Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Sometimes I don't know what the fuck y'all are talking about and I'm cool with that.

Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1349150 times)

0 Members and 201 Guests are viewing this topic.

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2385 on: March 24, 2008, 08:57:18 pm »

They get over that stuff quick.

It's difficult to tell when his fear is autism-related, when it's growing up with an overnervous dad related, and when it's just normal kid stuff.  I know most kids cry when you drop them off.  My mom's a preschool teacher.  I also know that some kids whose brains are wired similar to my kid's brain develop a fear of school that causes more damage than education can make up for. 

I'm so glad my fears were needless on this one, and I'm happy my dad can call me a jittery idjut.  But it's hard to make your kid wail like that when you're not sure you're doing the right thing.  It's not like I can trust expert advice on this.  Experts keep disagreeing, and most of them would 'cure' him into an entirely different person if they could.

AW, that's hilarious.  I was just going through PBF recently.  Not to be all one-note here, but the latest strip caught me as a great metaphor for curing Autism.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2386 on: March 24, 2008, 10:56:27 pm »

Carlos, I too run IE, and had similar problems recently.  I don't know when/if the system you were using does it's updates, or what operating system you are running, but for me, for Vista, there was some automatic system update that caused serious slow down to my internet connection related to only certain pages. At first I thought the internet was broken too, because I could access my online credit card account, run downloads off uTorrent no problem, but it would take 30 min to bring up my yahoo email account, and opening an actual message would take forever and often time-out.  I called my ISP tech support and they had me make a few minor adjustments that solved everything.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2387 on: March 26, 2008, 09:45:32 pm »

...realize that my stat teacher is teaching us in a really silly way, that isn't the way the other stat teachers do. She makes us do a ton more by hand (which, I mean, is OK because it makes me feel like I actually understand the math, but I would be doing much better in the class if this weren't the case), and is making us learn this really out-of-date stat-analysis program which isn't the same as the one we have to use in Experimental Psych, which is the class this is the prerequisite for. ARGH.

Also, I went to a lot of trouble to be in a certain place at a certain time to ask a girl out, but unfortunately this place was the radio station, and she finished her show and then this thing went wrong with the computer which made her Lose Her Cool in a very obvious way, and I had to run in and try to fix things. I mean... it was one of few situations where she could have a problem and I could swoop in and fix it, and she commented "thank god you were here, I had no idea what to do" as she walked out the door and I continued to scramble to figure out what was going on. eugh. my friend tried to make me feel better by saying "be honest, you probably would have decided not to at the last minute anyway, right?" Lately my friends are really really into being brutally honest.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2388 on: March 27, 2008, 05:36:27 am »

She makes us do a ton more by hand (which, I mean, is OK because it makes me feel like I actually understand the math, but I would be doing much better in the class if this weren't the case), and is making us learn this really out-of-date stat-analysis program...

Yeah, she's doing you a favour.  Short term suckage for sure, but believe me - get the concepts and it doesn't matter which package you end up using.  Something to keep in mind is to fix your attention on what the various tests do - the result you want to end up with.  Then work along the path to learn what each step of the analysis does to get you there.  Also, pay attention to how you move data in and out of the package, and how to manipulate it to get it into the "shape" the package needs to work properly.  If you can work out a general "theory" of how data is organized, and what stat analyses to use in various situations, the nuts and bolts of how its done doesn't take long to learn.  Again, your teacher is probably doing you a favor by using some clunky thing to teach principles.  The polished packages out there will give you answers whether you understand the question or not.  In some cases, this ends up being the wrong answer...
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2389 on: March 27, 2008, 02:44:01 pm »

yeah, I mean, it's just hard to see that she's doing a good thing for me when I am flunking the class, and all of my friends who have the other professor are complaining that they might have B's.
I completely Am Aware that I am flunking through my own laziness, but, it's still kind of galling.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2390 on: March 28, 2008, 05:40:05 pm »

on my radio show it was ska/reggae night, and right after I played a track off of Peter Tosh's album "Legalize It!" and almost had played the song "Legalize It" itself... my dad sent me an email checking whether it was my show that he was listening to, because the music was "weird" and it "doesn't sound like you."
First of all, I wonder what my dad thinks I play, as I stopped listening to my music loudly in my house quite a while ago. The only time I talk to him about music is when it's older stuff that I know he knows.
Second of all, does my dad probably think I'm some kind of hippy/pot-smoker now? Because... I just don't know how that would progress.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2391 on: March 28, 2008, 05:51:12 pm »

Today I'm going to apply for a job with the New York Mets.

They will have to back up not one but TWO dump trucks full of money to my house, and I'm by no means trying too hard at it.  Just sending in my resume to see what happens. 

I would much rather work for just about any MLB team than the Military-Industrial Complex.  And this position just about fits me to a T.  But the Mets?!?  Why did it have to be the Mets?
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2392 on: March 28, 2008, 06:04:57 pm »

Do I want to ask what the job is? Or should I just remain blissfully able to imagine that it involves wearing a costume with a really big head?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2393 on: March 28, 2008, 06:58:51 pm »

Ha!  No, I am not auditioning for Mr. Met.  It's an IT project manager position.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2394 on: March 28, 2008, 08:56:06 pm »

Ha!  No, I am not auditioning for Mr. Met.  It's an IT project manager position.

Is it Assistant to the Traveling Secretary?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2395 on: March 29, 2008, 02:08:35 am »

Quote from: carlosdelvaca
Why did it have to be the Mets?

The same reason most things happen: so that I can beg people to send me cool stuff.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2396 on: March 29, 2008, 04:48:47 pm »

last night I had a dream I was running for president. It was some kind of weird decision by the democratic party, and my friends were all mad at me for being part of their ploy.
I kept saying things about how my last job was making burritos.

at one point, the outgoing president, who looked like a cross between Ol' Willy and this guy I know's dad, tried to show his support for me by helping me wash some dishes at a big democratic party party. Everyone looked at me disappointedly as he was definitely acting like I was his kid.

Then I was at a weird house in a cliff with the jazz director at the radio station and we were sunbathing, then everyone I know showed up...

then I was trying to play Magic: The Gathering with someone who refused to understand that I don't really give a shit about that game,
then I was biting this woman's huge fake breasts (she was telling me to do this, and I was totally not into them, but I was being nice in some weird way? it was like "OW OW damn you boys sure do love my big fake breasts, haha. men!")
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2397 on: March 29, 2008, 05:14:37 pm »

Last night must have been the weird dream night, because Pedro dreamed he was walking naked through a hospital and nobody noticed, and I dreamed that he was about to strangle me at the behest of the evil mind-controlling villain in the imaginary video game I was trapped in. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2398 on: March 29, 2008, 05:37:33 pm »

In my dream last night, I was at a cemetery that was... holy to a small Eastern European ethnicity that I had never heard of but, at the same time, was a tourist attraction because it was an important location in a very famous movie.

I'm pretty sure I was somehow involved in the movie, like maybe I wrote the story it was based on or wrote the script but wasn't involved as a director or a producer or anything else and... I felt guilty because I hadn't intended it to turn out like this.

This slow bubbling tension between people who went there to honour their sacred dead and people who went there to see a place where famous people had once been... like... I just wrote the story, you know, and it wasn't about this place, it was about where I grew up...

The director and the locations guy picked this place because it was easy and cheap to use, I had nothing to do with it... but I felt guilty nonetheless because of my indirect involvement.

I tried to get away from it but I couldn't, wherever I went, people were talking about the controversy... even when I ducked into a mostly-empty store, that sold rare breakfast cereals, there was still a radio debate playing over the loud speaker.

David Bowie and Garrison Keilor, for some reason.

I bought a box of German Count Chocula (which I don't think actually exists) but it didn't help, I still felt guilty.

I was eventually visited by ghosts of dead people in my family but... it turned out that they were the ghosts of the ethnic people in the cemetery, just taking the form of my family members to make me feel even worse about the whole fuck*ng thing.

I got on a bus with my box of cereal, put on my headphones and headed out of that town... I'm pretty sure I was listening to ELO...

And then I woke up.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2399 on: March 29, 2008, 05:40:57 pm »

I dreamed I was on Ace of Cakes. I have never so much as baked brownies from a box like alone cakes that cost like $30 a serving.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 878   Go Up