Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No, Philippe! Too soon!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07  (Read 10847 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
« on: July 17, 2007, 04:14:21 am »

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=07172007

Another plot advancer.

Beef's face in the first panel is really something, though. Someone oughta make a lolcat about that.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 05:07:06 am by JorgeFabregas »
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 04:29:45 am »

I cracked up at that textbook.  I have that textbook.  Excuse me, I has that textbook.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 05:07:36 am »

Tell us more about your textbook, Paul. Is it part of your school curriculum?
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 05:11:42 am »

that was a pretty good comic.

also, Molly trying to find a way to say what she needs to say.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 05:15:50 am »

I totally missed the boat on the whole lolcat meme. What the hell is the difference between lolcat and o rly?

Drastic Action

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 29
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 194
  • Zounds!
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 05:42:14 am »

I made the mistake of taking a drink of water before reading the last panel.  It was very nearly a catastrophe.

The concept of this meme infecting McDonald's advertising, coupled with that... overly excited dude..  Plus, it is all proper-ized: LolCat DeLuxe.  I love it.

alt-text: Burger King -- "Has it your way"
Logged
~

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 05:44:57 am »

Oh god, I fuck*ng love this strip. Beef is FURIOUS. Molly still looks eerily like Huggins. The O'Reilly book about PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE is priceless.

A++++, WOULD READ AGAIN

P.S. Melack, I think that the "O RLY" was a meme that originated at SomethingAwful. Whenever someone made a really obvious post, they would post a graphic with "O RLY" on it. It pre-dates the lolcat meme.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 06:38:50 am »

I love the concept of an "Understanding PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE" book. Srsly.

Also, are we supposed to interpret the bottom panel as actually happening, or as Roast Beef's paranoid delusions? Also, how long until someone connects this to Jaime the Science Friend, and all hell breaks loose?
Logged

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 07:34:51 am »

The Carefree Asian Banker is all sorts of weirding me out. Is that the demographic LolCat Deluxe burgers are aimed at? Also, associating the word 'cat' with any mass-marketed food product is probably not a good idea (unless you're racist and think Asian Bankers like to eat cat meat all day, everyday).

@Melack: I guess O RLY and associated memes tend to involve owls more than cats?
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 09:29:11 am »

Is it by O'Reilly or the doctor whose name I choose not to remember to type here?  I thought the doctor.


Oh god, I fuck*ng love this strip. Beef is FURIOUS. Molly still looks eerily like Huggins. The O'Reilly book about PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE is priceless.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 09:58:55 am »

They're all a subset of Image Macros.

Basically, an Image Macro is a giant saying (traditionally printed using the Impact font) on top of a picture which reinforces it.  To wit:



These are usually employed by the self-appointed "thread police," who try to enforce their will upon a chosen message board to counter their deep-seated insecurities.

Somewhat simultaneously, the image meme began gaining popularity -- the idea is that by repeating an amusing saying and/or providing variations on a theme, a poster can simulate wit and/or entertaining writing.  Generally someone will find something that strikes them as funny (Darth Vader's mistranslated caption: DO NOT WANT), and then others who also find it funny will apply the phrase to similar situations.  Essentially, these phrases become a simplified net language all their own, where tone and inflection are replaced by the image that backs up the known phrase.



The Oort cloud of memes and image macros seems to be 4chan.org, which is basically the most horrible place on the internet.  Somethingawful, Fark, Worth1000, and Ebaumsworld are also sources of these items.  I wouldn't recommend visiting these places.  Especially 4chan, where people often have gross-out contests with real-life images and stories, then laugh about it.

Anyway, I couldn't sleep, so you all get the crap that's rattling around in my head.  Sorry about that.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2007, 11:21:17 am »

Also, how long until someone connects this to Jaime the Science Friend, and all hell breaks loose?

oooh miiieerr...
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2007, 01:16:07 pm »

I love the concept of an "Understanding PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE" book. Srsly.

Also, are we supposed to interpret the bottom panel as actually happening, or as Roast Beef's paranoid delusions? Also, how long until someone connects this to Jaime the Science Friend, and all hell breaks loose?

Well the blubbering Ray thing happened for real so I'm thinking that this is actually happening.

Surprisingly enough it appears that nobody has tried to actually edit wikipedia to look like this.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2007, 02:16:18 pm »

Lister, did you write that O'Reilly book?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2007, 03:14:56 pm »


The Oort cloud of memes and image macros seems to be 4chan.org, which is basically the most horrible place on the internet.  Somethingawful, Fark, Worth1000, and Ebaumsworld are also sources of these items.  I wouldn't recommend visiting these places.  Especially 4chan, where people often have gross-out contests with real-life images and stories, then laugh about it.

Anyway, I couldn't sleep, so you all get the crap that's rattling around in my head.  Sorry about that.

4chan, Somethingawful, Fark. Facebook, Myspace, Friendster. Livejournal. World of Warcraft Forums. Kingdom of Loathing forums. This board. Assbar. Slashdot. YTMND. There is too much Internet. I simply can't handle it all. How can you people start and keep track of all those threads? Most of you are gainfully employed. There is no way you can actually read through all of these threads (Science and Nature, Sports, whatever). How is it done? I'm exhausted. I am simply unable to handle that much Internet.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up