Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Terrible dream where Bobby Flay came to my childhood home, danced on the table, recited verse, and we had nothing interesting for him to do.

Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1349729 times)

0 Members and 149 Guests are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1245 on: December 16, 2007, 04:14:02 pm »

Today I had a party where the cops came twice.  The second time they wrote me a disturbing the peace ticket.  My roommate is convinced it is because he is black and has had parties there before.  Both times the police were there I asked them why they were there, as the party was still going on and you could not here anything on my front porch.  The second time they said, as they wrote me a ticket, that they could hear it 50 ft. away.  I said where is the noise, we are on the front porch.  They said they could here it from the street outside my house.  I said that is not 50 ft. away.  They said sign the ticket or go to jail... can I fight this, given that they said the law says that to be in violation you must be heard from 50 ft away, and they said they could hear me from a distance that is not 50 ft. away.  Also, if you get a city violation and are leaving the city in less than a week and leaving the state within months, will that follow you?  Also, can I fight this? Also, I got drunk as shit and partied hard and I have no idea how I can type.  And I am sorry.

Couldn't you at least contest it in court? Petition to have the date changed to reduce the chance that the cop will be able to show up? I SERIOUSLY doubt that the judge will buy the "black undergrad has his parties busted due to racism" but see what you can do about challenging your tickets.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1246 on: December 16, 2007, 04:39:11 pm »

How much is the fine?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1247 on: December 16, 2007, 08:32:15 pm »

And will it go on record as an infraction or a misdemeanor?
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1248 on: December 16, 2007, 09:56:02 pm »

Today I drove to the library to return books, only to realize that they did not open for another 1.5 hours. Argh! At least they have that newfangled invention that is the bookdrop, though. I was able to deposit the books and not incur any fines. I was bummed that I couldn't sit there and knit quietly for a while, with no Bad Lennybruce trying to eat the yarn, yelling (meowing loudly), and climbing all over me and causing me to drop hell of stitches. "Dammit, Lenny! You know that Mommy loves you, but I'm BUSY HERE!"

Jayelle, now you know why I can't get any damn knitting done at home. I can do one or two rows at the most, and then I have to shut my knitting bag up in a closed cabinet to prevent Lenny from stropping his bad little claws on it.

I am thinking about starting a Meetup group for knitting in my town (there are groups in other parts of Denver, but none that are close to me), but I don't have the money to start my own group. I tried to join a crochet group, but at 22 members they said that their group is closed to new members! What the fuck? Maybe I could just try a Yahoo! Group if it's free, and then post to Stitch n' Bitch. Apparently there is a huge brouhaha because some group called Sew Fast Sew Easy copyrighted the Stitch & Bitch name and won't let any of Debbie Stoller's minions use the name. Christ, you assholes! I just want to knit, I do not want to get embroiled in your stupid-ass legal battles.

I'm feeling a little cranky.

I really want to join up with a knitting group that meets once a week, because I don't have any girlfriends and I really, REALLY miss the rad group of girlfriends that I had in Alaska. They were the group that I performed alongside in Eve Ensler's The Vagina Monologues. After three months of rehearsals and the performances themselves, we all became really close. I miss them so much.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1249 on: December 16, 2007, 10:34:18 pm »

Today I'm gonna spend all the daylight hunched over baby bibs with my embroidery thread wondering if customizing all these Christmas gifts will be worth the back pain.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1250 on: December 16, 2007, 11:31:02 pm »

Today, I woke up at 5:30 or so and couldn't sleep. So I read the compilation My Favorite Science Fiction Story that I hadn't read since 7th grade or so-- still awesome. I missed this stuff. Then I made myself a bagel-and-eggs-kind-of-over-easy sandwich. Then I read more. Then I talked to my grandparents and my mom for a while. Ate again, read more.

At some point, I came upstairs and fell asleep again. My dad woke me up to ask what I wanted for dinner, and I was so deeply out of it that I couldn't process the sounds he was making with his mouth.

I woke up to hear my sister screaming at my mom so shrilly that she didn't sound like a person. literally, I do not think she could have possibly been making words. It was so bad. I went down and gave my mom a big hug afterwards, it sounded so horrible. I will never understand the ability of teenage girls to keep digging themselves deeper and deeper. YOU'RE GROUNDED! NO! YOU LIED, AND YOU'RE GROUNDED! I KNOW! I KNOW THAT! DON'T YOU TAKE THAT TONE WITH ME! YOU'RE GROUNDED FOR A MONTH! 5 WEEKS! JUST TRY TO KEEP GOING, MISSY!
My mom is not a lady to put up with any shit, and the fact that my sister does not know that after 13 years of butting heads with her does not bode well for the rest of her teenage years.

Hopefully after dinner I am going to a folky/punky show at a record store downtown. I am hoping I will run into some friends there, as a friend of these friends is in one of the bands. I like this record store so much.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1251 on: December 16, 2007, 11:55:09 pm »

Today I woke up late hung over and still pretty mad about the party thing.  I am not for sure, but I think the fine is for 144, they didn't say when I asked and gave me a pamplet that did not have that particular charge listed.  I doubt the racism too, but that is what he thinks.  More likely that since he had parties here before, and we live pretty close to the police station, they saw the cars and thought to figure out which house it is.  It would not be a thing on my record.  My family is full of lawyers, I just needed to vent.

On that note, sorry for venting on your message board.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1252 on: December 17, 2007, 12:55:59 am »

OH CRAP OH GOODNESS... that fuck*ng handbag is at $359-450 (retailed for $798).
Bloody fuck*ng hell! Why do I have to be poor and cashless?? WHY??

Sigh... I will comfort myself on the sour grapes by saying that I'd probably find something else after I acquired said handbag. Like I'd need a wallet to match it. And some new shoes. And new outfits. Better to just opt out and refuse to play the game .Mmmm, sour grapes.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 01:01:02 am by linnea »
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1253 on: December 17, 2007, 02:15:24 am »

L...


that is ugly.  Sorry.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1254 on: December 17, 2007, 02:59:45 am »

L...


that is ugly.  Sorry.

Nooo! It is beautiful!

Ash... you... you're right. What I NEED is to figure out how these eBay fugs managed to get a hold of them at wholesale prices!!
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1255 on: December 17, 2007, 03:41:40 am »

Seriously, it is okay, but, like, I am assuming a lot of it's price is because of like material and build and stuff (or name), and I can't figure out what that matters in a purse, unlike, say, shoes.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1256 on: December 17, 2007, 03:48:54 am »

I cut the labels off every thing I own, and go out of my way to buy things that don't have logo's, branding, the outward appearance of a certain branding etc. on them.  Why a bag such as this is desirable is hard for me to grasp.  I really don't get it.  If I had $350 to blow, I wouldn't be spending it on a hand bag.  Don't get me wrong, I'm very much for quality goods, and if I was in need of a hand bag for whatever reason, I know a good leather worker, and I know for a fact for that much cash she'd probably be able to make me a couple custom bags that would be like works of art and would probably last a life time.  When it comes to branding, I guess it's about showing off - like impressing other people?  Because of the brand? I guess the cachet of such items is what allows folks to charge such exorbitant prices? It makes me feel icky to know people spend so unnecessarily on absolutely inessential things, for the sake of what other people might think of them, or the way it makes them feel to know they've spent so much.  Like I said in the frugality thread, I find living simply to be very peaceful... so when confronted with the opposite I feel a certain level of confusion and discomfort.

Also, that bag is completely not my style.  I guess if I looked at it and thought it was beautiful, I might find it a little less disquieting to know somewhere in the world someone had paid $800 for it.  But still... yikes, I don't know - that shit freaks me out.  It's such waste.  It's so unnecessary.

Don't get caught up in this stuff L - especially in the financial state you're in.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1257 on: December 17, 2007, 03:55:25 am »

OH CRAP OH GOODNESS... that fuck*ng handbag is at $359-450 (retailed for $798).
Bloody fuck*ng hell! Why do I have to be poor and cashless?? WHY??

Sigh... I will comfort myself on the sour grapes by saying that I'd probably find something else after I acquired said handbag. Like I'd need a wallet to match it. And some new shoes. And new outfits. Better to just opt out and refuse to play the game .Mmmm, sour grapes.


I wrote something much harsher and I deleted it. Because I don't want to sound mean. So take what comes next for what it's worth, from a bitter poor guy about to watch his family move a long way away...

Go back and read the post where you rant about what your dad said to you. Try to be objective. Then go back and read your posts about perfumes and this bag. Then read what your dad said again.

Repeat til it sinks in. Some of what he said was probably right, just not what you wanted to hear and definitely not how you wanted to hear it.

We love you, but you can't want to save baby seals and feed hungry kids, etc.  while simultaneously spending huge amounts of money on what amounts, in the big scheme of things, to ephemera.

Do the envelope thing like the other AD said. That should really be helpful.

Love,

me

Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1258 on: December 17, 2007, 03:57:03 am »

There are many pros and cons to being ladies or dudes.

However. I was given a high quality leather wallet as one of my high school graduation presents.

It is still my wallet and it still looks and functions perfectly well.

In this one small regard, holy shit, go testicles.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1259 on: December 17, 2007, 04:13:25 am »

AD and Mel:

Yes, it is totally irrational to be so broke you can't go to the grocery store, yet you think you need a handbag that costs an entire car payment. That is part of the reason why I'm so torn up about this whole thing. My dad said that he thinks my mood swings are getting worse, but I don't want to go back on the meds. I may have to, however.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 878   Go Up