Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I had to look up how pi is derived. It has been sixteen years since the SAT, yet still, I feel very ashamed

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1349724 times)

0 Members and 150 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #825 on: October 26, 2007, 11:33:35 am »

well, see, that is the thing. The party starts off with a horrifyingly unhealthful competition which I will probably have to endure mockery for not competing in. I am a small guy, I dislike almost all beer, I don't like competing, I hate situations where I feel pressure to drink, I would end up vomiting, it isn't worth it to me on any level. All of these cute little freshmen girls are competing, and I am anticipating disaster. Of course, the station does this every year, so... maybe they know what they are doing?
They don't know what they are doing.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #826 on: October 26, 2007, 11:45:18 am »

cute little freshmen girls are competing
I think they know what they're doing.

Something that took me a while to figure out (I didn't drink beer for years, only spirits) go out of your way and pick yourself up a six pack of a *nice* beer. (First hint: if it's in a can try again) Something light and tasty like a decent pale ale or a nice pilsner. After you find there is actually enjoyable beer out there you have something good to drink when other people are swilling keg shit and find it easier to stomach mediocre beer because you are aclimatised to the taste. Not that you should drink just because everyone else is doing it but sometimes you feel like a beer and there's only crap available.
Or just stay sober, it can be entertaining to be the sober one around a bunch of drunks but this can get old fast. Of course if being around a bunch of idiot drunks is annoying me I would usually choose leaving over getting as drunk as the people around me.

I'm sorry, what were we talking about?

Also: The concept of a case race is abhorrent to me also. These things are meant to be enjoyed people, at least a yard glass has tradition behind it.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #827 on: October 26, 2007, 01:03:18 pm »

Case race?  That sounds terrible.  I'd never heard of it before.  At first I thought it was where you debated in teams of 4 - making a case for the existence of "race," and I thought "Oh man, inev would totally lose at that."  So four people drink and entire case of beer?  What size of case is the station pushing?  A twelve among four people isn't so bad, except it takes me about an hour to finish one beer, so no one would want me on a team.

I do like the concept of hosting a party where people come in teams though.  It's an interesting concept.  You could make partying a sport.  Call fouls for double dipping chips, earn points fo witty quips.  That sounds like a good deal to me.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #828 on: October 26, 2007, 01:18:07 pm »

All of these cute little freshmen girls are competing, and I am anticipating disaster.

I agree with Doc. I know you're the Nice Guy and all, but damn, when someone sets up the rack, you gotta take the break. Pick one that's only moderately drunk, and limit yourself to second base. Then invite her out two days later and go for the kill.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #829 on: October 26, 2007, 04:21:43 pm »

damn, dude, there is no way I am doing that. I will feel a lot better if I tell myself that I could have, and don't. it doesn't help that the one time I did something like that, it ended up being a thing where... the other day I saw the chick, and she looked at me like a I was human garbage before completely ignoring my presence.
also, fuck, staying up that late writing a paper has removed all desire I have to do anything today that isn't "sleep."

edit: I also have no conception of what "moderately" drunk is, which is part of my problem with drinking in general.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 04:29:55 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #830 on: October 26, 2007, 05:10:03 pm »

What size of case is the station pushing?  A twelve among four people isn't so bad, except it takes me about an hour to finish one beer, so no one would want me on a team.

In the parlance arond these parts, a case is definitely 24 beers.

edit: I also have no conception of what "moderately" drunk is, which is part of my problem with drinking in general.

Canned because of empathy.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #831 on: October 26, 2007, 06:19:15 pm »


edit: I also have no conception of what "moderately" drunk is, which is part of my problem with drinking in general.

Moderately drunk is the state of inebriation where your consumption of new beers has dropped to the point where you replace what you have left when it gets warm, you're in no danger of hurling, it seems perfectly reasonable to close your eyes and hear the babble of your friends carrying on around you while you listen closely to the lyrics of whatever song is playing at the moment - yet you're ready to spring into action and participate when someone proposes tossing the keg down the staircase.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #832 on: October 26, 2007, 06:29:23 pm »

In the parlance arond these parts, a case is definitely 24 beers.
My case races always involved 30 pack cases.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #833 on: October 26, 2007, 06:41:53 pm »

Yeah, in the depths of the Adirondacks, a case was assumed to be twenty-four.

If you were looking for thirty beers, you'd use the modifier "thirty case" lest you end up a six-pack short of your goal.

Similarly for an "eighteen case".

I was a huge fan of the Saranac Winter Mix, a twelve pack of bottles of seasonal flavours that they only put in the Winter mix pack, such as the Stout they used to make their Black-and-Tans, only separately bottled for the Winter pack.

I loved how everyone just called it "The Twelve Beers of Christmas".
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #834 on: October 26, 2007, 07:33:23 pm »

Quote
Moderately drunk is the state of inebriation where your consumption of new beers has dropped to the point where you replace what you have left when it gets warm, you're in no danger of hurling, it seems perfectly reasonable to close your eyes and hear the babble of your friends carrying on around you while you listen closely to the lyrics of whatever song is playing at the moment - yet you're ready to spring into action and participate when someone proposes tossing the keg down the staircase.

Wow, that has never happened. Oops.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #835 on: October 26, 2007, 08:36:35 pm »

Inev, do they still do Tang at Wash U?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #836 on: October 26, 2007, 08:58:17 pm »

A thirty pack is a cube.  Duh.


One of my good friends got a keg of PBR, so I am going to go drink that and see where it leads.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #837 on: October 26, 2007, 10:04:17 pm »

Wow, that has never happened. Oops.
It takes practice.  And lots of overshooting the mark - ending up facedown in the shower with the water running.  If you're fortunate, no one will remember the Sharpie you keep in your desk.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #838 on: October 27, 2007, 01:22:23 am »

Tang? No, I do not know what that is.

And yeah, I tend to overshoot slightly? Not by too much, though. The times it was bad, I was being really stupid.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #839 on: October 27, 2007, 03:22:31 am »

Tang? No, I do not know what that is.

And yeah, I tend to overshoot slightly? Not by too much, though. The times it was bad, I was being really stupid.

Tang was an university sanctioned organization which sponsored an annual team speed beer chugging competition.  So I'm not really surprised that it's not around anymore.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 878   Go Up