Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am composing a tone poem about eagles, lawnmowers, and Ted Nugent. It is composed only of the sounds of those things.

Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1349739 times)

0 Members and 149 Guests are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1215 on: December 13, 2007, 02:41:33 pm »

And don't forget I not only went back to school, I went back for as many degrees as is, like, humanly possible. There's no reason to think it has to derail your whole education and goals. Sometimes the right path isn't the straightest one, and all.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1216 on: December 13, 2007, 05:15:21 pm »

I regret not taking a longer break between undergrad and grad school.  I took three years off in between, mostly for financial reasons, and I probably should have taken more. 

So, what womb@ said.  You are smarter than me.  Good on you. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1217 on: December 13, 2007, 07:58:19 pm »

I took a couple of (non-consecutive) semesters off.  It was a good thing.  Not necessarily the most fun times in  my life, but I did good stuff during those times.

Also, 9 months isn't a terribly long time.  Before you know it you'll be in here complaining about having to go back to class.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 08:34:00 pm by AugustWest »
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1218 on: December 13, 2007, 08:16:42 pm »

Also, have ten pages of a paper to write by 10, but I have to have it there by ten, so, lets say, 9:30.  I am sitting at -3:45 between me graduating or not.  I think (HOPE) that just completing this will be enough for a C, which I have to get to graduate.

Edit:  Alright, about 5 more with 1:30 left, plus fixing some footnotes.  I have amazed myself again (the last 3 or so will just be me talking about tito, why I choose this topic and my final analysis-20 min tops.)

I know which Tito you probably mean, but secretly I'm hoping I'm wrong and that it's this Tito you're writing about.

Also, A-CAP, I'm glad you're taking some time off, but I'm thinking changing your name to whatever educational situation you're in isn't anywhere near as sensible (or fun) and us giving you a nickname that can stay the same from now on.  Otherwise things get confusing.  Also, usually such a thing as renaming calls for a jingling of ye olde tip jar, but since you're from circumstances I'm sure we can ignore that.  Here's a thread I started to get the ball rolling.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1219 on: December 13, 2007, 10:53:27 pm »

I'm taking some time off RIGHT NOW, and while I'm a little aimless as to what I'm going to do with it, my hope is that it'll be good and might alleviate my fears about What Is Right For Me. Take some time and take care of yourself, arachnocapitalist.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1220 on: December 13, 2007, 11:56:37 pm »

...put off doing my paper some more. I went over to my friend's apartment and gave her my LP of "My Aim is True" for xmas/graduation kind of. I just left it on her desk, because she was asleep. She is freaking out as if I have given her something really valuable. I wish I could get presents this good for my family, you know? A present which costs under 10 dollars and makes the person completely Lose It.
Granted, she is kind of high-strung anyway. Elvis Costello is her favorite-- she has a tattoo of his face, which is simultaneously horrifying and awesome.
The horrifying part is mostly that it is really high up on her thigh, so being shown the tattoo is a Harrowing experience.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 12:02:00 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1221 on: December 14, 2007, 12:17:56 am »

Quote
It was not a decision I made. It was made for me, and it sucks. But hey, its only the worst day of my life so far.

That blows.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1222 on: December 14, 2007, 12:25:42 am »

Huh. That sucks, man, my condolesences.

If it makes you feel any better, I am definitely riding the "a change that probably should've happened but happened in a fashion that was completely out of my control and so is much less benefical than it could've been" train as well.

It is a real motherfucker of a train and I would not wish ridership on anyone... it is more than bad enough that I am on it.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1223 on: December 14, 2007, 12:28:22 am »

Granted, she is kind of high-strung anyway. Elvis Costello is her favorite-- she has a tattoo of his face, which is simultaneously horrifying and awesome.
The horrifying part is mostly that it is really high up on her thigh, so being shown the tattoo is a Harrowing experience.
She's had her midsection pulverised by an IED in Iraq?  All colostomy baggy and such?  'cos otherwise I can't imagine witnessing feminine loins as harrowing.

Or perhaps she's 70 years older than you.  That might qualify.  Even cougars have a shelf life, I'd imagine.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1224 on: December 14, 2007, 12:50:12 am »

I suppose that if Elvis Costello had a giant Gene Simmons tongue and appeared to be forever eating her out from afar... that'd be harrowing, yeah.

But in general, if a lady has good hygenie and is somewhere between 18 and her early fifties roughly, the pu$$y is usually at-least-pleasant to look at.

This is just my opinion, of course.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1225 on: December 14, 2007, 01:00:16 am »

She is just... she is a really nice girl, and is not attractive to me as anything more than a friend. It was more the concept that I was seeing this area of her that was upsetting than the actual image. People have commented that due to the angle, it looks like Elvis is looking up at her Area. It wasn't anything I hadn't seen before, anyway. Hell of awkward halloween costume, yo.

so, now is the part where I look in the bibliography of a paper I'm reading for my paper, and it cites "Constructive Memory-- Remembering the Past and Imagining the Future" and I scream "fuck!!!" real loudly. That's even basically the title I was going to use. Fuck you, Schacter. You think you're better than me? You think you're a big-shot, Mr Head of Psychology Dept. at Harvard? Fuck you, man.

The best part is, it was only published this year.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1226 on: December 14, 2007, 01:16:53 am »

"Reconstructive Memory - Imagining the Past and Remembering The Future" would be cooler, though.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1227 on: December 14, 2007, 01:29:01 am »

oh, yeah, there are some ones with interesting stuff about that, too. This guy's specialty is memory distortion and false memories. There is a paper I have somewhere, I think, called "Remembering the Future." Memory is so fucked up and nuts.

This shit is so cool, oh my god. oh my god. I just need to keep myself in this zone of thinking about how cool it is for the next, say, 30 hours, so I can write this paper.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1228 on: December 14, 2007, 08:25:47 am »

man. I can't even care about my computer problems now.

I just read this psych paper that completely blew my mind. The way he lays it all out, it just feels so elegant. I realized at one point that I was underlining, the way I do when I'm reading literature or political theory, instead of circling like I do with psych stuff. It's not that he really has any ideas that are so different from what other people said-- it's the way he brings it all together into a coherent theory. He summarizes it all in a paragraph, and that by itself basically wins me over-- and then he spends the rest of the paper proving every point. That's what the ancient Romans called EDUCATIO. (or, you know, being scientific, which is what he is supposed to do. the writing style, though, is very distinct. maybe I'm just reading it in my Rousseau voice.)

I read it, and I thought "who is this Buckner guy? He wasn't cited anywhere else... maybe he's really young or something?"
he was an assistant professor here. And then Harvard offered him a professor job (professorship?). So now he is there. Goddamn.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 10:49:22 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1229 on: December 14, 2007, 02:31:43 pm »

Thanks.  Thats probably the raddest thing ive heard since this situation began. But as for now, my beer drunk soul is sadder than all the dead christmas trees in the world.

I am really sorry to hear about your troubles, dude. :(  I had an incredibly difficult time when I had to drop out of grad school. I was extremely upset and it really did a number on the ol' self esteem. However, I am going to go back, I just haven't decided what to study. We are cheering for you, so take the time that you need.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 878   Go Up