Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Dude abides.

Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1349646 times)

0 Members and 158 Guests are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2205 on: February 26, 2008, 01:01:37 am »


Aug-- it is like a 1 minute walk north of Delmar, right by the Tivoli.


Isn't the Tivoli on the south side of Delmar?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2206 on: February 26, 2008, 01:06:00 am »

well, yeah, I guess I meant to say... the little side-street that it's on is right on the other side of the road from the Tivoli.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2207 on: February 27, 2008, 12:51:57 am »

My experience is that happiness ultimately comes from avoiding these situations.
My advice on avoiding this situation in the future is to slash the motherfucker's tires.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2208 on: February 27, 2008, 03:34:14 am »

Today I went on a date with my husband.  Yay! 

Also, I received in the mail a new sling in which to carry my girl baby while chasing my boy child. 

And I used my vintage Gillette Lady Blue Star double-edged razor for the first time.  (I got it yesterday.)  Pedro has enjoyed wet shaving so much that I had to try it out -- I got a real bargain, a '66 vintage in good condition for $9. 

So.  Nice. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2209 on: February 27, 2008, 03:40:19 am »

The title of that Ebay ad is awesome.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2210 on: February 27, 2008, 04:01:00 am »

There were a series of text messages where... I think a guy I only kind-of know told me to "you could date her, be more aggressive" with his ex-girlfriend. This seems insane to me, but I am going to go with it.

in other news: yep, still pretty bad at math.

edit: apparently, bad enough at math that I didn't realize until now that each HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT is worth almost as much as an exam in this fuck*ng math class. My average is like a 50%? Awesome. Awesome. Now I can definitely not justify going to bed instead of finishing this homework.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 09:43:04 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2211 on: February 28, 2008, 12:38:10 am »

To be fair, that might be more of a reading comprehension issue.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2212 on: February 28, 2008, 05:29:40 am »

well, really, more of a "I had read the syllabus once, and forgot that they were worth so much" issue.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2213 on: February 28, 2008, 05:38:08 am »

There were a series of text messages where... I think a guy I only kind-of know told me to "you could date her, be more aggressive" with his ex-girlfriend. This seems insane to me, but I am going to go with it.

in other news: yep, still pretty bad at math.

edit: apparently, bad enough at math that I didn't realize until now that each HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT is worth almost as much as an exam in this fuck*ng math class. My average is like a 50%? Awesome. Awesome. Now I can definitely not justify going to bed instead of finishing this homework.
At N.Y.U., where competition and such was more fierce than say, here, dudes revised syllabi on a regular basis to see exactly how many points of the total grade each assignment/quiz/exam was worth and even projected impact on GPA. Such that a dude could know that his econ final was worth a .1 adjustment in his GPA
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2214 on: February 28, 2008, 05:50:59 am »

here, where I have trouble worrying about grades, I calculated that the final problem on the homework, which was worth 1% of my final grade, was not worth continued aggravation and lack of sleep.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2215 on: February 28, 2008, 06:05:24 am »

...today, I'm gonna buy tickets to the Eels show at the El Rey in April.

Because the Eels are some goddamned fine music, that's why.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2216 on: February 28, 2008, 06:48:01 pm »

... get my hair cut, because it's one of those times when it feels like that's the only thing I truly have control of in my life.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2217 on: February 28, 2008, 07:03:11 pm »

Interesting.

I have only two situations wherein I feel completely in control of my life.

1.) When I am writing in an empty room at night and there is music blaring.

2.) When I am driving on an empty road at night and there is music blaring.

Interesting.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2218 on: February 28, 2008, 07:11:15 pm »

And, of course, in all of those situations, the feeling is illusory: My hairstylist could give me a terrible haircut despite my specific instructions; you will eventually try to sell your writing, and probably find out part of why I feel this way right now, or more immediately a neighbor could call the police and have them make you turn the music down; and a car could come out of nowhere and crash into you.

Oh! Aren't I cheery today!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2219 on: February 29, 2008, 01:15:16 am »

today, my entire fiction class essentially said "your story blows" in various words.
I mean, actually, they told me that my characters were all shallow and cliched, there was too much dialogue, the dialogue didn't accomplish anything, I didn't describe anything enough, there was no conflict, and it was boring.
I mean, I guess now I know what to improve on in the second draft.

after this, I went to set up for the concert we're putting on tonight, and a girl told me a story which made my day. In some class (women's studies maybe?) they were talking about the sorry state of the American Educational System, and she couldn't remember the phrase "No Child Left Behind," so she ended up blurting out a question about the "No Country for Old Men" act.
So yeah, I have a pretty big crush on her.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 878   Go Up