Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Barely passed Oregon driver's test. Lots of rules about Yielding to the Distraught and slow-moving salmon trucks on one-way switchbacks.

Pages: 1 ... 832 833 [834] 835 836 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1343234 times)

0 Members and 184 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12495 on: January 17, 2013, 10:19:59 pm »

There are some flaky people on OK Cupid for sure. I've met a couple of ladies and they were both bummers, but I'm not condemning the whole site based on my limited experience.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12496 on: January 18, 2013, 05:53:52 am »

...find out that my company invited me to a conference in San Francisco... five days ago. I really need to pay better attention to my work email.


So umm, San Francisco. Awesome. What should I do there?
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12497 on: January 18, 2013, 06:47:54 pm »

get the cast off my wrist!

It feels really weird and actually hurts more when I try to do anything right now. But I got to take a shower without one arm covered in plastic and held out of the water, so that was glorious.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12498 on: January 18, 2013, 08:55:21 pm »

But I got to take a shower without one arm covered in plastic and held out of the water

That's somebody's fetish
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12499 on: January 18, 2013, 09:35:05 pm »

That's somebody's fetish

only because they've never had to do it every day for six weeks.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12500 on: January 19, 2013, 02:30:36 am »

well, this site at the very least is giving me a weird ego-boost. Joked to my roommate about the unappealing people messaging me on there, and he said "wait... people are messaging you?"

so suck it, dude. The unshaven barista beats out the guy with the fancy job for the affections of women who say they hate reading on dating websites.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12501 on: January 19, 2013, 05:48:23 am »

If you like oysters, Hog Island Oyster Bar at the Ferry Building is really good. If you don't like oysters, they have good chowder. There is a farmers market outside the building a couple times a week, I think year round, and I had some really good food there. You can also catch a boat to Sausalito, which I don't remember being too expensive and you can order beer on the boat so I thought it was worth it just for the ride. In Sausalito there's a good restaurant called giraffe. The crab roll is good.

My experience is pretty limited though. Only been there a couple times.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12502 on: January 19, 2013, 07:04:40 am »

women who say they hate reading on dating websites.

:-(
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12503 on: January 21, 2013, 07:34:33 am »

Today I made some really delicious chicken and vegetable soup. I am blown away, because I always thought my mom's was somehow magical. Every other chicken soup disappointed me. Now I made one for the first time, without a recipe, and it kind of tastes like my mom's. I guess it's genetic.
My theory is that she doesn't use many onions, because my dad doesn't like them. I was out of onions. So it's mostly a celery and carrot and potato soup. Delicious.

a lady who seemed cute and cool contacted me on that dating website. Then as I read her profile/answers to questions my mouth slowly widened until my jaw unhinged like a boa constrictor of terror. So many red flags. So scary. So sad.

Today I read this collection of short comics and felt like all of modern fiction and comic-ry is trash. What we've lost with the "write what you know" mantra is any sense of the drama of the lives of everyday people who aren't writers or comic book writers. These short stories were all about window cleaners, failed businessmen, sewer department laborers... only one has a comic artist in it. Each one is a portrait of a real human having a real problem (not one is about an angsty writer with glasses who pines for the cute girl at school). It has been a long time since I have had an ideological belief about art, but lately I think that it's only real art if it gives you a tiny goddamn bit of sympathy or insight into the life of another human. When I read a little comic book some Japanese guy wrote fifty years ago and it reminds me of that mean girl at work, and I feel a little less anger towards her, that's real art. Normally I am interested in things that have no meaning whatsoever, so I am feeling pretty blown away.

Edit: fixed link because original website was sold out.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 04:58:43 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12504 on: January 21, 2013, 02:22:09 pm »

People tend not to notice that "write what you know" implies "don't write unless you know something."

Thank you for that link, which is extremely relevant to my interests.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12505 on: January 21, 2013, 05:34:32 pm »

a lady who seemed cute and cool contacted me on that dating website. Then as I read her profile/answers to questions my mouth slowly widened until my jaw unhinged like a boa constrictor of terror. So many red flags. So scary. So sad.

I love those questions. It really takes a lot of guesswork out of deciding who to message. So many deal-breakers. I especially like the basic math or logic questions.

"STALE is to STEAL as 89475 is to..."

"What is next in this series? 1, 4, 10, 19, 31, _"

If you get those wrong I don't care how cute you are.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12506 on: January 21, 2013, 08:25:59 pm »

I only message ladies who get those questions wrong in the same way I did.

(But seriously, I put "don't know, don't care" for the second one, but just noticed the pattern.)

A really intriguing woman just responded to me. With a multiparagraph thing about the nature of justice Mild awkwardness because she had previously ignored my roommate.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 08:38:13 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12507 on: January 21, 2013, 08:30:44 pm »

46
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12508 on: January 22, 2013, 01:28:18 pm »

Fret and fidget as I ponder what it will be like to do my first public foray as a speaker of sorts. There's gonna be a literary festival (emphasis on "festival") in May, and they'll have a panel on translation. I was asked to talk about the Joyce translation I did. I'm supposed to ANSWER QUESTIONS FROM THE PUBLIC. I mean, fuck it, let's wing it, but still. The prospect of talking about colors to color blind people is not very heartening...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 02:20:58 pm by dejavroom »
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12509 on: January 22, 2013, 03:09:53 pm »

Hopefully not too many philistines will think they are interested in a talk about a difficult foreign author in translation. I don't know, maybe you guys are hard up for entertainment down there.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 832 833 [834] 835 836 ... 878   Go Up