Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Terrible dream where Bobby Flay came to my childhood home, danced on the table, recited verse, and we had nothing interesting for him to do.

Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1349193 times)

0 Members and 198 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1275 on: December 18, 2007, 07:27:45 am »

it is a little of both. Now I figured out that he embedded little notes up through the 7th page. Some are little comments about where I could do to expand...
some are things basically saying I should rewrite it in an entirely new format? i am trying not to freak out right now. I mean... at least he is giving me the chance to change things?
Some of his comments kind of make me want to cry.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1276 on: December 18, 2007, 07:56:21 am »

Yeah I know that feeling, just got to roll with it and shoe-horn in an old fogies tired rhetoric, trying not to let it mar your otherwise insightful and revolutionary thesis.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1277 on: December 18, 2007, 04:51:05 pm »

Ash is right.

Remember - why did you have him read it before it's done if you didn't want feedback? Ah - did you expect the feedback would be "This is terrific! Hand in the finished version exactly like this!" It doesn't work that way, if only because then the prof thinks he is not doing his job. And, in fact, he wouldn't be.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1278 on: December 18, 2007, 05:20:42 pm »

No Womb - Inev handed in a paper he considered finished.  Or are you being sarcastic?

I once met my prof to pick up a paper she was supposed to have graded, and since she was in the middle of grading it when I arrived, she asked me to come with her to the cafeteria, where she would finish marking it and give it to me.  I bought a slice of pizza I didn't really want and sat awkwardly with her while she read my paper and made notes for about 30 minutes.  So odd.  I was a straight A student and she was one of my favorite professors, but it was still weird to sit there and silently wait while she scribbled on my paper.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1279 on: December 18, 2007, 06:10:15 pm »

He handed in a finished paper and the prof gave it back without finishing reading it? With that email? That just seems like such bizarre behavior that I misinterpreted the situation.

Of course, if someone gave me a draft for comments I wouldn't give that back without finishing either. Maybe that's why I'm the one who's out of the business and inev's prof is still in it.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1280 on: December 18, 2007, 06:13:46 pm »

Today I'm gonna tell as many people as I can to see the movie Juno. So, so good.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1281 on: December 18, 2007, 07:09:35 pm »

yeah. Um. I feel like he is telling me to basically re-write it. But, he also only gave me notes on the first few pages? I am going to email him and see what is up. I should be glad that he is giving me suggestions to fix it instead of just giving me a shitty grade, but... I thought I was done with this thing. I thought it was good.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1282 on: December 18, 2007, 07:22:59 pm »

that is impossible because I am already back in Charlotte. damn.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1283 on: December 18, 2007, 09:31:40 pm »

Damn indeed - if it wasn't close enough to the Xmas travel season to make standby travel iffy, I'd let you use one of my guest passes to get back out there for a day. Telling a prof that you took a day trip back out to get the scoop would be a positive influence, I'd think.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1284 on: December 19, 2007, 12:02:22 am »

I sent him an email asking for clarification, so, I think I will be OK.

in other news, a power cable for a laptop costs ONE HUNDRED AND FOUR DOLLARS. this is like a cruel joke, people. having to constantly borrow my brother's cable because my laptop is about to run out of power, and then his is about to run out of power so he needs it back...
this is not fun.
And of course, we have something like 5 extra power cables lying around, all of which have jive-ass proprietary plugs that won't fit.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1285 on: December 19, 2007, 12:34:05 am »

I dunno what the hell it is about power cables - I was going to buy one of those cables that you can plug into the laptop power port of airplanes since I spend so much time in them. One hundred dollars. Screw that. One of my contacts in the biz says they get left behind on planes "all the time," and that he'll snag one for me.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1286 on: December 19, 2007, 02:16:09 am »

Look on eBay for Christ's sake, do not pay full retail for one of those things. My cell phone power cord was like $30 retail, I got one for $7.99 including shipping.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1287 on: December 19, 2007, 09:10:51 am »

Today I am going to get a boil lanced.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1288 on: December 19, 2007, 12:04:30 pm »

Paul I think you need to one up that man's gif.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1289 on: December 19, 2007, 02:53:32 pm »

Today I am going to get a boil lanced.

I could not possibly be more not-clicking on that link.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 878   Go Up