Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am composing a tone poem about eagles, lawnmowers, and Ted Nugent. It is composed only of the sounds of those things.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Music of Summer 07  (Read 14329 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2007, 01:16:08 am »

Posting live from Pitchfork, yo. Check my Flickr for photo updates.

Heavy nerdcore to the core.  Word.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2007, 01:35:11 am »

Posting live from Pitchfork, yo. Check my Flickr for photo updates.

Heavy nerdcore to the core.  Word.

UNGH. You are at Pitchfork. And the pictures were taken with your iPhone. I'm so jealous. :(
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2007, 01:53:42 am »

It's exactly as Awesome as it sounds. ;)

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2007, 01:17:15 am »

The show was awesome, and near the end of the show as I snuck up near where the band would exit the stage,  a security guard saw me taking a photo, ran over to me, and I thought he was going to eject me from the area or give me shit about taking photos back there, but what he said instead was "Is that an iPhone?"

I told him indeed it was, and that I was posting photos to Flickr right from the concert.  He thought that was pretty cool, and since there were a lot of people there crowding us he took me back behind the secure area so he could play with my iPhone while the band came off the stage.  I held my hand out and Thurston Moore slapped it, like a sideways five.  Then they hustled out of there back to their trailer, high-fiving people along the way.

Of course, the security guard was playing with Google Maps while this was happening so I couldn't get a photo except of them entering their trailer, which was dark and blurry.

Good times.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2007, 09:50:12 am »

Wow.

An iPhone and an amazing story.

Awesome.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2007, 07:41:26 pm »

for the past month and a half i've been listeind to an old Band of Susans cd, veil, i picked up used for 2 fitty.

it is the sound of the summer.

15 years late.

*shrug*

Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2007, 10:29:56 pm »

Let me be the first to say, I find your current avatar unnerving, Arkabee.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2007, 12:03:06 am »

Slint was awesome. I got a shirt.

I would have been 5 feet away from Brian MacMahan (sp?)  but my friend Bryan said "let's go stand over there! we'll be closer!"
which, I guess we were closer... to the guitar player? But the vocalist was whispering on the other side of the stage. Where we had just been.

It was awesome, though. Then we went and did Bryan's 3 hour (3-6 AM) radio show on WXYC. Which... sucked, surprisingly.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2007, 12:30:18 am »

Let me be the first to say, I find your current avatar unnerving, Arkabee.

He changed it to some smiling blonde girl, so I think I'm grateful that I didn't see the original.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2007, 02:48:57 am »

He changed it to some smiling blonde girl, so I think I'm grateful that I didn't see the original.

But . . . but . . . Toothie!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2007, 03:38:49 am »

Also, s_s - we just grabbed Snakehouse. Holy fuck is this tasty. She is what Danzig would be if Danzig was cool and also sexy and hot. Oh man I am in love now.

We got some Mika too - the single you picked and Grace Kelly. Sweet. I'm fixing to get everyone at work into the Cliks, and then drop the bomb, and be all "what, the music sucks now? What's that about?"

Plus: Music of the Summer.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 04:47:59 am by Nabubrush drinks (a lot) »
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2007, 01:11:41 pm »

Also, s_s - we just grabbed Snakehouse. Holy fuck is this tasty. She is what Danzig would be if Danzig was cool and also sexy and hot. Oh man I am in love now.

We got some Mika too - the single you picked and Grace Kelly. Sweet. I'm fixing to get everyone at work into the Cliks, and then drop the bomb, and be all "what, the music sucks now? What's that about?"

Plus: Music of the Summer.

Yes, the Cliks are music gold.  I am in love with Lucas also.  I really like your ploy - let me know how it goes okay? Apparently they just rock live, which kills me because I got into them then found out they'd played my city less than a month before I picked up their album.  There's lots of their live performances posted on YouTube, so do check them out.  And everyone not in the lower 48, the Cliks are currently on tour and their schedule is posted at www.thecliks.com.  They are on their way up, catch them while you can and if you go see them, let me know!

I was enjoying some Mika yesterday.  Grace Kelly, Lollypop, Love Today, and Big Girls are the best cuts.  Billy Brown is worth a listen but is a bit too much of a "hey did you notice I sound like Freddy Mercury?" type track for me.

Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2007, 06:00:05 pm »

hey, so, um.

a bunch of good bands are coming to St Louis pretty soon after I get back there.
and...

once again, I must ask, which of these bands should I see?

Bloc Party
They Might Be Giants
Animal Collective
Ryan Adams and the Cardinals
Ted Leo and the Pharmacists
Nada Surf and Sea Wolf
Menomena
Of Montreal.

I have already seen Of Montreal once. Based on the venues where they are held... Animal Collective, Ted Leo, and Nada Surf will be cheap or free. The rest will be... more expensive. like, 10-20$? I am trying to budget myself better this year, so, I can't go see all. To clarify, the only bands on this list that I have ever listened to are Of Montreal and TMBG... but I know many of the others are supposed to be wonderful, and I love live music. I am not above, for instance cramming in listening to Feels, which I already have on my computer, in order to go see Animal Collective with some appreciation. I did -not- do this when I went to see.... either Ratatat or !!!, I forget which... and it got old fast. Mostly because they sucked, but if I had listened to them before, maybe I would have saved 5 dollars?

basically? advise me.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2007, 08:06:07 pm »

I dig Bloc Party's previous album, but the most recent one was sort of a disappointment.  The singer/lyricist was sufficiently bitter and jaded to write good stuff on the last one, but he must have a new girlfriend or something.  Never seen them live; they don't strike me as a band that would put on a scorching live show, but I could be wrong.

I also dig me some Ted Leo, and I'm told he DOES put on a great show (again, never seen him, because I am old and married and don't go to concerts anymore).
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2007, 09:03:56 pm »

I dig Bloc Party's previous album, but the most recent one was sort of a disappointment.  The singer/lyricist was sufficiently bitter and jaded to write good stuff on the last one, but he must have a new girlfriend or something.


You mean boyfriend?   And yeah, you are right about their albums.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up