Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You might, rabbit

You might.

Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1348109 times)

0 Members and 194 Guests are viewing this topic.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2940 on: June 16, 2008, 04:32:23 pm »

Today I'm gonna complain about how hard it is to get back to work after a week's vacation.

Wombat, looks like we passed you on the way back from the beach.  We were in Bethany for the week, with a couple of trips up to Rehoboth.  Love that Funland.

Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2941 on: June 16, 2008, 05:12:31 pm »

... spend quiet moments during my workday feeling pleased that my return (yesterday) to the lacrosse field didn't result in heatstroke, injury, or embarrassment.  I won a face-off, made some good defensive plays, and was in the right place at the right time a couple times on offense.  We won two of two games, 11-10 and 10-8.  I do, however, feel like a couple teenagers worked me over with 6-foot titanium sticks.  Adventure!
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2942 on: June 16, 2008, 06:09:55 pm »

Today I'm gonna complain about how hard it is to get back to work after a week's vacation.

Wombat, looks like we passed you on the way back from the beach.  We were in Bethany for the week, with a couple of trips up to Rehoboth. 

Indeed! Today I am complaining the same even though it was only a long weekend.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2943 on: June 17, 2008, 04:05:50 pm »

Now come on Ash you can surely give us a better picture than that!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2944 on: June 18, 2008, 02:56:23 am »

…enjoy the hell out of my new CDs. Brian Eno, Before and After Science; John Phillips, John the Wolfking of L.A.; and The Flying Burrito Brothers Anthology 1969-1972 (incorporating The Gilded Palace of Sin, Burrito Deluxe, and The Flying Burrito Brothers).

Yes yes yes, so good.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2945 on: June 18, 2008, 04:07:56 am »

Does anyone else here ever smell things randomly, like from an olfactory memory bank that shoots off once in awhile?


Yes, I know.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 04:31:45 am by Arachno-capitalist »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2946 on: June 18, 2008, 04:24:18 am »

Yeah all the time, typically a particular memory will bring something back and I can smell the thing I associate with that memory. Like the dusty cardboard box we kept the tinsel and decorations in for christmas.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2947 on: June 18, 2008, 08:16:55 am »

The Flying Burrito Bros are amazing!  All GP stuff is.  Eno is good too.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2948 on: June 18, 2008, 01:06:01 pm »

Hopefully get to mess around with the Spore Creature Creator. I downloaded it yesterday but didn't get a chance to install it. My video card just bare meets the minimum requirements, so I'm not sure how it will work out.

I assume the release of this is why JL wasn't around yesterday.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2949 on: June 18, 2008, 03:28:35 pm »

Hopefully get to mess around with the Spore Creature Creator. I downloaded it yesterday but didn't get a chance to install it. My video card just bare meets the minimum requirements, so I'm not sure how it will work out.

I assume the release of this is why JL wasn't around yesterday.

Unfortunately, my absence was related to a teething infant, a parent-teacher conference, a mountain of laundry, and a desperate search for a birthday present for my niece.  I am, however, on the list to review Spore for PopMatters when it's released in September. 

Yeah all the time, typically a particular memory will bring something back and I can smell the thing I associate with that memory. Like the dusty cardboard box we kept the tinsel and decorations in for christmas.

Your post made me smell that box, and then triggered the inevitable follow-up olfactory memory: Christmas cookies. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2950 on: June 18, 2008, 05:35:01 pm »

One random olfactory memory that pops up for me every now and again is the cat-pee soaked box of legos I had as a kid.  If it had just been the box, I'm sure it would have been replaced.  Unfortunately it was the entire 10 pounds or so of legos.  This association is particularly puzzling to me at some level when my kid and I are playing with her legos.  They don't stink - can they really be legos?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2951 on: June 18, 2008, 05:43:22 pm »

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2952 on: June 18, 2008, 05:45:45 pm »

Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2953 on: June 18, 2008, 07:55:44 pm »

Bury my mother's aunt. What a depressing funeral. Not depressing like "man, what a loss" but depressing in that there was 5 people there and she was buried in a plastic coffin. The gravediggers all standing around smoking while some guy read a psalm.
"Well, thats one way to go" I said, and put my flowers on her coffin, the only flowers.

1500
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 08:05:20 pm by Arachno-capitalist »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2954 on: June 19, 2008, 05:08:32 pm »

Wow that sounds awesome. How did you learn enough about farriering to offer a superior quality service?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 878   Go Up