So the Weakerthans weren't that great? The SO's seen them a few times and hasn't had great things to say about them either. I gotta say I think their new album is a real let down. I was just listening to it last night, and it doesn't even kind of compair to the quality of Reconstruction Site. I got it over a month ago, listened to it once then barely again, so I pushed myself to listen to it all the way through last night and I gave up a few tracks before the end. I'm very disappointed, but maybe it'll grow on me?
The show was good, the problems were mainly the venue's fault. The Weakerthans were the early show, with 5pm doors and another show had 10pm doors. So they had to be totally done, encore included, by 9pm to clear the club out for the 2nd show. On the club's website it said that the openers played at 6 and 6:45 then The Weakerthans would go on at 7:45, but apparently they had everybody start early. So those of us who tried to show up after the openers ended up coming too late.
I think the frontman was chattier than when I saw them last year, which helped things. He talked to some people in the front row who had driven like 12 hours to see them, because DC was the furthest south the tour went. And the guitar player and bassist would often act like they were in a stadium-rock band, holding their guitars up in the air or doing that overly dramatic full-circle strumming thing.
I'm not as big a fan of the new album, but I do tend to prefer the peppier songs like Our Retired Explorer or Aside. I had the same issues with the New Pornographers newest. I just don't dig on slower more melodic stuff.
Also, I just learned about the Virtue/Virtute mix-up they had on Reconstruction Site. So apparently I've had the name of one of my favorite songs wrong for years.