Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Dude abides.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Things to do when you're poor?  (Read 4234 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Things to do when you're poor?
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2007, 01:17:58 am »

Well, my suggestion requires a handheld GPS - if you don't have one maybe you can borrow one from a friend who does.  I've had a lot of low-cost fun hiking around in search of geocaches with my family.  This has the perfect storm confluence of intarweb geekiness, healthy activity, and childlike coolness of finding hidden treasure.  A quick look shows 1369 caches in Manitoba - I'd bet a lot of them are near/in Winnipeg.

I haven't gone geocaching in forever, but it gets my vote as being the bomb-diggity.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Things to do when you're poor?
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2007, 02:26:45 am »

Quote from: AugustWest
Masturbation is pretty darn cheap.

Are you counting the cost of the internet connection or... are you just assuming you'd have the internet anyway, so as to e-mail and talk about comic strips?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Things to do when you're poor?
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2007, 02:46:14 am »

Are you counting the cost of the internet connection or... are you just assuming you'd have the internet anyway, so as to e-mail and talk about comic strips?

Kids these days. It's called imagination, people - use it.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Things to do when you're poor?
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2007, 03:30:26 am »

I am poor, stuck in the middle of the suburbs, and carless.

Sometimes I take the bus. It's still pretty expensive for someone who is jobless, $1.50 each way. I love taking the light rail to downtown Denver, but that's an additional $3 each way.

To my knowledge, all the zoos and museums charge. I haven't been to one in far too long.

Here is what I do:
1. Call friends and family for various outings.
2. Take walks after it's cooled down.
3. Pet the cats.
4. Sleep.
5. Apply for jobs online.
6. Watch DVDs. Most of the stuff on the telly sucks anyway.

Damn, I wish I had a vehicle.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Things to do when you're poor?
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2007, 03:55:06 am »

Kids these days. It's called imagination, people - use it.

Back in my day we used a Ladies Home Journal and we liked it.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Things to do when you're poor?
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2007, 12:26:25 pm »

When I was poor I started a message board for a recently displaced community of webcomic fans.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Things to do when you're poor?
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2007, 12:49:29 pm »

When I was poor I started a message board for a recently displaced community of webcomic fans.


See! Do volunteer work and make the world a better place!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Things to do when you're poor?
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2007, 12:54:06 pm »

Although I guess "poor" and "let me set up some space for us to chat in my cluster of web servers" do not necessarily equate.

I guess what I'm saying is that "poor" is relative.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Things to do when you're poor?
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2007, 02:02:31 pm »

I can't believe I forgot to drop this in here:

I called up my friend LeRoy on the phone
I said, Buddy, I'm afraid to be alone
'Cause I got some weird ideas in my head
About things to do in Denver when you're dead poor

I was working on a steak the other day
And I saw Waddy in the Rattlesnake Cafe
Dressed in black, tossing back a shot of rye
Finding things to do in Denver when you die become poor

You won't need a cab to find a priest
Maybe you should find a place to stay
Some place where they never change the sheets
And you just roll around Denver all day

LeRoy says there's something you should know
Not everybody has a place to go
And home is just a place to hang your head
And dream of things to do in Denver when you're dead poor

You won't need a cab to find a priest
Maybe you should find a place to stay
Some place where they never change the sheets
And you just roll around Denver all day
You just roll around Denver all day
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Things to do when you're poor?
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2007, 04:42:32 pm »

I can't believe I forgot to drop this in here:

I called up my friend LeRoy on the phone
I said, Buddy, I'm afraid to be alone
'Cause I got some weird ideas in my head while lyin' on the floor
About things to do in Denver when you're dead poor

I was working on a steak the other day
And I saw Waddy in the Rattlesnake Cafe
Dressed in black, tossing back a shot of rye window shopping the liquor store
Finding things to do in Denver when you die become poor

You won't need a cab to find a priest
Maybe you should find a place to stay
Some place where they never change the sheets
And you just roll around Denver all day

LeRoy says there's something you should know
Not everybody has a place to go
And home is just a place to hang your head roof and door
And dream of things to do in Denver when you're dead poor

You won't need a cab to find a priest
Maybe you should find a place to stay
Some place where they never change the sheets
And you just roll around Denver all day
You just roll around Denver all day

The tyranny of rhyme.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Things to do when you're poor?
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2007, 06:35:28 pm »

I really want to jump in on this geocaching business, but the cheapest OK GPS gadget is like $80. Thats basically a month's worth of green fees, or like a quarter ounce.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Things to do when you're poor?
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2007, 07:13:59 pm »

Do what I did, and get it as a present.

Damn causality.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Things to do when you're poor?
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2007, 07:50:01 pm »

The tyranny of rhyme.

Tiny can'd, the lot of you.

Awesome. I'm so glad to be back in Denver.
Logged

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: Things to do when you're poor?
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2007, 08:35:54 pm »

If you live near a college or other institute of higher learning, see if they'll let you audit a class or two for free.  Since you aren't being graded and aren't getting any credit, you don't have to buy the books (our local uni keeps most required texts on call in the library) and you get the fun of sitting in on lectures.

See if a community center needs volunteers.  Or maybe you can intern at something frivolous.  Radio and TV stations love getting people to do stuff for free and the fringe benefits can be pretty sweet.
Logged

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Things to do when you're poor?
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2007, 09:16:53 pm »

The tranny of rhyme.

This is how I read that.

Were I a rapper, I would adopt that as my stage name.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up