Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Italian food is like pornography. I can’t define it, but I know when I have paid too much.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Underappreciated Videogames  (Read 24771 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2007, 09:17:25 am »

Oh god.. see I thought I was working toward getting my son married off, or at least getting him to work on the farm.  Also, the old guy's sweet wife died before I quit playing A Wonderful Life.  I kept giving him his favorite food to cheer him up, but he was mostly depressed.  If things just go on like this, I'm pretty glad I stopped.  I really thought I was working toward something.

Also, yeah... all that hay.  Cuddling and washing the cows was pretty cute though.


EDIT: Blargh I'm an idiot and thought I had finished playing through A Wonderful Life but had in fact gotten confused with another Harvest Moon and I suck. Checking GameFAQs, the son actually does grow to adulthood and will inherit the farm if his interests develop in that direction.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2007, 04:01:22 pm »

Cuddling . . . the cows was pretty cute though.

They sold this game to children?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #77 on: August 08, 2007, 08:07:16 pm »

so, um, I want to play these cute games you are talking about. Unfortunately the last nintendy system we have is the 64.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #78 on: August 08, 2007, 08:21:11 pm »

so, um, I want to play these cute games you are talking about. Unfortunately the last nintendy system we have is the 64.

Heh! Nintendy gets a tiny can. A guy that I know has a similar affliction, he likes to call Colorado "Coloraddy" and Alaska "Alasky".
Logged

troublecat

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 10
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #79 on: August 08, 2007, 08:30:33 pm »

so, um, I want to play these cute games you are talking about. Unfortunately the last nintendy system we have is the 64.

"Nintendy."

I love that.

There's a Harvest Moon for N64 ( http://www.digitpress.com/DP/cmf/game.cmf?gameid=11785 ), but it's a pretty uncommon find (and pricey).
Logged
"I'm not supposed to eat Twiglets."
"Why not?"
"They make me violent."

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #80 on: August 08, 2007, 09:36:11 pm »

All this Harvest Moon talk reminded me of this:

from bigzam.com
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #81 on: August 10, 2007, 08:20:22 pm »

I recently got hold of Way Of The Samurai in a game trade with a friend. It's a neat PS2 game that basically amounts to "we thought it would be really cool to be able to play through Yojimbo". Basically you play as a samurai in the Meiji era (1878 specifically) who has come to a small village being torn between the corrupt noble family that's traditionally ruled it and an arrogant band of swordsmen planning to overthrow the government. The game takes place over three days and you pretty much have free run of the town; you can change the outcome of the plot in a bunch of ways depending on where you go, what you do, and so forth - you can join one faction or the other, you can stay neutral and watch things unfold, and of course you can play both sides against each other Yojimbo-style.

The gameplay is pretty good with an emphasis on the swordfighting system, as might be expected. There are also about 40 different swords with different movesets, most of which belong to the named characters; when a character dies, you can take his sword (carrying up to three) and when you start a new playthrough you can take a sword that you had in your inventory when you finished a previous playthrough.

..anyway, I watched Yojimbo again not too long ago and had the urge to find another copy of this game. So I'm pleased that I've done so.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #82 on: August 10, 2007, 09:19:46 pm »

I rented that once.  Pretty decent.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2007, 02:23:14 am »

Way of the Samurai was a non-terrible game. I hear there are two sequels and a Wild West themed spin-off. When the video game industry grows out of the World War II phase I'm hoping Spaghetti Westerns are next.

Here is a thing that I did with a can of spray-paint:
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2007, 03:40:53 am »

Today I saw a game called Chili Con Carnage.  I don't know what it's about, or even remember what system its for... I think a handheld?... anyway, I am appreciating the name of this game.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #85 on: August 11, 2007, 03:45:19 am »

A cursory Google search tells me that it is about shooting Mexicans. But it's okay because the player character is also Mexican so it's not racist or anything.
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #86 on: August 14, 2007, 03:18:12 am »

I'm enjoying kicking some Diablo again for the first time in since forever. Did anyone play Postal? I had a demo - I enjoyed it (but I'm a sick fuck) but my computer wasn't very happy. Too labor intensive for my little gray box.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #87 on: August 14, 2007, 03:25:05 am »

Postal 1 or 2? 1 I didn't care for much but I played it years ago and can't remember it that well. The demo for 2 was fun.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Dexter

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 119
  • Some mothers should not be turned out.
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #88 on: August 17, 2007, 05:34:18 am »

Here is a thing that I did with a can of spray-paint:
(image of Wii and spraypainted-white GameCube controller removed because it's just a few posts above this one and I don't really see the point of including it a second time)
Man, now I'm gonna have to spraypaint my GameCube controller white.

Or maybe spraypaint the Wii black!  Depending on how warranty-voidy and Wii-disassemble-y I'm feeling.
Logged
Y'all don't know what it's like, bein' male, middle-class and white.

troublecat

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 10
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Videogames
« Reply #89 on: August 17, 2007, 01:43:04 pm »

Oh man, am I the only one who thinks the Wii is kind of overloved?

I bought one back in February, thinking "This is going to be the greatest thing EVAR!"  Fast forward about a month, and it's collecting dust.

It might just be the lack of games, though.  The only thing that I'm really interested in that I don't already have is Cooking Mama, and I don't think that I'm $50 worth of interested (even though I love the DS version muchly).
Logged
"I'm not supposed to eat Twiglets."
"Why not?"
"They make me violent."
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up