Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Irish Nachos are a charming take on the original, but I wonder what Uighur Nachos would be like. A mutton leg on a crisped pita?

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1349200 times)

0 Members and 197 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #750 on: October 15, 2007, 12:38:12 am »

Ricardo's.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #751 on: October 15, 2007, 02:07:20 am »

For lunch we went to this little Jewish deli which... has this kosher salami that...
2 slices of wheat bread, 1 slice of munster cheese, about an inch thick of salami, mustard. heated. greatest sandwich I have had in my life.

Kosher salami?? Really? I have never had beef salami, I've only had salami made from pork, which is decidedly non-kosher. It's also not kosher to mix dairy and meat at the same meal. Kosher sandwiches with meat do not contain any dairy. They probably put cheese on there for the goyim.

Still, that sounds like a grelicious sammich.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #752 on: October 15, 2007, 02:10:17 am »

oh, yes, I requested cheese.

The first time I had it, my friends told me it couldn't be salami, since salami couldn't be kosher (since it's pork.)
For some reason they said it must have been Pastrami. So then... I had a pastrami sandwich. That shit is nasty.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #753 on: October 15, 2007, 02:34:22 am »

I don't even know if Ohio *had* a state fair, but it wasn't a thing (at least in my neck of the woods).  We had a county fair growing up, but it was -- for lack of better terminology -- lame. 

Dude, you <are> kidding, right? Ohio has a huge State Fair and it's awesome.


http://www.answers.com/topic/ohio-state-fair

"The Ohio State Fair is one of the largest state fairs in the United States. In 2006 the attendance was 814,512, up 12,000 from 2005.[1] The state fair contributes as much as 280 million dollars to the state economy. It is held in early August in Columbus, Ohio."



Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #754 on: October 15, 2007, 02:49:05 am »

Well, to be fair, Columbus IS short of the forgotten part of Ohio.

For example, I am told that it has an NHL team but... that doesn't make any sense.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #755 on: October 15, 2007, 03:18:37 am »

Oh, Columbus.  That's why. 

What LFM said. 

I grew up in Toledo, which is basically the little part of Michigan nobody wanted.  The legend was that there was a war between Michigan and Ohio to see who would get it, and Ohio lost.  Toledoans root for Detroit pro teams (even though there's a hockey team in Columbus now, because they suck) and are fairly evenly divided between Michigan and Ohio State when it comes to college ball. 

I think actually some people might root for the Browns over the Lions, but that's because the Lions have sucked since the mid-eighties.  But we probably had as many Packers fans in Toledo as Browns fans. 

The fair was nice, we stayed way too late and I ended up passing up the deep fried PB&J for a chocolate-dipped (non-fried) frozen cheesecake.  Pedro got a deep fried twinkie and we split a funnel cake with my folks.  Pearce covered his ears every time we came within sight of the midway, and by the end his arms were so tired that he would lean forward and rest his elbows on the tray of his stroller.  It was cute.  He really liked seeing the animals, though -- surprisingly, he was really fascinated by the bees -- and there were some absolutely adorable piglets in one pen, about ten of them, that he watched for quite a while.  He found the fireworks too loud, and I covered his ears for him (his little arms were just too tired by then), but he enjoyed watching them as long as the sound was muffled. 

So, we ate junk food, saw some cows, and watched fireworks.  All in all, a rousing success. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #756 on: October 15, 2007, 04:40:58 pm »

He really liked seeing the animals, though -- surprisingly, he was really fascinated by the bees -- and there were some absolutely adorable piglets in one pen, about ten of them, that he watched for quite a while.

There's something hypnotic about the way bees move when they fly.  They're sort of like fuzzy little helicopters.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #757 on: October 15, 2007, 10:29:17 pm »

Today I gave a presentation over my research so far over the US Congress' reaction to the Tito-Stalin split.  Oh yeah, and also, I wrote the thing from 4am to about 10am over research I was supposed to be doing for a month.  I was going to start on Saturday but I just sat there depressed over how badly I fucked up and how this is my capstone and I just need to pass it and be done with college already and I am going to have to drop it and be in ok til may and...  The problem was that, while the research was supposed to take a month, I already know a good deal about my subject and just had to basically come up with a source trail and bull shit about the sources and what I am going to do next.  I made an A on the first assignment, and I am pretty sure I got at least a C on this one.  (I Wrote Something really long and inconsequential here) or it could be an A.  It is one of those things.  Either I completely over or Underestimated this assignment,


Anyway, even if I got a 50% on this assignment, with the previous A I need to average  about a 75 to get a C, and I have gotten A's in three of this cats classes before. 

What does all this mean??  Tonight I am drinking a six pack of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale to celebrate the fact that it is still very, very likely that I will be going to San Francisco (ie, Northern California) by the end of January, latest.  Yeah, I could have gotten Anchor Steam, but realy, I prefer the good old solid Sierra Nevada.  Also, I got it to watch the Red Sox and Rockies win.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #758 on: October 16, 2007, 01:09:01 am »

...I'm looking forward to seeing what deep-fried atrocities they have this year.  The deep-fried candy bars are a classic at this point; last year the most disgusting thing I could find were the deep-fried oreos.  I hear that this year some vendors are hawking deep-fried PB&J sandwiches.  I can only imagine what that's like.

So I had this idea once where I would freeze gravy, then batter-dip it, then deep-fry it. I felt that one may be able to market it as breakfast food to southerners.
Logged

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #759 on: October 16, 2007, 07:17:05 pm »

Not quite the same thing, but close: http://archive.southcoasttoday.com/daily/01-99/01-16-99/a05op025.htm

Reading that makes me hungry even though I just ate. I am a slave to fried foods.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #760 on: October 16, 2007, 07:25:15 pm »

The idea of being a slave to Southern cooking is just so funny in a macabre sorta way that I had to make note of it.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #761 on: October 16, 2007, 07:47:37 pm »

"Cream gravy"? I think I just threw up a little in my mouth. Don't get me wrong, I love a tasty gravy. Gravy fries are one of life's great pleasures when eaten quickly, but gravy != white. Ever.

Also, why has it become so hard to find fried ice cream? It used to be that every crappy mexian chain had it but now I can't find it anywhere. Vanilla ice cream + honey + whipped cream + cherry + tasty fried coating = Yes, please!
Logged

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #762 on: October 16, 2007, 08:53:42 pm »

I live in Columbus.  It's pretty rad.

I've been to the state fair once.  It's hot, huge, and they don't sell beer.  I thought this was a bad thing until I counted how many overheated hillbillies there were running around after ten hours of junk food, crappy rides and hoss barns.  Now I know that selling alcohol at the Fairgrounds would be Bad For Everyone.  If I ever go back, I'm bringing a flask.

And I've been to probably 125 Blue Jacket home games.  The team might not be that great on the ice but they know how to put on a three-hour extravaganza of entertainment.  The arena is very nice.  The owner is this wrinkly old chubby guy who uses a scooter to get around.  He loves the team, the city loves him for bringing us wintertime pro sports, and the players at least seem to prefer Columbus to Edmonton w/r/t quality of life.

Sneaking a flask into a barn full of chickens and reassuring yourself that life is better here than it would be in Edmonton: I am truly proud to be an Ohioan.
Logged

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #763 on: October 16, 2007, 11:12:03 pm »

"Cream gravy"? I think I just threw up a little in my mouth. Don't get me wrong, I love a tasty gravy. Gravy fries are one of life's great pleasures when eaten quickly, but gravy != white. Ever.

Also, why has it become so hard to find fried ice cream? It used to be that every crappy mexian chain had it but now I can't find it anywhere. Vanilla ice cream + honey + whipped cream + cherry + tasty fried coating = Yes, please!

So, white gravy is basically soul food for me, along with boiled potatoes and fried deer steak.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #764 on: October 16, 2007, 11:30:09 pm »

I really really want a big ol' Yam. I mean, like... baked? The kind that they cook over coals.

I was reading a book yesterday where the guy ate one, and now I want one so much. They have Sweet Potato Fries here sometimes, but, not today of course.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 878   Go Up