Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Yay us!
Happy 9th Birthday to TOUAMB.

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1349202 times)

0 Members and 196 Guests are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #765 on: October 16, 2007, 11:53:16 pm »

I really really want a big ol' Yam. I mean, like... baked? The kind that they cook over coals.

I was reading a book yesterday where the guy ate one, and now I want one so much. They have Sweet Potato Fries here sometimes, but, not today of course.

Thanks to Deb Duchon I can't hear the word "yam" without immediately thinking "man yams." That plus sweet potatoes aren't yams.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #766 on: October 17, 2007, 12:06:47 am »

well, yes, but they are called Yams.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #767 on: October 17, 2007, 03:26:40 am »

I dunno, can you guys keep up with the West Edmonton Mall?

Oh, damn, man. You've hit one of my shameful childhood memories: the year our road trip included a visit to the Edmonton Mall, and I about died of spontaneous joy overload. The water sides alone, man.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #768 on: October 17, 2007, 05:07:11 am »

Yesterday my SGC took me to the fuck*ng Colorado Rockies NLCS game...Game #4, which we promptly won and swept the series. THE ROCKIES ARE GOING TO THE WORLD SERIES, ALL! The Rox have won the last 21 games out of the last 22 they've played. We have a 2007 National League Championship series pennant hanging in our stadium now. It's incredible. Plus only one dude tried to jump onto the field, and was immediately tackled by about six police officers and jailarity ensued. It was an amazing game. I don't know jack about baseball, but my SGC is a huge baseball nerd, and it's adorable to see how excited he was and happy to be at the game. It was like watching a little kid at Christmas, except the dude is 29 and we drank overpriced shitty Coors until the 7th inning.

So yeah, I got about four hours of sleep last night. Then I went to my second day of work, which went well. I am so fortunate to have such a rad job, and I really like the folks that I work with. I am relieved to find that I cannot access ANY internets there. It will keep me productive. I think I might have an interwub addiction, or at the very least it makes me unproductive.

I just got back from the dealership. I am the proud new owner of an AWD vehicle, a Subaru. It's gonna kick much ass this winter. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm exhausted, and I need to get some sleep. **EDITED to add, 2300 posts. Woo.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 05:22:16 am by linnea »
Logged

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #769 on: October 17, 2007, 05:49:58 am »

there is a Ghostface Killah free show on campus Sunday. 

Wow, that is a quality show especially compared to my school's Gym Class Heroes show.
Logged
ACHIEVE

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #770 on: October 17, 2007, 07:19:06 pm »

Today I am a parent volunteer on a kindergarten field trip to a pumpkin patch.  I'll let you know how that goes...
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #771 on: October 18, 2007, 06:10:17 pm »

...get a haircut so that I am ready for reserve duty this weekend. I also have a physical fitness test that I was given only 10 days notice for. (usually we have at least two months or so.)
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #772 on: October 20, 2007, 04:57:43 am »

I thought I'd start a random thread where people can state the activities of the day.

Today I'm going to take the bus down to the police HQ (the no job and no car thingy in action). I have to get certified as an EMT in Colorado, and that involves a bunch of paperwork. This includes getting my fingerprints taken by a law enforcement agency so that the FBI and CBI can run a background check. The rules are (understandably) Byzantine. I'm waiting for my CPR Instructor card to come in the mail so that I can get photocopies of it. That's the last piece of documentation I need.

Hopefully all this crap will coalesce so that I can at least get a job as a medic until something else pans out.

GUESS WHO IS NOT AN EMT IN THE STATE OF COLORADDY. Guess. Actually, I'll give you three guesses but the first two don't count.

I just called the fuck*ng CDHPE today, they lost my fingerprint card. THEY LOST IIIIITTTT!!! They said that they never received it, which is bullshit. I know I mailed it in... but God only knows where it is. Good job for not sending it certified mail. That was such a great idea, self. Anyway, the check was never cashed. Somebody owes me big for this, god damn it!

I'm so pissed. I don't even wanna do it anymore, not for Basic certification. what a load of shit. Seriously, gubmint assholes who have nothing better to do than try and make it tough for someone to find work...fuck you in your filthy ears. I hate you.

Anyway. Today I'm gonna go buy a pair of dress shoes for a wedding to complete my outfit. I'm taking my SGC as my date. I'm wearing a black and white dress with a black cashmere sweater, and I'm thinking about getting some round-toe pumps, possibly peep-toe if I have time to do a self pedicure. I also need to buy some stockings and then I should be all set.  I also have to figure out what to do about a purse, since I will need a small black clutch to carry. Hmmmm.

jay-d, how did the punkin patch duty go? Were you swarmed by a bunch of wee little kids and trapped like Gulliver?
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #773 on: October 21, 2007, 02:36:57 pm »

Today Im gonna eat food only inspired by achewood. Im home with an oven and stuff so I can do this rude. I dont actually have the cookbook so Im going partly based on wombat's webpage. Breakfast: Hell Baby and Communist pancakes. Lunch: Galaxy Nachos Dinner: Beer Butt chicken on the grill. Its Sunday, Im an American, I can do this.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #774 on: October 21, 2007, 03:31:36 pm »

Oh man, I make so much beer butt chicken that I have the special stand thing that holds the can better.  I'm not sure if you've made it before so here are some pointers you may already know:  1) Make a mix of herbs you like and a bit of oil and push this under the skin and rub it into the meat really well for added flavour.  2) tuck the wing tips under the skin-flap at the neck hole - otherwise they'll get over cooked.  3) I've found wine butt to be just as good if not better - empty a pop can and refill half way with wine, crushed garlic cloves and herbs and you've got a damn tasty chicken. 4) a nice touch is to brush the entire chicken with a coating of high quality bbq sauce 10 min before you take it off the grill - this enhances the crispiness of the skin and adds major flavour points.  5) It's very important to let the chicken stand for 10 -15 min after taking it off the grill before you carve it up - otherwise the juices just drain out when you cut it.

Enjoy.  It is truly a meal of kings.

Today I am going to prepare a spicy Cassoulet that will cook tomorrow in the slow cooker.  I don't really do it traditional style as I add things like sweet potatoes, and chipotle but it's a damn fine fall meal.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #775 on: October 21, 2007, 03:35:45 pm »

.  5) It's very important to let the chicken stand for 10 -15 min after taking it off the grill before you carve it up - otherwise the juices just drain out when you cut it.

This is pretty much true for any piece of meat.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #776 on: October 21, 2007, 03:59:11 pm »

Oh man, I make so much beer butt chicken that I have the special stand thing that holds the can better.  I'm not sure if you've made it before so here are some pointers you may already know...

As indicated by the picture you see to your left, making beer butt chicken is something I've enjoyed. Using the remaining chicken as a communal man ceremony beer mug is optional.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #777 on: October 21, 2007, 04:32:26 pm »

Today I'm gonna go to a corn maze out in Maryland. Apparently it's pirate-themed.

Last night I had to blow off seeing The Cliks because the SO thought 9:30 was too late of a start time for a show with two openers. Personally I think no real concert starts before 10 or has seats.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #778 on: October 21, 2007, 05:53:38 pm »

today I'm going to go clean stuff up at the radio station, and then write a Political Theory paper which will probably kick my ass. Right now I feel sick to my stomach and I'm not really sure why. Part of it is being hungry, but there's a weird edge to it which I don't associate with being hungry. Hmm. I slept really badly, so, maybe it has something to do with that.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #779 on: October 21, 2007, 06:07:46 pm »

This is pretty much true for any piece of meat.

Yes, you are supposed to rest the meat. It will continue cooking for a few minutes, and then the juices will redistribute themselves nicely. AugustWest is a a country squire of meat.

Also, what smells said about the oil and herbs - excellent - what I do is soften butter, beat in the herbs you want, and rub that all under the skin of the chicken, being careful to leave the skin intact. That'll bring the flavor and give you a nice, crispy, delicious skin.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 878   Go Up