Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Artists need to make money to eat and to continue to make art. Artists used to rely on middlemen to collect their money on their behalf, thereby rendering themselves innocent of cash-handling in the public eye. Artists will now be coming straight to you (yes YOU, you who want their music, their films, their books) for their paychecks. Please welcome them. Please help them. Please do not make them feel badly about asking you directly for money.” -Amanda Palmer

Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1347382 times)

0 Members and 177 Guests are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2130 on: February 17, 2008, 03:38:39 pm »

Today I'm gonna recuperate from the week, which was good but tiring, and yesterday, where I had a wakefulness window of about six hours between waking up and evening-nap-that-went-too-long. This having-a-job thing is taking a lot out of me.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2131 on: February 17, 2008, 04:25:07 pm »

You need the Doonesbury cartoon I have on my wall - but unfortunately one has to pay for access to their online archives so  I can't email it to you. How uncivilized. It's one where Zonker gets a real job and is describing to that reverend guy what it feels like to go to work every morning:
Zonker: It feels..I dunno...hard to describe...
Rev:  Good?
Zonker: No, no, more like mono.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2132 on: February 17, 2008, 05:53:24 pm »

Having a job is terrible, even when the job itself is not terrible, I'm with ya.

We were not designed for all this meaningless toil, we were meant to run in fields and dream.

We were meant to gather what we needed day-by-day week-by-week and otherwise just sing.

It is not popular for an adult to admit this because it goes against the entire mythology of the Protestant Work Ethic that this twisted little country was built upon... God shows His love of you to the community by making you rich so work your ass off and lie and cheat and steal so that your neighbors will think that God loves you more than them... but it is true.

In our innocence and our arrogance... with a good dollop of cheating mixed in... we have created a mechanism within which sane and happy people staying both sane and happy is nearly impossible and the device speeds up a little bit more every coupla years.

Evolution does not work fast enough to adapt us to this sort of thing. In six or seven thousand years, we have built things that it would take us maybe a million years to properly adapt to and it is driving us mad.

I am probably exaggerating a bit but the basic idea, I really believe.

I mean, okay, it is my one day off and my girlfriend woke me up at seven in the morning by punching me right in the ear because she was fighting someone in a nightmare so I am as fuckin' ornery as Babe Ruth in a chastity belt but... holy Christ, I think the basic idea is sound.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2133 on: February 17, 2008, 06:31:08 pm »

today, I'm gonna realize that yesterday was the most wasted day of my life, possibly. Watched 2 Bourne Identity movies, watched Star Wars episode 3, only left my dorm building once, moped for a while about something stupid, napped. Didn't read, didn't start my short story that's due thursday. Played some good Rock Band, though.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2134 on: February 17, 2008, 06:39:31 pm »

...I'm gonna gripe to fuckall about waking up with a boxed ear, talk to some people on the phone, eat some Cinnamon Brown Sugar Toaster Strudels (the greatest guilty-pleasure food of all time, people) and then probably listen to Pink Floyd and work on the book.

I'm polishing up Chapter 29 currently. I am still battling this beast, goddamnit. Once I have polished up the rough drafts of 29 and 30, I am two-thirds done with the first draft.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2135 on: February 17, 2008, 07:20:05 pm »

....rewrite two paragraphs for an hour. Kind of stupid, because I get paid the same either way.

Of course, I don't have a full time job and so have plenty of time to needlessly rewrite paragraphs and then devote the rest of the day to singing... which turns out is a little more boring than in LFM's fantasy, at least for me, now that I am not sick all the damn time. And now that it's too cold at this time of year to run in the fields in this part of the country.

But a full time job is too much - I do remember that. What we need are four day workweeks, or six hour workdays. That would be plenty.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2136 on: February 17, 2008, 07:34:12 pm »

I am all about the thirty-two hour work-week.

The whole world would make a lot more sense with that.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2137 on: February 17, 2008, 08:19:28 pm »

...meet our very own AugustWest (Frank). He was a nice guy, I showed him around campus and the radio station. Unfortunately I lose the prize because we did not take a picture. I brought my camera and forgot about it, to be honest. I was a little anxious about meeting someone From the Internet, but it ends up he's a real person From the World, as well. I felt silly because I was being on the lookout for him, and of course as soon as I zoned out and turned on my iPod he popped up. We ran into my ex-girlfriend, which was funny, as I have not seen her all semester.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2138 on: February 17, 2008, 08:55:12 pm »

We ran into my ex-girlfriend, which was funny, as I have not seen her all semester.
"I ran into dan today. He was walking around with this older man he met on the internet..."
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2139 on: February 17, 2008, 09:00:45 pm »

I mean, I just said "oh, hi" and she waved and looked awkward, which is what she does every time I see her.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2140 on: February 17, 2008, 09:08:25 pm »

take my 5 (almost 6-) year old daughter to Chuck E. Cheese Pizzatime Theater to celebrate one of her accomplishments.  You know you've reached a place of maturity in life where being seen in/near one of the single uncoolest establishments in the history of mankind has no effect on your desire to go there and make your little one happy.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2141 on: February 17, 2008, 09:45:30 pm »

...I dunno, I still wanna go to Chuck's and just... y'know.

Rent it for a night, kick out all the kids and enjoy the place with adults and adult-beverages.

Eat mediocre pizza, play pinball and skeeball and watch animatronic concerts drunk.

This might have something to do with my being told I was too big for the ballcrawl at seven, when you are definitely supposed to be in the ballcrawl, and wanting that fuckin' ballcrawl time back.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2142 on: February 17, 2008, 11:19:15 pm »

..wake up and for the first time in ages have to be the first one out of bed because the Lady finally quite her shitty-ass job and is starting uni next monday (yay!). The main effect this has had on my life is that I decided to get up much later than usual because curling up till late next to your darling on a weekday morning is something to be treasured, yo.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2143 on: February 18, 2008, 04:01:37 am »

because curling up till late next to your darling on a weekday morning is something to be treasured, yo.
QFMFT
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2144 on: February 18, 2008, 04:11:32 am »

Rugby has taken all of the skin on or around my knee and a large portion of my back is solid muscle pain so Ill be drinking wine and popping tylenol like jujubes.
Also writing several papers.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 878   Go Up