Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
The tip jar is broken, but Wombat will entertain bribe offers, assuming she can find this edit screen again.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: I beg your pardon  (Read 10590 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: I beg your pardon
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2007, 10:39:39 am »

That Olbermann is a sassy fellow.
I love reading about american politics, it's my number 1 time waster when I'm not busy at work.
You guys just take it so gosh-darn seriously, it's adorable.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: I beg your pardon
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2007, 06:28:25 pm »

I've felt a little bit bad for Tony Snow lately, having to be the spokesperson for King George and President Cheney.

That part about feeling bad for Tony Snow?  Ended as soon as I read this today:

Surveying the scene, Snow declares himself "proud" of the president, a man who "believes pardons and commutations should reflect a genuine determination to strengthen the rule of law and increase public faith in government."

Do we live in the fuck*ng BIZARRO UNIVERSE NOW? 
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: I beg your pardon
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2007, 06:39:11 pm »

Surveying the scene carnage, Snow declares himself "proud" of the president, a man who "believes pardons and commutations should reflect a genuine determination to strengthen the rule of law and increase public faith in government."

Just dialled that in a touch, there.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: I beg your pardon
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2007, 07:04:23 pm »

Thanks.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: I beg your pardon
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2007, 07:17:35 pm »

Do we live in the fuck*ng BIZARRO UNIVERSE NOW? 

Don't forget, Tony Snow came straight over from Fox News.  The Kool-Aid has long run through his veins.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: I beg your pardon
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2007, 07:49:58 pm »

Oh, I'm aware of Mr. Snow's background.  It just seems like Bush has spit in the face of an entire country with the Libby decision, and now that Bush is finished with us, here comes Tony Snow to give us a facial too. 

Logged

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: I beg your pardon
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2007, 09:39:19 pm »

I'm not that pissed about Bush pardoning Libby, if it happens. Two and a half years in jail seems like an overly long sentence to me. I generally don't think that people who have been convicted of nonviolent crimes should be put in jail for that long period. I certainly think he deserves some kind of jail time, but I don't think that he should be serving a sentence that represents the judgment of a collective group of people.

What pisses me off is how many other people have done fairly treasonous things, and they're not even on trial. Frankly, if Bush's pardon of Libby brings closer scrutiny of the administration's involvement in the Plame affair, I say bring it on, because the worst guys in this case do not seem to be on trial. Where are Card and Rove and all the other evildoers in this? How have they escaped judgement?

Then again, I am not terrifically well-informed on this case.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: I beg your pardon
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2007, 10:42:07 pm »

I don't think that he should be serving a sentence that represents the judgment of a collective group of people.

 ???
Logged

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: I beg your pardon
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2007, 11:01:21 pm »

???

As in, I think that the judge's harsh sentence (it was almost a year more than the recommended sentence) reflected the consensus on the actions of the administration rather than Libby's actions specifically - punishing him for the sins of Cheney, Rove, and Card in addition to his own.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: I beg your pardon
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2007, 11:27:07 pm »

Here's the thing, though, Rumjay... that's the closest anyone's ever going to get to punishing these fuck*ng bastards and jackals.

Putting the vice president's assistant in jail for two years. That was the closest we were ever gonna get. Judge knew it, that's why he threw the book at the little snakeman.

And even that... erased with the flick of a pen.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: I beg your pardon
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2007, 01:44:20 am »

I understand that if he gets a full pardon he cannot hide behind the fifth, as he would be able to if he only had the sentence commuted - but I probably screwed that up.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: I beg your pardon
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2007, 01:51:58 am »

I like the new twist, which I learned on Olbermann (thanks, Nabu!), which is that there's a chance the judge can't even give him the probation now, because the probation may have to follow a prison sentence, and with no prison sentence, the prerequisite is no longer there. The fine may be all we get from him. And as they mentioned on this same show, when you are given a fine like that, and you can have it paid in two hours, how painful is it really?

It's crazy to think that after six years, Bush STILL hasn't figured out how to use the tools at his disposal without jacking it up.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: I beg your pardon
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2007, 02:11:19 am »

I thought my rose garden comment was very funny.  What, no Lynn Anderson fans here?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: I beg your pardon
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2007, 02:25:36 am »

Here's the thing, though, Rumjay... that's the closest anyone's ever going to get to punishing these fuck*ng bastards and jackals.

Putting the vice president's assistant in jail for two years. That was the closest we were ever gonna get. Judge knew it, that's why he threw the book at the little snakeman.

And even that... erased with the flick of a pen.

Yeahhhh, I understand that, but it's not fair or just to make one man pay for the misdeeds of a collective group. I think that making someone a scapegoat and punishing them "extra" for things that they didn't do is not much more just than the fact that the other individuals got away with it.

I don't see how being unfair to one man in particular is going to make that fact better. His life has been ruined (as well it should have been - that is his true punishment other than jail, the shame), and he will spend some time away from his family in a terrible place. In contrast to Cheney, Rove, and Card, who come out relatively unscathed and really did most of the worst treachery, how is the extra misery of another year in jail upon the ruination of Libby's life really making all that right? He did some terrible things, but it's not fair to rub his face as a way of paying penance for letting all the others off.

The Bush administration has no sense of justice. Why should we follow their example as a response to it?


Additionally, I think Bush would be less pressured to pardon him if he were punished more fairly, and he would be more likely to serve at least some of the time that he deserves to serve.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: I beg your pardon
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2007, 02:35:53 am »

I don't see how being unfair to one man in particular is going to make that fact better. His life has been ruined (as well it should have been - that is his true punishment other than jail, the shame), and he will spend some time away from his family in a terrible place.

This does not match up to my understanding of the way things work for people in power in the US.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up