Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

So now we know who reads the News Box.  Hello Jaydub.

Pages: 1 ... 389 390 [391] 392 393 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1347198 times)

0 Members and 183 Guests are viewing this topic.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5850 on: November 10, 2009, 07:31:19 am »

what i do is watch tv while i'm trying to get tired enough to fall asleep. if it puts me to sleep, i must not have enjoyed the show.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5851 on: November 10, 2009, 11:03:46 am »

*frugal dance*
I am imagining a very small, reserved dance, that doesn't waste too much energy.


I'm kind of out of love with the marathon sessions because it's how I watched the third season of Battlestar Galactica and I enjoyed it less without the enforced suspense from week to week. In the end I made myself only watch two episodes a week at max. Some shows benefit from TV pacing I think.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5852 on: November 10, 2009, 02:18:27 pm »

oh hey does anybody remember when amc only showed old movies without commercials and george clooney's dad introduced them

Yes. And I also remember when Bravo used to show movies with nudity.

Inev, I shopped at a Harris Teeter in central VA in college back in '98 but they didn't make it all the way up to DC until 4 or 5 years ago.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5853 on: November 10, 2009, 02:37:35 pm »

I am imagining a very small, reserved dance, that doesn't waste too much energy.

Precisely.

Harris Teeter frequently does triple coupons but I never have any. Where do people get these coupons that let them get their groceries for like $1.97?

The Sunday Paper. Check the middle section, where the ads are. Even if you only use three or four coupons, it pays for the cost of the paper. Harris Teeter doubles coupons every day, and they often run specials on items that correspond to that week's coupon selection. The best deals are usually Buy One/Get Ones, which are basically half-off sales (you don't have to buy two items to get the discount; a single item will ring at half-price). The sales flyer changes on Wednesdays and you can get it online.

Last night, the cashier forgot to ring three of my coupons, so I had to go to the customer service desk and have them refund the amount I overpaid. The manager scanned three coupons and gave me back $5.14. He actually did a double-take. It was pretty neat.

Yeah, it's less about money and more about winning. But saving $120 on stuff I've gotta buy anyway helps, too.

This catching up with old episodes on the internet and netflix or whatever is a not as easy as it seems.  I've been watching Xena episodes and it's taken me like all damn year to get through it.

Are you supposed to watch while you are doing something else?  I just don't have enough time to devote to that much television watching.

I watch while folding laundry. Pedro watches in the kitchen while he's loading the dishwasher. Sometimes, if I'm feeling indulgent, I knit while watching.

I'm not really capable of watching a screen without doing something fidgety at the same time. Last time I saw a movie in a theater and didn't bring knitting, I thought I was going to die of boredom, even though I ultimately enjoyed the film.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5854 on: November 10, 2009, 02:37:48 pm »

TCM is still commercial free.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5855 on: November 10, 2009, 02:40:13 pm »

Now I'm just trying to catch up on The Venture Brothers. So different from Mad Men, so good.

When the hell is Venture Bros. on?  I've had a number of people discuss this show, and it sounds like I'd enjoy it, but I can never actually find it on the teevee.

I hell of smashed Harris Teeter at triple coupons this weekend.  $38 worth of coupons.  A 75-cent coupon becomes $2.25 off, so you can get some things for free or almost-free.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5856 on: November 10, 2009, 02:43:33 pm »

When the hell is Venture Bros. on? 

Getcher self a TIVO/DVR and it won't matter.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

TedStriker

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Chucklebot
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 164
  • Over Macho Grande
    • View Profile
    • Follow me! To Freedom!
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5857 on: November 10, 2009, 02:46:22 pm »

The new season of Venture Bros has been as fantastic as usual, but I gotta say that I miss Brock, if only for Patrick Warburton's killer voice acting.

oh yeah:
...hope that it gets cold enough to properly enjoy a Christmas ale from our local microbrewery.
Logged
How surprising that your worldview is food-related.

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5858 on: November 10, 2009, 03:33:25 pm »

Feel awesome. Seriously, wonderfully awesome.  Like "I'm about to poop a friggin rainbow" awesome!  I am HAPPY and it's nice. (It's also the calm before the storm, but I'll take what I can get!)
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5859 on: November 10, 2009, 03:38:10 pm »

The Sunday Paper. Check the middle section, where the ads are. Even if you only use three or four coupons, it pays for the cost of the paper. Harris Teeter doubles coupons every day, and they often run specials on items that correspond to that week's coupon selection. The best deals are usually Buy One/Get Ones, which are basically half-off sales (you don't have to buy two items to get the discount; a single item will ring at half-price). The sales flyer changes on Wednesdays and you can get it online.

Last week my roommate got the Sunday paper so I looked through the coupons specifically because I new H-T was tripling. I looked through and didn't find a single usable coupon. The vast majority were store-specific (mainly Safeway) and the others were generally for $1 (thus un-triple-able) and/or for products I would never use. So as much as I'd like to take advantage of the triple weekends I really don't see how it's possible.

I get the e-VIC thing every Wednesday. Does the online flyer contain actual coupons or is it just an expanded listing of what's on sale with my card?

When the hell is Venture Bros. on?  I've had a number of people discuss this show, and it sounds like I'd enjoy it, but I can never actually find it on the teevee.

Sunday night/Monday morning at midnight. At the beginning it seems like a regular silly Adult Swim show but as you watch you realize there's actually a lot of continuity building and so many of the throw-away lines eventually become relevant. Season 4 is airing now and the first 3 are on DVD. I'd highly recommend starting at the beginning and watching in order or it will make no sense whatsoever. The 15-minute pilot is non-canon so you can skip it if you'd like.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5860 on: November 10, 2009, 04:10:21 pm »

Last week my roommate got the Sunday paper so I looked through the coupons specifically because I new H-T was tripling. I looked through and didn't find a single usable coupon. The vast majority were store-specific (mainly Safeway) and the others were generally for $1 (thus un-triple-able) and/or for products I would never use. So as much as I'd like to take advantage of the triple weekends I really don't see how it's possible.

I get the e-VIC thing every Wednesday. Does the online flyer contain actual coupons or is it just an expanded listing of what's on sale with my card?


It's just a list of what's on sale with your card.

There are a lot of things you just can't get coupons for - fresh produce, milk, eggs, etc. But some things you can get coupons for regularly - toothpaste, paper towels, dried pasta, toilet paper - and stock up on when you can double up. I got a tube of toothpaste for $0.25 yesterday. This works especially well if you're not picky about brand, but I use Bounty paper towels exclusively and I just look for the P&G Brand Saver (it comes out in the newspaper here on the first Sunday of the month) and snag the coupons out of there. They're usually lower-value than SmartSource and Red Plum, but that makes them better for doubling.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5861 on: November 10, 2009, 04:30:05 pm »

read this:

The new season of Venture Bros has been as fantastic as usual, but I gotta say that I miss Brock, if only for Patrick Warburton's killer voice acting.

then this:
"I'm about to poop a friggin rainbow"

and laugh because my mind merges them together.

(also viva paper towels make me like rainbow-poopin' happy)
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5862 on: November 10, 2009, 04:38:39 pm »

(also viva paper towels make me like rainbow-poopin' happy)

I don't like Viva paper towels because I feel like I'm wiping up my spills with a damn belgian waffle.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5863 on: November 10, 2009, 04:48:58 pm »

The new season of Venture Bros has been as fantastic as usual, but I gotta say that I miss Brock, if only for Patrick Warburton's killer voice acting.

oh yeah:
...hope that it gets cold enough to properly enjoy a Christmas ale from our local microbrewery.

Did Warburton leave the show or is he slated to return at some point? I don't like Sgt. Hatred so much.
Logged

rowboat

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -2666
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 180
    • View Profile
    • The Rats and People Motion Picture Orchestra
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5864 on: November 10, 2009, 05:04:01 pm »

rowboat i hope you don't think less of me ;_;

I'll probably watch mad men once it ends, three episodes a day for weeks, straight through. if i can make it through the first night I'll watch the whole thing.
Think less of you? Man, it ain't like that. I just think it's a helluva show and that it'd be sad if you only gave it such a fleeting chance. The thing about it is its historical accuracy. Besides the writing, the accuracy of the setting is one of the most crucial elements of the show. The clothing and decor are painstakingly historically accurate, so why shouldn't the social aspects so depicted? Better to come face to face with how far we've come (and how far we haven't) than to just turn a blind eye to it like it never happened. It sure as hell isn't glorifying that behavior. It just provides a no-shit history of a certain place and a certain time and I think it does so very entertainingly.

Anyway, I always condone the "wait till it's over and watch it all at once" approach. My girlfriend and I did that for the first three seasons of Lost (we both were very late to the party on that one) and I think I actually enjoy it a little less now having to wait a week between episodes. For that matter, that approach also works well for some of the more lengthy Achewood arcs. Case in point, I just reread and pretty well enjoyed he whole "Lash of Thanatos" arc after complaining about it all summer. It reads much, much better in a fifteen minute span than a three month one.
Logged
PS  I got shot by Ray again
Pages: 1 ... 389 390 [391] 392 393 ... 878   Go Up