Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Have some dignity.

Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1349595 times)

0 Members and 158 Guests are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2610 on: April 26, 2008, 08:33:52 pm »


Smells: How do you know?  I ask because before Pedro proposed, I suspected, but could not say with certainty. 

Well over time it has always been clearly state by the SO that he fully supported my lack of desire for marriage because of my dislike of the whole concept, but that he would marry me in a heart beat should I change my mind.  As many folks here know, about a year ago, I went through some heavy stuff with my family, where I talked with my parents for the first time about my mother's abuse and my father's abandonment. To no one's surprise, mom showed no interest in putting things right, or getting the psychiatric care she obviously needs, and dad continued to deny the whole situation, so I removed my self from the cycle of abuse by removing myself from their lives.  Though it's sad, I've achieved a peace and stability I've never known before now that I'm no longer experiencing a constant onslaught of unkindness.

So during this year of healing, I've come to realize who my real family is, and it's not biology in most cases (though a really great relationship with my sister has bloomed).  My family is my friends, and my family is my SO's family.  The SO and his family have given me the love I didn't get growing up.  They've loved me unconditionally, and without judgment.  My SO himself especially, but his whole clan... are just beautiful people.  They're my people.  I start to re-frame marriage in my mind, not as some loss of identity, but a claiming of my true identity.  The SO and I have discussions related to this, and he is clearly happy that I want to marry him.

Flash to January, I was informed by two companies of huge importance that they would be producing my plays next season, and are needing some info before their seasons are announced May 1st.  The productions were both a long time coming, but now they are really 100% happening.  And we're talking about my name becoming known nationally.  My name....  It suddenly occurs to me, that my highly unusual family name, is one I no longer want, and especially not one that I want to bring acclaim to.  Suddenly it becomes clear to me that I have the perfect opportunity to change my name.  I tell the SO this, he agrees.  I tell him that if we're going to get engaged that it will have to happen before May 1st so that we can tell people before all this publicity with my new name goes out to the general public (and our friends and loved ones with my future name on it.  He says no problem.  I know with 100% certainty that he's going to ask me to marry him.  I don't know how, or exactly when, but I know it'll be pretty soon.  The reason I'm thinking it will be today or tomorrow is that the SO is a terrible liar.  And he came home with a bunch of weird stuff he doesn't usually carry around, and said he had to go out on errands today, and when I asked if I could come with since I have some shopping to do, he said "No.... No...  you can't."  So he left this afternoon, after acting weird since yesterday... and he took odd things with him... and, well, he's clearly up to something.  And he made plans with me for tomorrow that are starting to seem like an odd excuse for whatever's really going on...  

Soon I will be betrothed!

I never, in a million years thought I would ever get married, and I definitely never thought I'd take my husband's name.  I never thought there could be a feminist reason to ever take your husband's name.  But apparently there is.  And apparently I am.  Huh.

It's like a rebirth.  This new me, that I'm just figuring out.  As such, we're likely doing it the day before I turn 30.  The other day it occurred to me that I get to have a new signature, a new official status, a new official family... It's pretty cool.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2611 on: April 26, 2008, 09:47:05 pm »

Tonight I am going to see a 40 piece ensemble including string section and Indian orchestra perform Sgt. Peppers in full.  I hope someone tries to pee on me because I really want an excuse to become extremely fuck*ng hostile.

Congratulations Mel.  Your fella is a lucky guy and I'm glad that he knows it.  Love and best wishes forever.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2612 on: April 26, 2008, 10:13:14 pm »

Im working on a final paper where Im saying Tony Soprano is the new John Wayne. Which means I actually had to watch some John Wayne. I had no idea how alike these two guys are.

Can we trade term papers please?

I'm happy for your happiness, Mel, that's awesome.
Logged

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2613 on: April 26, 2008, 11:22:15 pm »

Im working on a final paper where Im saying Tony Soprano is the new John Wayne. Which means I actually had to watch some John Wayne. I had no idea how alike these two guys are.

Wasn't there even an episode where he is watching a John Wayne movie (or maybe it was Clint Eastwood?) And you can totally tell how he is completely identifying with him?
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2614 on: April 27, 2008, 01:17:01 am »

smells, I am so happy that this is going on.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2615 on: April 27, 2008, 01:24:42 am »

Today me and my Missus PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2616 on: April 27, 2008, 02:05:02 am »

Today I'm gonna be terribly impressed by my husband's ability to direct a group of middle-and-high-school students into a cohesive troupe of actors capable of getting honest laughs from their audience. 

Also, today I'm gonna yell really, terribly, make-me-feel-like-an-awful-parent loud at my son when he gets frustrated and tips a playset over onto the baby, who was playing on the floor, minding her own business. 

Ugh.  I thought that having a child taught me everything there was to know about both love and fear. 

Then I had another one. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2617 on: April 27, 2008, 03:03:48 am »

Tonight I am going to see a 40 piece ensemble including string section and Indian orchestra perform Sgt. Peppers in full.  I hope someone tries to pee on me because I really want an excuse to become extremely fuck*ng hostile.

Please let us know what happens! With pictures, of course.

Mel, congrats and also please let us know what happens, because I am intrigued that a proposal could require such obvious and extended advance preparation. I thought all you needed was, like, a ring and a bended knee?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2618 on: April 28, 2008, 02:01:15 am »

I'll tell you the story of Pedro's proposal sometime.  It was an Event.  The whole course of activities took about sixteen hours, no lie. 

Can't wait to hear your story, smells!  I'm so excited for you! 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2619 on: April 28, 2008, 02:54:28 am »

Today I'm gonna look up from writing the above post and see earthworms crawling across my carpet.  Earth.  Worms.  Plural.  Apparently the weatherstripping in my ten-year-old, ground-floor apartment is shot, and the heavy rains we've had all day has scads of them looking for a dry place to sleep.  They're all "WOO HOO WORMS WORLD PARTY BRING IT ON" up in this piece. 

I flushed two, then realized that I don't know if that's the best way to handle them, so I collected the others in a cup to deal with later.  I caught five more, one came in and then left, and the ninth crawled UNDER THE CARPET.  I am really grossed out bythat last one.  I know they're harmless, and in their natural environment even quite beneficial, but...eeeew.  Any creature that can mate with its own lower half is not on my list of welcome house guests.  (That includes you, Marilyn Manson.) 

How you you kill a worm anyway?  They're like insect zombies: cut 'em up, they come back stronger.  I guess I'll have to settle for Pedro's plan -- throw 'em out the back door (with good weatherstripping), and duct tape both doors  shut. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2620 on: April 28, 2008, 03:20:49 am »

They're all "WOO HOO WORMS WORLD PARTY BRING IT ON" up in this piece. 

I flushed two

Acht! You'll pay for that!
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2621 on: April 28, 2008, 12:37:21 pm »

Well, actually, cutting them up will do it, but don't you have a yard or a garden or even some potted plants?  Worms are good for the soil. Put them outside near some plant you want to be helpful to.

They don't have brains - they won't turn right around and come back inside like mice do, you know?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2622 on: April 28, 2008, 01:39:08 pm »

J - Do you live in a log cabin all floating on top of the soil or something? If a worm wants to get into my house, its gonna take some climbing, or eating through concrete.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2623 on: April 28, 2008, 02:12:13 pm »

I think Pedro figured out why they were coming in -- our one-story town house is wheelchair-accessible, so there's a gradual incline from the sidewalk to the front door -- no stoop.  They must have come up to the sidewalk, as worms are wont to do, and then, encountering puddles there, instinctively sought higher ground by worming their way up the ramp and, ultimately, under the door. 

So probably chucking them back in the front yard, at least, will not keep them out of the house -- the same instinct that brought them in would likely do so again.  We chucked them out back instead.  And no, I don't have a garden or potted plants.  I don't really like...nature. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2624 on: April 28, 2008, 02:18:17 pm »

Well I guess the solution is the abandon the ADA.

I don't really like...nature. 
Nice. Canned.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 878   Go Up