Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood The next time you appreciate how nice large titties look, be happy and smile to yourself. You deserve it.

Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1349562 times)

0 Members and 157 Guests are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2730 on: May 06, 2008, 12:53:25 pm »

Really, I thought this was the board in question. ;P

I love Flashblock
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2731 on: May 06, 2008, 01:08:13 pm »

Do not meddle in the affairs of mods for they are unsubtle and quick to anger.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2732 on: May 06, 2008, 02:48:38 pm »

Do you prefer snakes or frogs Wombles? Just for future reference.

Nooooooo!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2733 on: May 06, 2008, 06:59:53 pm »

So apparently I missed a day in Cognitive Science where the professor basically said the most ridiculously Linguistically Prescriptivist thing EVER, and I am so mad.

Basically he gave an example of a really incomprehensible sentence ("the cat the artist the philosopher admired painted purred."), and said that almost no native speaker of English would say that it was Grammatical, but it IS because it follows the rules.
Also, the example... breaks a rule, unless you think of grammatical rules in a really silly, absolute way. Just because you can nest things doesn't mean you can do it infinitely and say it's grammatical?

Maybe he explained further. i am working off of the notes my friend took.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2734 on: May 06, 2008, 07:41:37 pm »

...change my mind about who to vote for in the primary about an hour before actually casting my vote. 

...accompany my son on his first field trip, and be completely exhausted at the end of it. 

...try to get some knitting done, because I really want to wear this cardigan/shrug. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2735 on: May 06, 2008, 10:34:43 pm »

Early this morning i completed 4 papers and 3 exams, now that Im finished for the semester, Im going to drink an ocean of tequila in forms of tequila sunrise and margarita and Tequila with Tequila and ice.

Also, has anyone ever wondered how JL and Pedro are online here at the same time? Are they really sitting in different rooms of the same house, on the same message board?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 10:49:47 pm by Arachno-capitalist »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2736 on: May 06, 2008, 11:17:12 pm »

In this instance, he was at work and I was at home. 

In other instances, yes.  We have been known to chat over AIM while sitting in the same room. 

Our geekitude knows no bounds. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2737 on: May 06, 2008, 11:18:53 pm »

In this instance, he was at work and I was at home. 

In other instances, yes.  We have been known to chat over AIM while sitting in the same room. 

Our geekitude knows no bounds. 

I can only hope that you were sending each other links to gadget-porn, webcomics, and well, porn.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2738 on: May 06, 2008, 11:22:27 pm »

You go ahead and hope that. 

Go riiiiight ahead. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2739 on: May 07, 2008, 12:39:03 am »

so, apparently my school is giving Phyllis Schlafly an honorary degree.

which is ironic, considering she says that women should not go to college.

My dad's comment is that if they had done this when he was in college, there would have been a riot. with things as they are, instead there is a Facebook Petition. Awesome and productive.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2740 on: May 07, 2008, 03:32:31 pm »

...get a reply re: the latest draft of my MA thesis, which I submitted over a month ago. 

To summarize, my third reader wrote, "This is very good, I would pass it as-is.  However, if you wanted to improve it, you could [perform Herculean feats of academic gymnasticizing in order to transform this horribly mangled heap of words and ideas into something that somebody might actually want to read someday]. 

She was quite nice about it. 

Also, today I'm gonna think about the made-up-just-now word "gymnasturbation," and wonder if I could find a suitable definition for it. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2741 on: May 07, 2008, 07:04:17 pm »

yep. you found out my secret.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2742 on: May 07, 2008, 09:00:21 pm »

...take care of my little malingerer.  I got several calls on my cell phone during a meeting this morning - after the third one I excused myself to answer instead of side-buttoning.  "Flushed face and tummy ache" was the diagnosis from the school nurse (attendance lady wearing an extra hat, actually).  Since she has perpetual cherub cheeks, and a tummy ache is Kaitlin-code for "I'm stressed out", I wasn't really expecting to find a budding case of the flu when I picked her up.  Based on bounciness and chatter volume, I'm pretty sure the adults have been had, again.  Undoubtedly the truth will out that there is an older kid in her extended day-care afternoon class picking on her.  At the moment she's faking being asleep while reading on my bed.  Thankfully my work situation is flexible with respect to this kind of stuff.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 09:03:43 pm by jaydub »
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2743 on: May 08, 2008, 12:35:36 am »

um, did not manage to get to the post office before it closed.

now I have to hope my friend who is driving me to the airport is willing to leave an hour or so earlier to drop things off to be shipped? oops.

she said it is OK, but she is so upset about her boyfriend leaving earlier today that she can't STAND to hang out with me, she just couldn't BEAR for me to see her in such a state. oof.


got B's in two classes where I should have gotten As. And, I passed my Psych Stats class.


it is pleasing to me that an album which I really dig just started getting all kinds of buzz in the press. this song is all I wanted to listen to for like a week. But mostly because I kind of wish I could be in an early 90's "alternative" band.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 08:37:23 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2744 on: May 08, 2008, 09:08:04 am »

Yesterday, a bird shat on my hand and I got locked in my college's postroom.

Despite this, I had a remarkably pleasant day.
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 878   Go Up