Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Fnord.

Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1348179 times)

0 Members and 200 Guests are viewing this topic.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2775 on: May 13, 2008, 08:51:56 pm »

...hope that Ben-San's mom is okay.

Also conclude that I should never try prose writing because I'd never be good at it, although it's something I've always considered. But seriously, when you're reading Stephen King (I'm a big fan, sorry people) and thinking, "I could never do that..." Well, I'm thinking I should just enjoy stuff other people write, because anything I did would probably just be derivative and maudlin.

Stephen King makes me want to write, though. I think it's because he's so prolific and just has a desire to set words down on the page, and he doesn't seem too self-important about it.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 01:24:17 am by lprkn »
Logged

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2776 on: May 13, 2008, 11:48:42 pm »

...find out that there are perforations somewhere in my mom's digestive tract (call from dad was unclear on where), something had leaked into her abdominal cavity, her large intestine is distended and there's a "probable colon cancer". She's in the ICU but stable and they'll probably operate on her some more tomorrow.

Presently playing video games in the hopes of forestalling panic attacks and freakout, because there's nothing actually useful I can do.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2777 on: May 14, 2008, 12:15:42 am »

..sit at home awaiting phone calls regarding my mother's surgery that she didn't know she needed until today.

...find out that there are perforations somewhere in my mom's digestive tract (call from dad was unclear on where)...there's a "probable colon cancer".

**palpates abdomen nervously**

I hope it turns out OK, Ben.  My Mom had a lupus scare during my (1st) Sr year of college.  Fortunately it turned out to be a combination of high blood pressure and stress.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2778 on: May 14, 2008, 01:01:55 am »

Fist of solidarity. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2779 on: May 15, 2008, 03:52:04 am »

... feel terrified by the amount of people who apparently want my money for things I'm supposedly supposed to want.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2780 on: May 15, 2008, 04:09:00 am »

poetic justice/irony?

I go to send this girl a letter which I edited several times to remove the things which come across as "I totally love you, I am creepy, you are perfect," and in the process of this I find out that her favorite books are my favorite books... plus The Fountainhead.

edit: I almost immediately regret this.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 04:12:29 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2781 on: May 15, 2008, 04:41:37 am »

Inev shrugs.

Why regret posting Inev? It is weird when you find out someone is very similar to you and then... wildly different. Happens more often than you'd think though, to me at least.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2782 on: May 15, 2008, 04:46:34 am »

oh, no, I regret the email I sent her.

I am still pretty sure that we have a lot in common. I will refrain from listing things. Her roommate, who is also my good friend, also likes those books-- "I hate the philosophy, but they are so well written!"
I laughed pretty hard, then realized she was serious. Hm.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2783 on: May 15, 2008, 01:18:45 pm »

...find that my most recent story made Yahoo News Most Emailed, and resist the impulse to look up email addresses in the profiles of every single person on this board and send it to you all to keep my stats up.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2784 on: May 15, 2008, 01:33:23 pm »

Wow, what a great story.  That sounds like a neat program -- I bet lots of people -- especially kids -- go in to animal shelters thinking, I want a cat that looks like Crookshanks or whatever, but end up bringing home an animal that is really not compatible with their lifestyles.  This story points out -- even to people who live in areas where the service isn't available -- that a pet is not a fashion accessory. 

Great job, wombles.  I'd link to it here but I don't know if you want your real name generally known. 

In other news, today I'm gonna wake up at 6 AM and realize that my baby girl has been sleeping for eight hours straight in her bassinet.   ;D
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2785 on: May 15, 2008, 01:40:06 pm »

Thank you! I am glad to hear that it conveys exactly the message that I had hoped.

Oh, and email it to all your friends!

Also: I can't decide about whether to link to something with my name on it here either but...easy internet stalking via blog link in sig, people.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2786 on: May 16, 2008, 04:28:43 am »

...get a response from a band saying "sure we'll play, name a price!" and have to figure out what is a reasonable amount to pay them.

then get a response from a girl saying a series of nice things, with a reference to "my awkward response to things in November" which made me laugh out loud. "things in november" I think should be my new euphemism for maximum cuddles.
Kind of makes me wish I had sent the "sorry I was wierd/a dick to you, it was because I had a big ol' crush on you" email while I still had any chance of being her friend. Oh well, I guess the lesson is learned.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2787 on: May 16, 2008, 04:53:49 am »

Kind of makes me wish I had sent the "sorry I was wierd/a dick to you, it was because I had a big ol' crush on you" email while I still had any chance of having another thing in november. Oh well, I guess the lesson is learned.

Just saying.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2788 on: May 16, 2008, 05:12:29 am »

oh, no, there was almost no question of that. Part of the reason I was being weird was also that it was pretty apparent she was not into that idea.

(or at least, that is how it seemed at the time. what with the not calling me back and all.)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2789 on: May 16, 2008, 01:57:31 pm »

Today Im going to drive 6.3 hours to the outer banks of the great state of north carolina. Ive only been to the border of NC before to buy 190 proof liquor (illegal in VA). 10 rugby guys + their girlfriends in a giant house on the beach for a week.
I've never been arrested before.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 878   Go Up