Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Yay us!
Happy 9th Birthday to TOUAMB.

Pages: 1 ... 859 860 [861] 862 863 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1343667 times)

0 Members and 149 Guests are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12900 on: April 30, 2013, 05:44:19 pm »

Its amusing to me to see childhood pictures of myself, deeply tanned from playing outside constantly and with long days at the beach without sunscreen.  My family used to joke that we knew summer had arrived when my brother and I had gotten our first blistering burn of the year.  When I moved back to the US as an 11 year old, I fit right into the majority Mexican school (until I spoke anyway). This has, naturally, completely wrecked my skin as an adult.  My skin doesn't exactly "tan" anymore - it turns an angry uneven reddish that fades into moderate freckling. I have liver spots, depigmented patches, hyperpigmented patches, and enough moles to keep the dermatologist in sportscars for the foreseeable future.  Literally, my Dermo takes annual pictures of my hide so we can spot any changes to my collection.  I've had 7 removed so far because they had suspicious features.  I keep an eye on the UV forecast now, and wear brimmed hats and sunscreen when it gets above 3 if I plan on spending any time outdoors.  Last Saturday I missed a spot just below my throat and have a weird arrowhead shaped burn from the unbuttoned polo shirt I was wearing while coaching for 5 1/2 hours on a cloudless day.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12901 on: April 30, 2013, 07:33:02 pm »

I didn't know about those. Can you.
Logged
[expletive deleted]

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12902 on: April 30, 2013, 08:46:30 pm »

I use those on my kids faces. For the rest of their bodies, I chase them with a can of the spray-on kind.

I use the spray-on kind myself (when Pedro reminds me to wear it). And I just bought myself a floppy sun hat, which I will probably also forget to wear.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12903 on: May 01, 2013, 05:06:41 am »

Those new sunscreen sticks that are like glue stick sized for your face and ears and such?
I am on that like white on rice!
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12904 on: May 01, 2013, 07:57:04 pm »

Flashbacks to my senior prom...Pedro wore brown shoes and white socks with a black tux!
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12905 on: May 01, 2013, 08:02:47 pm »

TIG...look down at my black shirt, continue on to my black jeans and then try to figure out how some brown shoes got on my feet.

Holy shit, I didn't even match the belt to the shoes.

Are you going to a biker funeral?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12906 on: May 01, 2013, 09:29:22 pm »

This is what I wore all day sunday. I literally untied and took my long-sleeved-shorts and a shirt layer off at the first belay ledge because I was so hot (it had been nearly freezing at night).

Logged
[expletive deleted]

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12907 on: May 01, 2013, 10:11:34 pm »

Quote
Ever heard of Rainbow Valley

The Everest one, right?

I'm sure your dignity will bounce back eventually, sMells.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 10:28:30 pm by Asherdan »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12908 on: May 01, 2013, 10:43:23 pm »

I have developed a palette of standard clothes colors that i look good in. I know I am bad at matching colors, so I just limited myself to only buying clothes that go together. Black was eliminated. I wear enough of that junk at work.

Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12909 on: May 01, 2013, 11:17:41 pm »

Today I'm gonna come home to find this framed and hanging in the den/game room.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12910 on: May 02, 2013, 02:07:58 am »

Wow, already? Good work, dude.

I have developed a palette of standard clothes colors that i look good in. I know I am bad at matching colors, so I just limited myself to only buying clothes that go together. Black was eliminated. I wear enough of that junk at work.

I only wear blue, black, or brown on the bottom half -- jeans, dress #####, skirts, shoes, belts, handbags, etc. (Notable exceptions: chuck taylors may be any color, and my running shoes have pink on them, which was unavoidable.) So no matter what shirts I buy, I always have some neutral bottom to wear it with. I tend to go with bright or bold colors on top, though I have a fair number of black t-shirts because that tends to be the color they print video game logos on.

Pedro has it narrowed down even further. He only has two colors of dress #####: chocolate brown and khaki. He wears t-shirts with jeans on weekends, but his dress shirts are all selected so that they look equally good with either brown (for fall and winter) or khaki (for spring and summer) and he wears a button-down (no tie) and dress ##### every day to work. He only has brown belts, brown shoes, and brown or khaki socks. Because he's partially colorblind, it's not even an issue of not having fashion sense -- he literally cannot tell the difference between black and navy, or between a shirt that is blue and one that is purple. He has one burgundy shirt, and it took me weeks to convince him that it's not black. I thought it was silly at first, but the dude looks good all the time, and it takes very little effort and the only time he asks for my help is when he's buying new clothes or when he needs to wear a tie.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12911 on: May 02, 2013, 02:26:49 am »

Dressing yourself for the day shouldn't require a lot of effort. I'm pretty aware of my clothing inventory and generally know what I wore this week so as to avoid repeats. I never thought about it, but most of my not-work shirts are blue or green and my ##### are either jeans or khaki colored shorts. On the other end of the spectrum you have this one guy I used to live with who turned a spare room into his walk-in closet/clothes changing room. On the rental insurance he itemized only his clothing and accessories and just disregarded everything else (TV/computer/furniture/etc) because he could always go buy a new computer, but it would be impossible to recreate his clothes collection. Basically I lived with Tom from Parks and Rec.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12912 on: May 02, 2013, 02:45:27 am »

Basically I lived with Tom from Parks and Rec.

I get that some dudes are like this, and that a lot of them are even straight, but to me that is really a turn-off. I see the appeal of a sharp dressed man, but if I get the sense that a dude spends more time picking out his clothes in the morning than I do, it just screams "DOUCHEBAG."

We all have our prejudices, I suppose.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12913 on: May 02, 2013, 03:38:24 am »

that's OK, I'm sure they don't think too highly of adults who wear video game t-shirts.

The other day I bought a band t-shirt for the first time in a while. It felt good.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12914 on: May 02, 2013, 04:11:32 am »

wow my effort to channel this chat into the proper thread just DID NOT TAKE
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: 1 ... 859 860 [861] 862 863 ... 878   Go Up