Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Alright, America. I'm playing the underpants and pants game. If just for one more day.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Music of Summer 07  (Read 14357 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #90 on: July 28, 2007, 02:41:41 pm »

yeah....

except that the roots of current pop-emo began with emo-core in the late 80s, evolving in the DC area with bands like Embrace and Rites of Spring-- largely on the Dischord label. Tired of the same old three-chords and hating Reagan, they began using more complex guitar parts and writing more emotionally complex lyrics-- causing them to be labeled Emotional Hardcore, which eventually got shortened a ton. Embrace was Ian MacKaye's band, but no one has ever heard their album, because he ate every copy of it in a drunken (with power) rage. Rites of Spring are 90% really annoying but a lot of people really dig them.

*starts gesticulating wildly and screaming nonsense syllables*
*wheezes for a bit, falls on the ground*


*blink* um, sorry about that, sometimes I get real... did I black out?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #91 on: July 28, 2007, 07:42:24 pm »

I was going to score tickets to see the Police but at $89 a ticket I just ended up getting that last album of theirs that I didn't have for $6.99 instead.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #92 on: July 28, 2007, 08:40:43 pm »

I was going to score tickets to see the Police but at $89 a ticket I just ended up getting that last album of theirs that I didn't have for $6.99 instead.

Money wisely spent - except it would be nice to actually be at the show where they broke up again. It's be like watching the Kinks when Ray and Dave erupted into fisticuffs, or the Oasis show where Liam heckled Noel incessantly.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #93 on: July 28, 2007, 08:42:25 pm »

I didn't realize emo went back that far, but I knew a guy who was in a self-described emo band in 97 or 98, but I never heard the term used in the mainstream until like 2 years ago. But I don't follow music press at all.
Logged

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #94 on: July 30, 2007, 03:28:20 pm »

I was going to score tickets to see the Police but at $89 a ticket I just ended up getting that last album of theirs that I didn't have for $6.99 instead.

I think my younger brother saw them in Fenway last night. Some friends saw them at Bonnaroo.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #95 on: August 14, 2007, 05:36:30 pm »

Ok stop everything. Just go here, watch the video, have your day lifted and come back to thank me.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #96 on: August 15, 2007, 03:33:35 am »

That was pretty awesome. Except for the trunks, which disturbed me.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #97 on: August 15, 2007, 04:14:43 am »

Ok stop everything. Just go here, watch the video, have your day lifted and come back to thank me.

I'm not too sure if I like these guys or not.  I'll give it a day and try again.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #98 on: August 15, 2007, 05:36:48 pm »

Please do. I'm listening to this guy's albums (an album and an EP) for days on end already...
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #99 on: August 15, 2007, 07:48:09 pm »

Wow! Thanks for the link, deja. I loved it! The music is fantastic. Five stars from me.

I always get mesmerized when I watch choreographed dance. It's so great. Also, the singer has a gorgeous voice. He sounds like a more melodious Rufus Wainwright.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #100 on: August 15, 2007, 08:26:59 pm »

Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #101 on: August 17, 2007, 04:05:19 pm »

as far as I'm concerned, the song everyone needs to hear is "A Change Gonna Come" by Sam Cooke. that man could SING.

Do not mock me for never having heard that song, dogs. It is pure gold.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #102 on: August 17, 2007, 04:15:09 pm »

I just got the newest album from The New Pornographers in the mail. I am prepared to be wowed.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #103 on: August 17, 2007, 09:28:06 pm »

as far as I'm concerned, the song everyone needs to hear is "A Change Gonna Come" by Sam Cooke. that man could SING.

Do not mock me for never having heard that song, dogs. It is pure gold.

You misspelled doggs.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Music of Summer 07
« Reply #104 on: August 17, 2007, 09:41:53 pm »

No!  No!  He's actually calling us dogs!  That fucker!  Get him!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up