Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

HIDE YOUR SHAME
by wearing new t-shirts from Word Front Wares. Shroud yourself in pure unadulterated awesome.

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1349737 times)

0 Members and 149 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #810 on: October 25, 2007, 12:49:39 am »

yeah, their orbits are insane. I was thinking of Tarsiers, who live in Southeast Asia. Tamarinds live in South America, and are part of the Callitrichidae!

so, to sum up:
Tarsiers != Tamarinds
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #811 on: October 25, 2007, 01:21:00 am »

No, no! Tamarind is a plant with edible seed pods used in Asian cuisine.  Tamarin is the primate from South America. Please do not confuse the two, particularly in cooking.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #812 on: October 25, 2007, 02:14:03 am »

oh, oops. I knew that.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #813 on: October 25, 2007, 06:53:45 am »

Today I'm gonna sleep in my bed, which is still here and, to my knowledge, not on fire.  The Santa Anas have really died down and life is pretty good near the coast where I live.  Plus, work tomorrow is optional.  I'm still going in, though.

Probably.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #814 on: October 25, 2007, 07:24:25 pm »

Air quality is so bad it's like smoking a carton a day.

And I thought I wanted to move to California before!

Seriously though, be careful.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #815 on: October 25, 2007, 07:41:39 pm »

today:
class, office hours, class, dinner with my old roommate, write a film paper.

I got back the exam. Well, I wouldn't say I rocked its can or anything, but I definitely got some play. Also, not that I am competitive about this kind of thing, but... I am pretty happy about how I did relative to other people I know in the class.
You know, cause it doesn't mean a thing if the exam is all slutty and stuff.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #816 on: October 25, 2007, 09:46:06 pm »

inev, that analogy is getting increasingly weird.

Can'd for tarsier skull, though.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #817 on: October 25, 2007, 11:39:58 pm »

The sunlight was less orange today, and my car was not lightly dusted with ash, so things are lookin' up!!
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #818 on: October 26, 2007, 12:00:43 am »

today, I realized that I need to declare a major in 4 months. Right when... suddenly I don't know if I want to major in Psych, which is what I'd always assumed I would major in. Especially because I have been told that it stops being fun in the next few classes. Anthropology, on the other hand, just gets more and more awesome as far as I can tell. Also significant is the fact that so far Linguistics is not nearly as interesting as I thought it would be, which partially rules out the interdisciplinary program I was planning on doing as my major. Hm.
Also, the fact that I'm not sure what I want to major in makes me freak out about classes for next semester. I feel like I need to somehow magically take a ton of psych and anthro and cognitive science between now and February. I also really want to take the continuation of the poli-sci class I am in. These things are not all possible.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #819 on: October 26, 2007, 01:48:21 am »

1) I know declaring a major feels like a big deal... but aren't' you allowed to change your major?  I know plenty of people who changed their major 2 or 3 times here.  I double majored in English and theatre for one term, which was really hard but worth it in the end.

2) Could you get permission to sit in on a few of the classes that you just can't squeeze in or that you would take if they turn out to be what you major in - just for two or three classes?  In my experience profs are very open to this.  Infact they love this shit.  This way you can get a taste of the other stuff, and find out if it's really as you imagine it being before you dedicate yourself to it completely.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #820 on: October 26, 2007, 02:00:59 am »

oh man, straight-up good idea.
I will sit in on some Archaeology classes, and a psych class that I am interested in. Clever!

you are so wise.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #821 on: October 26, 2007, 02:05:27 am »

Auditing is good, inev. Most profs will be really okay with it, and it's a great way to get material that you don't have the time to take properly. I only audited one class in college, but it was incredible, and I wish I'd done it more.

In terms of majors... honestly, I'd advise you to major in something that you really enjoy. If your college is anything like mine, the class load in the subject you decide to major in will only increase as the years go by, which is going to be very painful if you don't love your major. If nothing else, do you have an advising program worth a damn? It might be worth talking to an advisor; major-declaration confusion is a common problem, especially among students like you (bright, with a lot of interests but no clear "goal"), and a good advisor might be able to give helpful advice.

Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #822 on: October 26, 2007, 02:17:02 am »

EDIT: this post turned into me freaking out, and I realize now that it was not really what I was freaking out about. I am going to talk to my advisor about my major plans soon.
to sum up what was previously here: some of these majors I am considering require like 8 billion classes, and some of them are like "have fun and explore your interests!"
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 02:58:48 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #823 on: October 26, 2007, 11:17:09 am »

today, I am going to finish a film paper, sleep, go to class. Then I will have band practice, during which we need to pick a name we will still be OK with in a month when we are doing a Battle of the Bands. Then I will go see Barack Obama give a speech downtown. Afterwards, I will hopefully take a short but satisfying nap before heading over to the big annual radio station party that we're throwing.
There is an awkward thing where people were really indiscreet about it, and our Faculty Sponsor definitely got emails that had a lot of "informal mixer *WINK WINK!*" stuff in them. I am confused about why this happened, as we agreed that we would not say anything incriminating on any potential level, as obviously any student party is going to be under suspicion, and we will get in a shit-load of trouble if they find out there is alcohol at a party we're officially sponsoring. this has been an issue in the past.
Although I am a huge fan of:
Quote
Annual Mixer this Saturday. Teams of 4. Entry fee, 12 dollars. Registration Forms will be due by friday. Please come even if you aren't competing, everyone is welcome.
Because, you know, that is not suspicious at all.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #824 on: October 26, 2007, 11:26:32 am »

Why do people need to be in teams to go to your party? I figured it was in relation to some sporting comp but then it's sponsored by your radio station, just please elaborate so I can stop envisioning people socialising in tag teams and such.
"And now the akward small talk doubles..."

Also re: alcohol
Your country needs to get isself a sane drinking age so people can stop having half their job description be 'stop the kids from drinking' fuck*ng college administrators should have more important shit to worry about.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 878   Go Up