Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Dude abides.

Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1349352 times)

0 Members and 183 Guests are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1125 on: November 27, 2007, 01:14:02 pm »

Today I'm gonna celebrate the end of my twenties with my twin sister. It will be low-key, because I'm flat broke and don't get paid until the 30th. I might even get sassy and buy myself a coffee before I go into work (I hardly ever drink coffee, unlike my twin sister, because it makes me twitchy. I can't handle caffeine beyond some hot tea).
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1126 on: November 27, 2007, 01:35:09 pm »

today I'm going to: wake up at 7:30 AM to register for classes. Now I am sitting here, staring at the screen telling me that I am trying to register for too many (I can't decide between two at the same time and was trying to get both to keep my options open for a few more days...)

but yeah, because my registration time was at 7:30, and "only" seniors and juniors got to register before me, I got everything I wanted except Music of the African Diaspora. And the other class I want, "Linguistic Legacy of the African Slave Trade" only has 3 people registered for it, whereas the music class is full (12 students), and has 3 people on the waitlist. So... hm.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1127 on: November 28, 2007, 08:15:27 pm »

...and we're back.  I had a hard time believing I was actually IN India when we arrived, because Mumbai is hell of jilapidated and the poverty is so prevalent and severe that there's no way THAT could be the country that is taking all of our computer jobs and whose currency has almost doubled in strength against the USD over the last little while.  But it's real.  Your Porsche dealership is right next to a cinder-block shanty town and property costs $1BN even though it is RIGHT NEXT TO THE BIGGEST SLUM IN THE WORLD.

I'll share more soon, once my brain and body are in agreement about when I should be awake.  Right now there is some debate about that.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1128 on: November 29, 2007, 12:00:54 am »

...and we're back.  I had a hard time believing I was actually IN India when we arrived, because Mumbai is hell of jilapidated and the poverty is so prevalent and severe that there's no way THAT could be the country that is taking all of our computer jobs and whose currency has almost doubled in strength against the USD over the last little while.  But it's real.  Your Porsche dealership is right next to a cinder-block shanty town and property costs $1BN even though it is RIGHT NEXT TO THE BIGGEST SLUM IN THE WORLD.

I'll share more soon, once my brain and body are in agreement about when I should be awake.  Right now there is some debate about that.
One of my fave economists, Hernando DeSoto has a lot to say about exactly this situation in his book The Mystery of Capital.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1129 on: November 30, 2007, 08:06:20 pm »

Thank God it's raining there, Ash.

Today I'm gonna stop by a post box to mail my rent check because I woke up too late to catch the mailman while he was making his neighborhood rounds. It is nice and sunny outside, and I think I will wash my car. Also, I just got paid today. As I have complained before, I only get paid once a month. I've been working for the past seven weeks and my last paycheck was for $708 and some change on Halloween. Needless to say, after trying to make it for that long on that little cash, this hard-won paycheck is quickly evaporating. It is insane. So many bills to pay.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1130 on: November 30, 2007, 09:01:46 pm »

today, I declared my major. The departmental secretary asked who I wanted my advisor to be, which... the whole reason I didn't fill out that part on the form is that theoretically they will just assign you to someone. She gave me two options, and one is a professor I have never met, and the other is my current Linguistics professor, so I picked him. I don't know how this will work, since I am not focusing in linguistics, but she seemed to think he was the right choice.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1131 on: December 01, 2007, 08:22:11 am »

I mean, yeah, hopefully. He is a nice guy and all, but who knows.

Tonight, I went to a fun surprise party we threw for all the trainees at the radio station. Afterwards we went to my friend's apartment, and her roommate who has not called me back from when I called her like 4 days ago was there. I feel like especially considering I am good friends with both of her roommates, rules of life require that she at least man up and call me to tell me she doesn't want to go out, you know? Because otherwise we're going to keep getting in these awkward social situations, where I'm sitting there realizing that everything in their apartment smells like her? I do not know if that is a logical conclusion, but it seems to be what is going on.

LAME.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1132 on: December 01, 2007, 11:18:56 am »

Today I'm gonna wake up at 3:30AM and be unable to go back to sleep!  Before I took the sleep meds for several years, I had horrible problems with insomnia. I stopped taking the meds in July. Every day for the past 2 weeks I've been waking up mysteriously around 3:30-4AM, but most days I'm able to go back to sleep.

So far, I got a humidifier out of the linen closet, filled it up, and plugged it in my room to help with the crackling dryness. I put some eyedrops in my eyes.  I drank a glass of water and had a yogurt. Am I doomed to be an insomniac like my old man?
Logged

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1133 on: December 01, 2007, 07:19:38 pm »

Today I'm gonna figure out the optimal placement for my new TV so I can play Mass Effect during the day without having to worry about this crazy glare. What ever happened to the mythical San Francisco fog?

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1134 on: December 01, 2007, 07:39:39 pm »

It moved to LA and created a rainstorm that no one knows how to drive in.

Bllllaaaaaaaaah.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1135 on: December 01, 2007, 09:53:05 pm »

Today Lenny repaid me for accidentally stepping on his tail last night. I have no idea how he managed this because he's been on a standard cat diet his whole life except for a tiny shred of turkey last Saturday...but you all know that animals poo. They are basically little shit factories. Lenny got some on his fur and Fecolated(TM) my entire damn place. I cleaned him off the best I could, and I just got done sanitizing every single surface he might have walked on. GOD WHY ARE ANIMALS SO GROSS.
Logged

chuanoplast

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 33
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 234
  • Most Painful Part
    • View Profile
    • Stupid Blog
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1136 on: December 01, 2007, 11:25:41 pm »

Today I found out why my room smells like baked bread and stinky cheese when I discovered a plastic cup filled with yeasty grapefruit juice. College students are so disgusting.
Logged
The most important decision in my life: the rabbit mug or the monkey mug. (PS I GOT THE KITTY MUG)

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1137 on: December 02, 2007, 12:19:18 am »

Today Lenny repaid me for accidentally stepping on his tail last night. I have no idea how he managed this because he's been on a standard cat diet his whole life except for a tiny shred of turkey last Saturday...but you all know that animals poo. They are basically little shit factories. Lenny got some on his fur and Fecolated(TM) my entire damn place. I cleaned him off the best I could, and I just got done sanitizing every single surface he might have walked on. GOD WHY ARE ANIMALS SO GROSS.

We have this problem with the kitten, too: every few days, he will step in his own poo (usually with just one back foot) and walk around with it. (Naturally, he has this perverse love of getting snuggly with humans just afterwards.) This inevitably leads to my mother and I washing off his foot, a process he hates like Hell, but he's going to have to get used to it. Be a cleaner bathroomer, little man!

On subject: today I held an angry kitten while my mother swabbed poo off his right back paw.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1138 on: December 02, 2007, 04:17:33 pm »

I've never had a cat in all my days smear shit around - they leave it in the box.  Once my cat sprayed shit in my face due to me grabbing him the wrong way.  I didn't feel clean for days and days. Sooo unpleasant.

Today I'm gonna go get a Christmas tree.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1139 on: December 03, 2007, 04:59:56 pm »

today I'm gonna---

have a dream that I woke up early and studied, and then feel disappointed when I wake up for real.
this was after the dreams where I discovered an early human ancestor, and where I saw a man lose a million dollars on a quiz show for not knowing what "Italian Neorealism" is.
So yeah, finals time is approaching, how did you guess?

I just got an email from my psych professor about our big paper that is basically our entire grade. I had sent him an explanation of my paper topic right before thanksgiving, then he didn't reply until wednesday of last week, telling me that it was not a great topic, as it wasn't really what we have talked about in class. Now I emailed him with a new topic... his reply confirms that I have somehow done a thing where I re-invented a theory that already exists, and he is confused about where I got it from? I think that that is what he is saying.
Writing the email, I realized that there was one part which didn't really come from any of the reading... and that either I was making it up, it was a theory that was true/valid but I didn't have any way of proving, or it was a theory that is accepted that I forgot reading about/that I haven't read about.
Based on his response, it is an acceptable theory, but he is confused about where I read about it? He goes on a thing about "localization and mechanistic explanation" and I don't know what those mean.

Today, I only have one class, and then a "lab day" for anthropology where we look at casts of specimens. The last exam for this class is probably the first thing in my life I have started studying so far in advance for (that wasn't a cumulative final). Although, it's 40% of the grade, so I guess it may as well be the final.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 878   Go Up