid questions about "The Underground" and world continuity and such shit. We may well deserve what we're getting.

That said, does anybody else find this strip visually gorgeous? Or is it just me?
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Oct. 10 Primer - A Dubious trend
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2003, 02:05:12 pm »

I'm with you V, I took it as Onstad's response to the "How many Ray's can dance on the head of a pin?" discussions that go on around here sometimes.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Oct. 10 Primer - A Dubious trend
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2003, 03:12:58 pm »

Gee, I hope "Dubious" wasn't a regular here who signed up for a new account...

In any case, I thought today's "Primer" was funny.  Explaining something that needn't be explained in one of those grade school diagrams is great.

And I like the idea of stuffed animals and house cats having the strength to lift manhole covers.

revdj

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 102
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dougshaw.com
Oct. 10 Primer - A Dubious trend
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2003, 03:57:26 pm »

What I want to know is... how do stuffed animals talk?
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Oct. 10 Primer - A Dubious trend
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2003, 04:35:17 pm »

Indeed. Both boards have been going on about this (myself included) ever since Ray's contract/Subway etc. I get the feeling that this strip is pointed at us.

He's like fine, if you care so much I'll stop doing funny strips for a couple days and lay down everything in expostion and you can be happy. It reminds me of the August 1, 03 "people are tired of you Ray" strip.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Oct. 10 Primer - A Dubious trend
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2003, 04:53:46 pm »

Odd.  Just...odd.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

arlucasinc

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 132
    • View Profile
    • http://arlucasinc.livejournal.com
Oct. 10 Primer - A Dubious trend
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2003, 06:04:59 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
That said, does anybody else find this strip visually gorgeous? Or is it just me?


I love this strip. The layout is awesome. I have no idea what people are complaining about. Geez.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Oct. 10 Primer - A Dubious trend
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2003, 06:18:26 pm »

Yea, I'm willing to let him go on a behind the scenes of Achewood like this if we keep getting work like that.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Oct. 10 Primer - A Dubious trend
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2003, 06:49:07 pm »

I'm not knocking the strip, it's really cool. I especially like when Ray's half in the manhole holding himself up.
Logged

yahnai

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 43
    • View Profile
Oct. 10 Primer - A Dubious trend
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2003, 06:54:02 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
Yea, I'm willing to let him go on a behind the scenes of Achewood like this if we keep getting work like that.


meh.  he's passing off his "variety hour" and "serializer" miscellany as a strip.  it's weak.  i for one am not interested in more clarification monday.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Oct. 10 Primer - A Dubious trend
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2003, 07:31:01 pm »

Quote from: "yahnai"

meh.  he's passing off his "variety hour" and "serializer" miscellany as a strip.  it's weak.  i for one am not interested in more clarification monday.


It's an opinion.
I was thinking of all the unjustness in that statement, and then realised chances are so will others. But it's a valid opinion stated in the same way as all the positive ones are.
doo doo doo.
I need to find something else to do so bad!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

V-Adore

  • Guest
Oct. 10 Primer - A Dubious trend
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2003, 09:09:08 pm »

Honestly? The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to just let Onstad ride. Maybe this will actually clarify things for the armchair xenologists at home (read: "me").
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Oct. 10 Primer - A Dubious trend
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2003, 09:21:46 pm »

He's going to have these ideas and then he is going to draw these pictures and then he is going to put them up.

Period.

Then all of us, we sit around and analyze it like we're all NSA agents looking at a satellite photo of North Korea.

No one is right. No one is wrong. We are who/what we are. We think what we think. We write what we write. It's all good and it's all shit. Simultaneously.

I love you all.
I bid you peace.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up