Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Chris Onstad does not wear makeup. Life hasn't given him any funny ideas about who he is.

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1349816 times)

0 Members and 140 Guests are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #480 on: September 11, 2007, 12:51:26 am »

I didn't realize that US technology had progressed far enough to detect names. I thought only positron scans could pull that off.
And from fetuses, no less.  I guess the tabula rasa theory of language acquisition truly belongs in the dumpster these days.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #481 on: September 11, 2007, 01:48:21 am »

Today I expect a horrible day at work due to JAPAN. Foreseeing this, I drove Spouse's Weeee to work.

The only top that ain't on a woman I'm interested in when it comes down.

That is a damn fine car.

But!  Tomorrow I go to the doctor for my 20-week ultrasound, so after 4:30 I will know my baby's name with 95% accuracy.  So tomorrow will probably suck less than today. 

Can you tell us the top names you've picked out? Or will that attract the Evil Eye by telling?
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #482 on: September 11, 2007, 02:43:26 am »

For a girl: Hero Elizabeth Dunston. 

For a boy: Robert Eugene Dunston. 

Yes, I've taken plenty of crap on both counts.  Half my friends and family are praying for a boy so that I don't burden a poor girl with Hero; the other half are praying for a girl because Eugene is so horrible, even as a middle name.  Whatever.  I have one friend who claims she will simply refuse to call my child by her name if it turns out to be a girl.  I think this is basically the rudest thing you can say to someone about her chosen baby names and it kind of irritates me.  Then again, she said the same thing about P, going on and on and on about how horrible it is to name your son after his father, it's the height of vanity and it's a burden on the child, et cetera, ad nauseum...but he doesn't think twice about calling him Pearce now that he's here and she's used to it. 

Elizabeth, Robert, and Eugene are all family names -- My mother is Roberta and my father is Eugene (they go by Bobbie and Gene), if it's a boy he'll go by Rob or Red.  Hero is a literary name that appears in Greek mythology (Hero and Leander) as well as the better-known Shakespeare play Much Ado About Nothing.  We happen to like it, but in the event that she doesn't, she can always go by one of the billion or so variations on Elizabeth, which also happens to have been my great-grandmother's name. 

So those are the names.  I'll let you know which one it will be tomorrow.   ;D
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #483 on: September 11, 2007, 03:01:50 am »

For a girl: Hero Elizabeth Dunston. 

For a boy: Robert Eugene Dunston. 

Yes, I've taken plenty of crap on both counts.  Half my friends and family are praying for a boy so that I don't burden a poor girl with Hero; the other half are praying for a girl because Eugene is so horrible, even as a middle name.  Whatever.  I have one friend who claims she will simply refuse to call my child by her name if it turns out to be a girl.  I think this is basically the rudest thing you can say to someone about her chosen baby names and it kind of irritates me.  Then again, she said the same thing about P, going on and on and on about how horrible it is to name your son after his father, it's the height of vanity and it's a burden on the child, et cetera, ad nauseum...but he doesn't think twice about calling him Pearce now that he's here and she's used to it. 

Elizabeth, Robert, and Eugene are all family names -- My mother is Roberta and my father is Eugene (they go by Bobbie and Gene), if it's a boy he'll go by Rob or Red.  Hero is a literary name that appears in Greek mythology (Hero and Leander) as well as the better-known Shakespeare play Much Ado About Nothing.  We happen to like it, but in the event that she doesn't, she can always go by one of the billion or so variations on Elizabeth, which also happens to have been my great-grandmother's name. 

So those are the names.  I'll let you know which one it will be tomorrow.   ;D

I want to fly over there and bitch-slap both those people for saying such STUPID SHIT TO YOU. Arrrrgh!!

My best friend Jennifer is pregnant. She and her husband are keeping names secret because they're so agitated at responses that friends have gotten. There won't be many people to argue with them, since nobody will find out the baby's name until it is on the birth certificate. Hard to say snide things after it's all said and done.

And fuck those people, I think that Hero Elizabeth and Robert Eugene are great names.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #484 on: September 11, 2007, 03:18:14 am »

Thanks for the vote of support. 

It's appalling what people think they have the right to tell you when you're pregnant/have kids.  Basically everyone seems to be looking for a reason to say "you're doing it wrong."  I think the next time my friend gives me a hard time about my baby names, I'm going to look her in the eye and say, "At least I didn't name my kid after a plant."  (Her daughter's name is Lilly, and yes, she was born pre-Harry Potter, just barely.)  Granted, I like the name Lilly, but still.  It's kind of a stupid name if you think about it really, really hard.  And squint. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #485 on: September 11, 2007, 03:24:01 am »

I love weird names. My kids are going to get so much shit.

Actually, no. I like Old names. so I will probably name my kids really generic names. Biblical names? Possibly.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #486 on: September 11, 2007, 03:33:03 am »

I like a lot of biblical names.  Especially names from the Torah.  If I had boy twins I would name them Elijah and Elisha. 

My grandmother's name was Ruth, and she was very close to her husband's sister Naomi.  I thought that was cool, the way it matched up with the bible story and all, sort of. 

When Mom was expecting me, she only picked one name, and I was going to get it no matter which gender I turned out to be.  She wanted to name me Jamie Jean, but Dad didn't want me named after him at all.  So she picked Lynn for the middle name instead, because it's a nice placeholder but doesn't sound too country. 

Dad wanted to name me Courtney.  I'm really *not* a Courtney. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #487 on: September 11, 2007, 03:37:43 am »

If my girlfriend and I were to ever create children:

Edward Alan for a boy, Katherine Casey for a girl.

The boy... Edward was her father's name and also the name of my step-grandfather who is as much a grandfather as anyone could be... and Alan for my childhood hero, my cousin Al, who died very young and quite tragically when I was barely a teenager.

The girl... have you ever listened to the full lyrics to "Take Me Out to the Ballgame?" That is why.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #488 on: September 11, 2007, 03:44:07 am »

Catherine is my second girl's name.  I love the name...I have an aunt Cathy, but really she would be named for Catherine the Great.  (No hoss jokes, please...I get enough of those from Pedro.  He doesn't happen to like the name.)  The middle name would be Grace, after Adrian's mother and also his paternal grandmother.  It's his sister's middle name, too.  (Graciela, anyway.) 

I'm all about the family names.  I suppose after looking in my family tree I ought to consider "Uberto..." that shows up in three generations...but that might be even worse than Eugene.  At least Eugene is a good, strong Polish name.  Uberto is just...odd.  Especially coming from the British side of the family. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #489 on: September 11, 2007, 03:46:44 am »

If you're naming your second girl Catherine, you should just go ahead and name the first one Elizabeth.  Worked for us.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #490 on: September 11, 2007, 04:05:42 am »

Well, I do try to be more like you, Carlos. 

When I wake up in the morning, I look at my WWCD? bracelet, and smile. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #491 on: September 11, 2007, 04:33:51 am »

We're all about family names.

My first name is one GF's, my middle name is the other's middle name.

First daughter's first name has at least four connections, three on one side, one on the other.  Middle name equally ponderous with genealogical significance.

Second daughter = GM's first name + my middle name (see above).

Why?  Because I love HISTORY dammit.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #492 on: September 11, 2007, 05:23:58 am »

JL, I'll bet you didn't even consider Eli Cole.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #493 on: September 11, 2007, 05:30:12 am »

Today ill make my normal trip to the 9/11 ground zero site. Aside from paying my respects, Its always interesting to see the protesters and counter-protesters. last year it came damn near a fisticuffs riot, so some group of dudes just started chanting "LETS GO YANNNKEESS". I also remember one of the counter-protesters asking if everyone could just agree we hate Lex Luther as his parting statement.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #494 on: September 11, 2007, 05:57:15 am »

The fact that early attempts to turn the unity around 9-11 into a political tool ended up turning it into one of the most divisive issues in America today... kinda says all you need to know about American politics today, doesn't it?

The second "we all stand together" became "we must all stand together behind the president no matter what he says or else you're a terrorist"... it all sorta went tits up.

Can't escape the feeling that if we had reacted differently at the beginning, we could've healed together stronger for surviving the tragedy all of us together.

But that ain't how it went down, of course. Of course.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 878   Go Up