Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wombat changed her avatar back and no one noticed. Her feelings are hurt.

Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1350147 times)

0 Members and 154 Guests are viewing this topic.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1500 on: January 09, 2008, 04:02:01 am »

I used to say stuff like that, and, while it is wrong, still kind of believe it.  I mean, the plastic wrap didn't come from outer space.  At the same time, yeah...
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1501 on: January 09, 2008, 04:08:31 am »

i mean, atoms do not naturally form big polymer-based sheets that are good for strangling cute ducks and whales.

I mean, if I cut off your leg, and sharpened the femur into a shiv, stabbing you with it would not hurt any less because it was your own leg.
or something.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1502 on: January 09, 2008, 04:11:12 am »

Yeah, I am just saying it did start with stuff from the earth.  I know it is wrong, like I said.

That example makes it sound worse though; stabbing me with my own leg!  killing earth with her own atoms!
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1503 on: January 09, 2008, 04:24:26 am »

i mean, atoms do not naturally form big polymer-based sheets that are good for strangling cute ducks and whales.

I mean, if I cut off your leg, and sharpened the femur into a shiv, stabbing you with it would not hurt any less because it was your own leg.
or something.
1. atoms do form polymers, all the time, its called DNA
2. Nature kills nature, all the time.


Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1504 on: January 09, 2008, 04:30:53 am »

1. atoms do form polymers, all the time, its called DNA
2. Nature kills nature, all the time.


So gee, I guess this means we should do whatever the hell we want all the time without ever thinking of the consequences.  SWEEET!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1505 on: January 09, 2008, 04:32:17 am »

i didn't say polymers, I said polymer-based sheets, as plastic wrap is.

the thing is, there is a balance of predation and all of that jazz. are you really saying this? I heard a quote at some point to the effect of "even dogs know not to shit where they eat." If I am imagining that, then, I just said it now.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1506 on: January 09, 2008, 04:41:12 am »

1. atoms do form polymers, all the time, its called DNA
2. Nature kills nature, all the time.

Yeah nature is just a big collection of rules that is going to keep rolling no matter what we do, it doesn't have to keep rolling in a way that is good for us though. Since I kind of like my environment as it is, my self interest dictates that I preserve the status quo.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1507 on: January 09, 2008, 04:45:56 am »

are you really saying this?
Im really saying that I dont know what to do with this computer garbage. Im told it contains things that are bad to just throw away, but Im not given another reasonable alternative. Its not worth it to me to drive across the state to deposit my garbage for nothing in return other than some obscure sense that ive done something good, maybe, for something. it makes a lot more sense to me to chuck this stuff in a bag and throw it out with the rest of my garbage.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1508 on: January 09, 2008, 05:01:30 am »

Im really saying that I dont know what to do with this computer garbage. Im told it contains things that are bad to just throw away, but Im not given another reasonable alternative. Its not worth it to me to drive across the state to deposit my garbage for nothing in return other than some obscure sense that ive done something good, maybe, for something. it makes a lot more sense to me to chuck this stuff in a bag and throw it out with the rest of my garbage.

You can open a hard drive up and use the magnet inside to make this awesome DIY magnetic knife rack for your mom.  I just found this project yesterday in fact.  Pretty cool idea.  If you're not feeling crafty, most major urban areas have a few businesses who collect electronic items to dispose of such equipment if you don't have local recycling or at the very least a day or two a year where you can drop it off somewhere to have it taken care of - call your local waste department, I'm sure they can tell you what to do with it.  I can't remember where you live and am to lazy to look it up, but I bet all it takes is a little looking into to make it easier.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 05:04:58 am by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1509 on: January 09, 2008, 05:06:36 am »

Im really saying that I dont know what to do with this computer garbage.

My understanding is that among other things there are valuable metals in computer garbage.  People make a living recovering these metals.  Perhaps an eager economist could find someone willing to pick up said garbage for free.

Also, here's a flaw in your reasoning.

Quote
than some obscure sense that ive done something good,

It's only obscure if you remain willfully ignorant. 

But by golly, you may be right.  Nothing that doesn't profit you personally in the immediate short-term could ever be worthwhile or beneficial. 
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1510 on: January 09, 2008, 05:27:41 am »

Come on, now. If he drove across state to deposit his computer for nothing in return, would he really be Arachno-Capitalist? At these gas prices? No sir! He would be Arachno-Environmentalist. Now, if he recruited a group of locals all looking to deposit their computers and drove them across state for a sizable fee, well, now we're talking.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1511 on: January 09, 2008, 05:32:51 am »


My understanding is that among other things there are valuable metals in computer garbage.  People make a living recovering these metals.  Perhaps an eager economist could find someone willing to pick up said garbage for free.

Also, here's a flaw in your reasoning.

It's only obscure if you remain willfully ignorant. 

But by golly, you may be right.  Nothing that doesn't profit you personally in the immediate short-term could ever be worthwhile or beneficial. 


I know a lot of economists and none of them go around collecting garbage. They tend to spend their time studying the economy.  And being willfully ignorant isn't a flaw. You're probably willfully ignorant of things like insect hormones... or knowing what an economist does. Of my finite time in the day, I have already spent time looking for where this stupid thing is supposed to go and calling to see if my town will pick it up. The only place it goes is across the state, and my town won't pick it up. Maybe there are people who care so much about what their computer will do in the earth that they will burn gas, time, and energy to drive it to this designated place, but I'm not one of them.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1512 on: January 09, 2008, 05:44:15 am »

Quote
My understanding is that among other things there are valuable metals in computer garbage.  People make a living recovering these metals.

According to a recent National Geographic article, these people live in places like New Dehli, India, and melt these metals down in the same pots they cook dinner in.


*I knew that subscribtion would come in handy someday! National Geographic, you rock. (Even though I just mostly look at the sweet pictures and don't read the articles)*
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1513 on: January 09, 2008, 06:00:36 am »

Quote
And being willfully ignorant isn't a flaw.
I mean... if I said "you can tell me capitalism works all you want, but it's a bunch of mumbo-jumbo to me! I'd rather not give a crap!" you would probably stop taking anything I said about capitalism seriously. so, yeah, it would probably not be a very good chain of reasoning to use in an argument about capitalism.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #1514 on: January 09, 2008, 06:02:43 am »


I know a lot of economists and none of them go around collecting garbage.

If it has value to someone, is it garbage?  If it can be resold at a profit, is it garbage?  Maybe you could ask one of the economists you know...

Quote
They tend to spend their time studying the economy.  And being willfully ignorant isn't a flaw.
 

Yet when someone tells you that someone will pay you for a resource you possess you choose to ignore that fact.  Or maybe being willfully ignorant is choosing to ignore the results of your conduct because doing otherwise might be inconvenient or conflict with your preconceived notions.

 
Quote
You're probably willfully ignorant of things like insect hormones... or knowing what an economist does. Of my finite time in the day, I have already spent time looking for where this stupid thing is supposed to go and calling to see if my town will pick it up. The only place it goes is across the state, and my town won't pick it up. Maybe there are people who care so much about what their computer will do in the earth that they will burn gas, time, and energy to drive it to this designated place, but I'm not one of them.

Clearly because the government doesn't make it simple for you to solve this problem you should take the most destructive course possible.  Because those are the only two alternatives.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 878   Go Up