Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Metallica would be a lot less powerful if they ended every show by reciting the ABCs.

Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1349198 times)

0 Members and 198 Guests are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2880 on: June 04, 2008, 11:35:17 pm »

ACAP, I would suggest...maybe taking a year off, working in a field you think you might like, and then deciding re: more school.

I can vouch for this one. Though our fields are very different taking a year (it ended up being two) after honours to work as a lab monkey was really good for me, I developed lots of practical skills that I wouldn't have had otherwise. I'm going back to uni (hopefully, still waiting to hear if I got in) next year and I think I'll be able to approach it with my head in a much better place and I'm sure now that it's what I want to do because I'm much more aware of the alternatives and if the extra schooling doesn't work out then I'm much more employable because of my experience.
It also gave me a chance to earn some decent money and achieve financial equilibrium, but I'm guessing A-Cap doesn't need help with that one.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2881 on: June 05, 2008, 02:03:31 pm »

Today I'm gonna think real seriously about blowing off work in the afternoon to go to the baseball game.  I have tickets for the night game, but since we had apocalyptic storms last night, that game was rained out and scheduled for 1 PM.

I have a 2 PM conference call.  I can take that from the ballpark, right?  It won't be too distracting?
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2882 on: June 05, 2008, 07:12:40 pm »

I have a 2 PM conference call.  I can take that from the ballpark, right?  It won't be too distracting?
Make sure you mute your mic.
Since baseball games rarely interrupt a nap, I doubt one would affect your CC.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2883 on: June 05, 2008, 07:51:25 pm »

Today I'm not gonna go to an afternoon baseball game, because MY CO-WORKERS ARE ALL FUCKIN' RETARDED. 

ALL OF THEM.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2884 on: June 05, 2008, 09:54:29 pm »

...rejoice in the electrically powered lifestyle!  Internet! Laundry! Two kinds of defrosted but not warm enough to be spoiled, I hope, frozen pizza!  Nice clean freezer with lots of room to store new things!  Air conditioning when it's as hot as Hades when it's just the beginning of June!

Yes, I am trying to put the best possible face on it.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2885 on: June 05, 2008, 11:17:02 pm »

Yeah, well, but also keep in mind that 2/3 of the rest of the world don't only get paid if they can send files to people over the Internet by specific deadlines.

Remind me not to go to Spain.

Also I meant to say, Carlos, I am so sorry about your retarded co-workers.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2886 on: June 06, 2008, 01:44:47 am »

Today I'm going to post a picture I took while in Seattle.

For some reason, it made me think of KeithHernandez.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2887 on: June 06, 2008, 03:29:07 pm »

camp is wonderful, no kids here yet though. My coworkers all know hell of people that I know, thus further proving that I am a 6-degrees type person.
One of them knows Hobot. WEIRD. Basically every day here is an adventure. I am having a good time. Very good. Hell of crushes on girls, all of whom have boyfriends, or are lesbians, are 5 years older than me, etc. It's pretty rad.

Yesterday I looked up where the closest used bookstore was (Asheville) and drove all the way there. I wandered around and couldn't find it, so I went into a New book store and used the wi-fi. The ones directly around me were all pretty lame, apparently, so I looked up how to get to the place we were meeting for dinner. It was like 40 minutes away, and we were supposed to meet in 30 minutes, so I left.
Yeah, I drove like 1.5 hours only to walk around for 10 minutes and then turn around. Also, I got lost so many times. Long mountain roads with 65MPH speed limits and no intersections for 10 miles are scary.

Also, I am on Empty, and I think I am going to run out of gas in the woods, where there is no cell reception. Awesome.

I'm really tempted to describe my various coworkers, who are really interesting and weird, but mostly there's this one lady who is like EVERY STEREOTYPE EVER of a family therapist. Oh man, she is hilarious.

EDIT: OH OH OH
there is a 1/8 chance that I will be Stephen Colbert's kid's counselor.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 03:56:21 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2888 on: June 07, 2008, 01:41:15 am »

Print up a map of the Race for the Cure tomorrow and mark all the metro stations near the walking route. It's supposed to be so hot and muggy that my mom will almost certainly want to bail before we finish the whole 5K and this way we'll always know the shortest path home.

On the plus side my work pays registration fees for employees and up to 5 friends/family members so it won't feel like we've wasted money if we quit after a mile.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2889 on: June 07, 2008, 01:44:41 am »

my mom will almost certainly want to bail...

You know, if you mis-read that last word just a little it really changes the meaning of that sentence.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2890 on: June 07, 2008, 02:30:24 am »

I forgot that yesterday's installment of Today I'm Gonna should have been:
... go interview to be on an episode of a new TV show with Emeril Lagasse.

I was so pleased by the electricity being on when I got home that I forgot about the whole experience.

And today's installment is:
...work my last day at the zoo, happily, because it really wasn't fun this time around and I have a lot of projects I want to get started on... and then ten minutes before I leave, have another curator call and ask if I want a job till the end of July.

I said I'd think about it over the weekend but I really, really don't want this job. But I really like this guy and have always wanted to work for him and it's going to be really hard to say no.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2891 on: June 07, 2008, 07:48:05 pm »

Go in to work, and thank Marketing for giving us the wrong dates once again.  I may or may not need to go in again tomorrow.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2892 on: June 08, 2008, 12:54:25 am »

...be (with my wife) the only representatives from my office (from a pledged group of eight) who actually managed to show up for a day of work at a Habitat for Humanity house. It was about 240 degrees here today, which was fantastic. One of the girls from the downstairs office showed up with some of her friends, and the joke I cracked at her expense* had me laughing for about thirty minutes... though in retrospect, that was probably from heat exhaustion or something.

* "I need to put more sunscreen on, so I don't go into work on Monday looking all stupid."
"It's gonna take a lot more than sunscreen, dear."
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2893 on: June 08, 2008, 04:20:44 am »

whoo, yeah, it was a hot one here today.  I pity the fools who had to do things outside. 

I took my boy shopping and left the girl home with her dad.  She's about to get her first teeth, and has been making things UnPleasant for me for a couple of days.  Plus, Little P was due for some one-on-one Mama time.  We had a nice lunch at Chili's, during which he showed enormous restraint by choosing to stab his new shoes with a fork (as opposed to the other patrons), and even ventured to taste the apple juice the waitress brought even though it did not arrive in box form.  Then I took him to Target and bought him a CD player so he can listen to his favorite music whenever he wants.  (We're giving him burned copies of his CDs so we don't have to worry about him scratching up the originals.)  He thought that was pretty cool. 

Oh, and also I sent in a submission package for an unpaid writing gig.  So, maybe I'll be a video game reviewer sometime soon.  Or, maybe I'll get horribly, horribly rejected.  You know, whatever. 

Was that nonchalant enough?  Should I try again? 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2894 on: June 08, 2008, 06:14:48 am »

I went to a Hungarian street festival with another Magyar, my main knucklehead. It was great, but hot spicy oily food isn't what a dude needs in this heat. My car thermo registered a 104° outside temp, thats cool. It felt like I was walking on the surface of Mercury. So naturally we said F this and utilized margarita fixins before heading to the bar and playing hours of bumper pool.
Tomorrow: predicted to be hotter and more humid. So ill be in my room with AC blasting. Also, Feed cats.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 878   Go Up