Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am composing a tone poem about eagles, lawnmowers, and Ted Nugent. It is composed only of the sounds of those things.

Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1348872 times)

0 Members and 216 Guests are viewing this topic.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2445 on: April 04, 2008, 05:54:49 am »

I think it's related to Onstad's slowdown. New strips seem to lead to people checking out the board to see what's going on.

Also, Inev: It's not rape, it's surprise sex.

I'm sorry people, but as a member of the patriarchy I feel that something oppressive and demeaning was necessary.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2446 on: April 04, 2008, 08:34:53 am »

We talkin spring break stale or 'Nam ammo stale?
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2447 on: April 04, 2008, 12:24:10 pm »

C'mon people, step up, we can keep this board going without a strip to talk about.  WE doin' this too and I don't want to wait till Friday and Saturday evening.

And by the way, today I'm gonna...  see how much time I can spend surfing the internet, and doing my other jobs by email and phone, without the boss noticing.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2448 on: April 04, 2008, 01:44:06 pm »

Well it's friday night, I'm home from the pub and loaded. I'm ready to do my part to keep this board alive.
Oh not to be controversial but when the shit comes down and your country is razed from the map this will pretty much be why.
One of the reviews on IMDB totally makes it worth it though:
Quote
Witless Protection hits on multiple philosophical concepts and successfully presents them in a laugh out loud comedy headed by Larry the Cable Guy – surely someday to be regarded as a comic genius. From the title one might expect a "witless" comedy. Nothing could be further from the truth.

As British philosopher George Moore once said, "A man travels over the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it." This syllogism is expressed eloquently in "Witless Protection." Small town law enforcement officer Larry wants nothing more than to be an FBI agent. In keeping with comic tradition he bumbles his way into defeating criminals posing as FBI agents and ends up saving the life of Madeline, a role triumphantly played by Ivana Milicevic.

The movie succeeds in reaffirming the theme that there's no place like home portrayed in classics such as The Wizard of Oz and It's a Wonderful Life.

Because of its good-natured sensibility, Witless Protection is unfairly judged by people as being low class and trashy. Sometimes it seems the only acceptable prejudice these days is against white, Southern men. These critics simply miss the real message behind the film and the subtle "hands-off" love story between Larry and Madeline.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2449 on: April 04, 2008, 02:37:41 pm »

I think it's related to Onstad's slowdown. New strips seem to lead to people checking out the board to see what's going on.

Also, Inev: It's not rape, it's surprise sex.

I'm sorry people, but as a member of the patriarchy I feel that something oppressive and demeaning was necessary.

Saying that all penetration is rape is like saying that all gay & lesbian sex is masturbation. 

I have heard this argument before, and all I can think is that whoever argues this point clearly doesn't get enough. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2450 on: April 04, 2008, 02:42:31 pm »

I have heard this argument before, and all I can think is that whoever argues this point clearly doesn't get enough. 

Just to keep it in context, if your average male claimed a (supposed) feminist, no matter how crazy, just needed to get some.
Well I would not expect them to be an average male for very long is what I am getting at here.

First thing I did today (i.e. just after midnight) read my Spirit collection in a hot bath with a cold beer followed by a quick cold shower and a warm dressing gown. Life is awesome.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2451 on: April 04, 2008, 02:45:37 pm »

According to Clotaire Rapaille, thinking of sex itself as violence is a distinctly American thing.  Other cultures don't use phrases like "hit that" or "banging", and women in other cultures aren't subtly taught to fear intercourse as American women are.  But he's French.  What does he know?
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2452 on: April 04, 2008, 02:50:37 pm »

I may be being paranoid but I used 'supposed feminist' above because I wouldn't take anyone who said penetration was rape seriously.

But he's French.  What does he know?

How to look awesome in a cravat if that page is any guide. Would you recommend that book big P? I'd probably read it to see what his take on western/american culture (which I assume my country would fall under) is as much as anything else.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2453 on: April 04, 2008, 03:41:20 pm »

Yeah, but part of the point of feminism is to support equality between men and women.  That should mean that men and women are capable of mutually agreeing to and enjoying sex together.  To argue that all penetrative sex is violence is to deny the legitimacy of (hetero) female sexuality.  And to argue that women need special treatment or protection on the basis of gender isn't feminism, it's maternalism. 

Anybody want to take me on?  Shall I split this out into the History board?  What if I said that maternalism was the domain of man-hating lesbians and uninformed college girls? Could I get somebody to fight me on that? 

Come on, people.  The board has been slooooooow.  I'm tired of logging in to see that the only new replies are in the Pretend Sports thread. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2454 on: April 04, 2008, 05:59:40 pm »

How to look awesome in a cravat if that page is any guide. Would you recommend that book big P? I'd probably read it to see what his take on western/american culture (which I assume my country would fall under) is as much as anything else.

This book is incredibly fun to read.  It's mostly about America, but a few things about world culture.  Here's an excerpt from the book.  If you scroll down to Chapter 10, the Lego story is a great example.  The author is a French-born immigrant to America.  His story of being American-at-heart is endearing at the same time it seems calculated to be endearing.

My only complaint is that you don't come away a wiser person.  You don't come away knowing how to find the sort of information it presents on your own.  He tells you a bunch of 'culture codes' like "Quality to Americans simply means 'it works at all' which they like.  But Perfection means.  Americans shy away from perfection because it doesn't leave room to grow.  Also "Love in Japan is considered a temporary disease."  He tells you an overview of how he divined these insights.  But the book itself is kind of a tease.  "Here's a bunch of REALLY INTERESTING stuff.  Here's how I found it out: with millions of dollars-worth of focus groups and a lifetime of training and refining the method.  I know a lot more REALLY INTERESTING stuff, and I will sell it to your marketing department if you like."

I listened to the unabridged audio version from Audible.com.  It was pleasant.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2455 on: April 04, 2008, 10:00:05 pm »

Yeah, but part of the point of feminism is to support equality between men and women. 

I mean yeah, that is my feeling, I was just too full of firewater last night to communicate.
I was mainly observing that if I voiced this opinion of a theoretical pseudo-psycho-feminist as 'Bitch needs to get laid' I don't think it would go well for me.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2456 on: April 05, 2008, 12:22:17 am »

Yes, doc.  That is true.  I agree. 

I was just trying to start a fight.  <sigh.> 

My thesis is all done so I don't have to argue with myself on paper any more.  I need another outlet. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2457 on: April 05, 2008, 03:37:13 am »

Well I mean we could talk about abortion or stem cell research or something instead. Want to know how many embryos I'd sacrifice just for the chance of a medical break through?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2458 on: April 05, 2008, 05:57:35 pm »

Today I'm gonna put off doing my taxes until tomorrow. Today I'm gonna play Xbox in my underwear.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2459 on: April 05, 2008, 11:24:54 pm »

Today I'm going to can Melack for living the dreams of children who cannot speak for themselves.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 878   Go Up