Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I shouldn't have to tell people not to hit me on the head nearly so often as I do.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!  (Read 17629 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

elfbabe

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 39
    • View Profile
Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2007, 10:28:42 pm »

This strip is destined to become a classic.

And personally, I've always thought that Tahoma wasn't too bad.
(but if you can recommend an obscure font to replace it, go right ahead!)
Logged

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2007, 11:10:22 pm »

All of my work messenger functions are done with courier.  All of my coworkers have opted for colored fonts of fancy, your chancery, your comic sans, what have you.   I have decided to go the other direction.   It also helps when I paste technical stuff into the IM window.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2007, 11:43:01 pm »

You all have wasted my entire afternoon with font silliness.  I now have freefont{freesans & freeserif} installed, which I find I like better than Arial.  I'm wondering if I can actually communicate with the rest of the company now if I type in freesans, or will they get □□□□□□□
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Ruddy Ruddy

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 8
    • View Profile
Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2007, 12:26:19 am »

The best part of this comic for me is deconstructing exactly why all the guys are having such a vicious reaction to Comic Sans. Teodor's obviously offended as a graphic designer. Ray, because it's not classy. Roast Beef, because it's for lame computer newbies. And I'd say Lyle didn't care about fonts at all and just wanted to deliver a punishing beatdown if I didn't know that he was secretly a master of commercial-quality calligraphy.
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2007, 01:15:47 am »

I'm a big fan of Trebuchet, myself. I use it for damn near everything.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2007, 01:33:04 am »

I've always been fond of Copperplate Gothic.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2007, 02:05:09 am »

I really like Trebuchet too.

Helvetica is my favourite font, though.  I want to name my daughter Helvetica.  And imagine my delight when I saw that the iPhone's interface is done (almost) entirely in Helvetica (except for the Notes app, which uses Comic Sans' uglier cousin, Felt Marker).

Now let's go get the motherfucker who invented Papyrus!

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2007, 02:45:15 am »

Isn't Trebuchet some kind of medieval torture device?

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2007, 02:48:52 am »

That interview with the dude who invented Comic Sans was massively disappointing. I like how, despite repeatedly alluding to inappropriate use as the reason people hate Comic Sans, he never actually named an appropriate use... dude, your font is so poorly conveyed!
Logged

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2007, 02:59:17 am »

That interview with the dude who invented Comic Sans was massively disappointing. I like how, despite repeatedly alluding to inappropriate use as the reason people hate Comic Sans, he never actually named an appropriate use... dude, your font is so poorly conveyed!

I think he did. He said it was designed for interactive troubleshooting programs for kids in MS.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2007, 03:11:55 am »

Lucida Grande.

Hobo Joe

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 6
    • View Profile
Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2007, 04:01:31 am »

I'm a big fan of Trebuchet, myself. I use it for damn near everything.

According to wikipedia Trebechet was invented by the same son of a bitch who invented comic sans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincent_Connare
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2007, 04:04:53 am »

Quote
Isn't Trebuchet some kind of medieval torture device?

it's like a big, badass catapult. Kind of.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2007, 04:32:08 am »

There was a New Yorker article about a year or so ago (it's still in the can, I think) about a font designer.  I think he designed Verdana or Tahoma or something, along with numerous others.  Interesting story how he ended up in that niche.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2007, 04:55:27 am »

Okay font geeks - I am always in the market for new fonts.  Anyone got any suggestions as to what I should check out?

mel, I am in love with some of the ones on this site (http://www.linotype.com/2264/coolfonts.html). YMMV. Obviously these are not fonts that you would use to write an entire page or post with; rather, they would work well on posters or the cover of a book or something.

"Boner Book" has a hilarious name.
"Spacera" looks like something outta Mondo 2000, the cyberpunk magazine of the late 1990s.
I like "Johann Sparkling", it's a very nice script. Lyle would be proud.
I get kinda chapped when I see "Pablo" because it's a little like seeing a picture of a deceasedt Cobain hawking Doc Martens. I mean... would Picasso have wanted his signature appropriated and turned into a font so that people can put it on their blogs or wedding invitations?


Yep, Spacera's pretty cool.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 05:09:51 am by linnea »
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up