Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No, Philippe! Too soon!

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1348768 times)

0 Members and 219 Guests are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #375 on: August 27, 2007, 05:16:47 am »

Hmm, is the thing being the addled board member who can't keep the cast of characters in Wombat's mind straight, or perving after the state-hopping 28-year old volunteer firefighter?

The thing is being the resident drunk, and I'm a little suspicious of you now, too. Lay off the sauce, dammit.

Well, I do the perving thing too - but I think that's pretty much open to everyone. I certainly don't want anyone feeling like he or she can't be perving for the constantly-commuting engineer.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #376 on: August 27, 2007, 05:21:18 am »

The thing is being the resident drunk, and I'm a little suspicious of you now, too. Lay off the sauce, dammit.
I have no choice, at the moment.  Due to bad planning, I just killed my keg of Hefe while the Pale Ale is still in the fermenter.  I've been resisting putting together an actual schedule for brewing, on account of it being too much like work.  I think I hate the idea of store bought beer for the next week more though.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #377 on: August 27, 2007, 03:17:36 pm »

...be late for work because I read this thread, and am typing this instead of showering.

Also, I will have to Have Words with someone who does not realize that flipping a shipwreck object around is not the same as fixing your texture issues.

You see, in one case the problems still exist but are in a different place.  In the other, the problems do not exist any more.

This man is one of the oldest in the building.  We should not have to have this conversation.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #378 on: August 27, 2007, 04:11:22 pm »

...be late for work because I read this thread, and am typing this instead of showering.

Also, I will have to Have Words with someone who does not realize that flipping a shipwreck object around is not the same as fixing your texture issues.

You see, in one case the problems still exist but are in a different place.  In the other, the problems do not exist any more.

This man is one of the oldest in the building.  We should not have to have this conversation.

Old men are forgetful. Cut him a break! For all you know, when you are his age you will be incontinent.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #379 on: August 27, 2007, 04:44:17 pm »

...steal wireless access from a neighbor until the cable guy shows up to connect our modem. 

He has fifteen more minutes.  Then I start making calls. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #380 on: August 27, 2007, 06:22:18 pm »

...steal wireless access from a neighbor until the cable guy shows up to connect our modem. 

He has fifteen more minutes.  Then I start making calls. 

When we moved into the new house I was at work, and my wife stayed home for two days to try to get that done. By the end of the second day, when I talked to her on the phone, her rage was so thick and palpable I could see it drifting out of the damn phone. Those guys pretty much just don't care.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #381 on: August 27, 2007, 06:35:33 pm »

I found out Comcast actually has a policy where you get a credit if your tech is late, but only if you call and ask for it. And of course only if you don't sign the tech's worksheet, the fine print of which says that you acknowledge that he was on time.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #382 on: August 27, 2007, 06:46:17 pm »

Today I'll be listening to Maynard James in all his various forms (well, excepting recordings of him on Mr. Show, although maybe I'll check out his work on Youtube) - and filling in for the boss, which I absolutely hate.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #383 on: August 27, 2007, 06:58:46 pm »

I called.  They had no record of the transfer request, change of address, change of telephone number, or the change of account name from when I got married six years ago. 

"I submitted this online two weeks ago," I said. 

"You should have called.  The web form doesn't always work."  The customer service rep was unsympathetic. 

"What?  I don't want to be rude, but why do you have a web form if it doesn't work?" 

"Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't," the rep explained.  "You should always call whenever you move.  I personally never trust doing things online." 

"Well," I said, "I transferred several services online, and this is the only one that hasn't gone through."  Plus, I added mentally, until recently Pedro wrote programs like this for a living, and I know that if a company knows what they are doing, a web form should not be live if it doesn't work. 

"Well, the earliest appointment I have is for next Tuesday.  Is that OK?" 

"I guess it has to be," I said.  We made the arrangements.  I called Pedro.  He was livid.  I gave him the number. 

Thirty minutes later, Pedro called back.  "I talked to the Vice President of Customer Relations.  Someone will come out today, she apologizes for the poor service you received, and she will personally make sure that the web form will be fixed so that it works 100% of the time." 

I guess the lesson here is that I am a pussy when it comes to being angry with customer service people, and should be exempt from making this kind of call in the future.  Also, Pedro's charisma knows no bounds.  That is all. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #384 on: August 27, 2007, 07:48:06 pm »

Well, Kelli, sure. Somebody nice is Linnea.  Kelli is Kellichou.  The post ratio is about 200:1 in Somebody nice's favour at this point, I think.

Oh man, that is the second time I've said Kellichou is Somebody nice.  It must be the twin thing.  Who sucks?  I do.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #385 on: August 27, 2007, 08:02:32 pm »



Thirty minutes later, Pedro called back.  "I talked to the Vice President of Customer Relations.  Someone will come out today, she apologizes for the poor service you received, and she will personally make sure that the web form will be fixed so that it works 100% of the time." 


Wow. Does he hire himself out? Because if I go downstairs in a minute and my expensive premium Japanese tv station still isn't working, I am going to want heads to roll.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #386 on: August 27, 2007, 08:28:06 pm »

No bad on you, JL - it's just cool that Pedro can bring the wicked strong sack like that. It's cool to be able to share the responsibilities. I have to say, though, that this has a flavor of that same thing where the customer service chowderheads blow off women and pay attention to men. That sort of shit ought to be punished with force.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #387 on: August 27, 2007, 09:07:36 pm »

wait..

wait...

your internet provider doesn't trust the internet to get business done?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #388 on: August 27, 2007, 09:28:55 pm »

wait..

wait...

your internet provider doesn't trust the internet to get business done?

inev all getting to the heart of the matter.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #389 on: August 28, 2007, 12:35:11 am »

No bad on you, JL - it's just cool that Pedro can bring the wicked strong sack like that. It's cool to be able to share the responsibilities. I have to say, though, that this has a flavor of that same thing where the customer service chowderheads blow off women and pay attention to men. That sort of shit ought to be punished with force.

I have no idea why this is - I guess people just have this innate, deep feeling that a man's time is worth more? Even going on EMS calls I prefer to have a male partner, because even just his silent presence will cause chowderheads to cooperate.

wait..

wait...

your internet provider doesn't trust the internet to get business done?
inev all getting to the heart of the matter.

Fuck yes. That's awesome.

Logged
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 878   Go Up