Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Listen, I've been duped by "English-speaking" pizza places before.

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1349709 times)

0 Members and 155 Guests are viewing this topic.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #975 on: November 09, 2007, 01:43:06 am »

also, if at all possible, when asking a girl out avoid asking "um... do you have a car?"

A wise and respected expert on the romantic arts summed it up best: "Got no money and you got no car, then you got no woman - and there you are."
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 01:46:14 am by Golfhaus »
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #976 on: November 09, 2007, 01:46:24 am »

Reminds me of the old joke.

What do you call a drummer without a girlfriend?

Homeless.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #977 on: November 09, 2007, 05:24:15 am »

Filled out the application for readmission to my old school, HSC, and emailed the dean. I know im technically a "transfer" but do they really need to see my SAT scores and high school transcript again? Dudes who get kicked out for honor court violations, or you know go to jail, just have to basically write a letter for readmission. It would be quite the christmas present to return to my homeboys back in ol' Virginny. Still, the idea of me sitting here in NYC right now and possibly sitting in Farmville, VA just 2 months from now... mindblowing.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #978 on: November 09, 2007, 05:47:02 am »

Try calling the Dean tomorrow and describing your situation.  If you didn't shit on his desk on your way out of town, you're probably fine.  You may be able to cut through some red tape too, but in my experience, college administrators love making folks jump through hoops even more than the Driver's License bureaucrats.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #979 on: November 09, 2007, 05:58:05 am »

I am not really sure how that went. Movie date without coffee or dinner-- BAD IDEA.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #980 on: November 09, 2007, 06:38:51 am »

Yeah Inev, have to allow yourself a chance for getting to know you chit chat. Unless the movie goes really well but then such as we are too gentlemanly for those type antics.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #981 on: November 09, 2007, 06:45:09 am »

yeah, um, she had to get home and get to bed, she had some kind of work thing in the morning?
highlights reel:
-I am an idiot and went to the wrong metro stop, so we missed our movie. She sent me a text message saying something like "I am scared of this metro stop, where are you?" and I felt like a major dick
-we decided to walk to a closer movie theater
-she kept trying to give me advice on classes to take? not a positive thing.
-this journey involved jumping over... this... there was a whole situation which is hard to explain. Basically she did something where I was basically imagining her falling, landing on a busy street, and being run over before my eyes.
-she brought fruit roll-ups to the movie and it was adorable
-About a Son is... a movie to watch I guess. It exists. I dug it because I love Kurt Cobain. She said it made him seem like a whiny dick, which I guess is true.
-she had left her bike on campus, so we walked all the way back to campus together, passing her apartment. she gave me an awkward hug and said bye.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #982 on: November 09, 2007, 01:44:00 pm »

That doesn't sound so bad, sure the bus thing is a bit of a hiccup but long walk back to campus? That's good stuff. Don't play down hugs either, hug on a first date is reasonable progression. My general rule is that if the chick wants to touch you this is a good sign.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #983 on: November 09, 2007, 04:57:33 pm »

Try calling the Dean tomorrow and describing your situation.  If you didn't shit on his desk on your way out of town, you're probably fine.  You may be able to cut through some red tape too, but in my experience, college administrators love making folks jump through hoops even more than the Driver's License bureaucrats.
He answered my email basically saying that I am applying for "readmission" not "transfer" so I just need to fill out the application with a letter from a professor and a letter from "someone who knows me". This personal character witness letter I feel is of southern flavor. No one in new york cares what someone else thinks of me.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #984 on: November 09, 2007, 05:02:11 pm »

Quote
No one in new york cares what someone else thinks of me.
I have gotten this vibe from some of my Yankee friends. damn, dude, those people. Where do they get the nerve.

Chris, I am glad that you have made the decision you have. Way to man up and fix your problems.

Quote
Don't play down hugs either, hug on a first date is reasonable progression. My general rule is that if the chick wants to touch you this is a good sign.
oh, I mis-explained this and the class-advice giving thing. The issue is that contrary to our earlier interactions, it seemed very obvious last night that she was creeped out by being 2 years older than me. This was not a good hug. It was a... I don't know what hug to compare it to, but i didn't like its tone.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 05:06:59 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #985 on: November 09, 2007, 09:31:22 pm »

Today I saw an acupuncturist. It wasn't as scary as I expected.  It might be bullshit, but I have had so much trouble with western medicine lately - I figured I might as well try it because at least it wouldn't make me feel any worse.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #986 on: November 09, 2007, 10:38:48 pm »

I'm pretty sure she was taking each needle out of a fresh package... although I can't swear to this since I was afraid to look at them.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #987 on: November 09, 2007, 10:48:26 pm »

Today I saw an acupuncturist. It wasn't as scary as I expected.  It might be bullshit, but I have had so much trouble with western medicine lately - I figured I might as well try it because at least it wouldn't make me feel any worse.

I read about an interesting study (Ben Goldacre at badscience.net wrote a few entries about it) that was done a little while ago on people who had chronic back-pain for at least 8 years (and presumably had tried all sorts of standard treatments) were split into three groups, one recieved normal treatment, one recieved acupuncture and one group recieved fake acupuncture where they deliberately did it wrong.
For a pre-set level of 'feel better' twenty something percent of the normal treatment group felt better (not that suprising since they had probably already tried these conventional medicines) 47% of the accupuncture group felt better and 45% of the fake accupuncture group felt better.
The point isn't that acupuncture is a huge crock, it's that certain conditions have a genuine psychological component (which doesn't make them any less real, pain is pain regardless of the cause) and so they need a psych-social treatment so the novelty of the new type of treatment had more of an impact than the treatment itself. Not that any of this is necessarily relevant to you Wombie, just sharing.
Don't get complacent about them not being about them not being able to do you any harm though, anything that has an effect has side effects. This is particularly true in the case of herbal remedies where some of the herbs contain the same compounds you'll find in more conventional medication. If you're taking Saint John's Wort while on depression medication for instance you should always let your doctor know.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #988 on: November 09, 2007, 10:52:09 pm »

I recently had an argument about this with a good friend of mine. I sent her a link to that badscience.net study, and she said she didn't trust anything on the internet, basically, and pointed out that he misspelled a word, and so he couldn't possibly have any legitimacy as a source.
About a week later, our anthro professor mentioned badscience.net as a blog that he really enjoys and reads regularly.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #989 on: November 09, 2007, 11:15:37 pm »

To tell you the truth, if it just works because of the placebo effect, that's fine with me.  The placebo effect is probably the most effective things medicine has to offer - don't knock it.

She did talk about herbs but yeah, that's different. I don't think I want to mess with that.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 878   Go Up