Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What we need more of is science.

Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1348835 times)

0 Members and 224 Guests are viewing this topic.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2985 on: June 28, 2008, 06:30:00 am »

I guess when modern liberalism is packaged with the right kind of spunk, tits, and harmony, even I can sing along.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2986 on: June 28, 2008, 07:24:26 am »

that and ani difranco got married to a dude in 1997 makes me lol

the lesbian activities director at my college threw away all her ani difranco CDs

she owned every CD ani ever released

also: she was both a lesbian and director of activities. she was not the director of lesbian activities.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2987 on: June 28, 2008, 01:44:37 pm »

See thats ridiculous, if she had ever listened to all those CDs shed know that Ani is a bisexual and has no desire to be some lesbian totem. She also has a kid brought through normal sexual production.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2988 on: June 28, 2008, 01:59:34 pm »

also: she was both a lesbian and director of activities. she was not the director of lesbian activities.

Colour me disappointed.

A-CAP, the idea that you can like Ani while I find her incredibly obnoxious is just one of those mysteries of the universe.

My theory is that A-Cap can like any commercially successful dirty leftist hippy.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2989 on: June 28, 2008, 02:44:29 pm »

that and ani difranco got married to a dude in 1997 makes me lol

the lesbian activities director at my college threw away all her ani difranco CDs

she owned every CD ani ever released

also: she was both a lesbian and director of activities. she was not the director of lesbian activities.

Yeah, that makes me laugh. It was a minor scandal when it leaked that Dar Williams was straight. She said that she would have preferred that her orientation remain publicly unknown for "solidarity," i.e., "so that the lesbians keep buying my CDs." Hell hath no fury like a lesbian who finds out her idols crave the cock.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2990 on: June 28, 2008, 05:29:13 pm »

There is no doubt that Ani DiFranco is a fine fine lookin' lady.

There is also no doubt that said fine fine lookin' lady has devoted her life to churning out shrill tripe.

"my boyfriend watches too much football/so I'm gonna go eat pussy" is... every lyric she writes.

So... you're all right to some degree! See! When we're not on politics, we can rationally compromise.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2991 on: June 28, 2008, 06:02:32 pm »

PS: LFM, I really disliked Cat's Cradle, but Breakfast of Champions is effing brilliant.

Between that and this book about John Lennon I just read, I am rethinking my stance on the need to be nice all the time.

Vonnegut's comment that language used to be a way to communicate ideas, but has become a way for people to agree with each other to be polite hit pretty close to home. Also, comments about people buying into bullshit american dream, etc. I am struggling a lot lately with my tendency to take things at face value, and to think that as long as people have good intentions I should think that what they are doing is OK. I am having trouble communicating what I am trying to say here, for some reason.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2992 on: June 29, 2008, 05:13:47 am »

Why did you dislike "Cat's Cradle", if I might ask?

I... kind of can't imagine disliking it.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2993 on: June 29, 2008, 02:37:14 pm »

I don't know. I like Breakfast of Champions because it makes me laugh and it makes me think. Cat's Cradle didn't do either of those things to me. I have read it twice and I cannot remember anything clever from it.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2994 on: June 29, 2008, 06:08:14 pm »

I like Breakfast of Champions because it makes me laugh and it makes me think.

Does it like to run? And then the thing? With the… person?
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2995 on: June 29, 2008, 09:00:18 pm »

I think "Cat's Cradle" just...

Captured the human condition after the world got small so fuck*ng well, I guess.

All these people wandering around, very few evil but so many greedy or ignorant, looking for something greater than ourselves... stumbling around, looking for a God that is at-best absent and more likely non-existent, looking for love when everyone's too messed up to know what the hell that is...

People too smart for their own good, making up religions and weapons and personal mythologies...

Until someone figures out how to just end the whole damned thing, on purpose or accident.

And that in the mix there, that awful unavoidable mess of sweetly dumb people grasping for magic while fumbling toward Armaggedon, all that can really be said in our defense or to make anything even slightly better... is that at some points a few of us were nice to each other.

The world cannot be saved, God will not be found, the answers are forfeit, the mysteries are jokes at best... but sometimes we can be nice to each other and even if that's not quite enough, it is something.

Its something and if only there was somewhere to keep socre, it would certainly count in some way.

Somehow. Somewhere.

And... that's a perfect and perfectly honest vision of this damned human race.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2996 on: June 29, 2008, 09:26:32 pm »

...go find tiny baby frogs that still have tails, in a pond.

You have to click here to see, so JL doesn't have to.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2997 on: June 30, 2008, 12:46:05 am »

...come home from Lynchburg to find that our air conditioning is out. AGAIN. There appears to be a fuse in the air conditioner that likes to blow out. This machine is a little over a year old. So we bought some industrial fans to circulate the air in case this becomes a problem too expensive to fix.

Now, of course, the thunderstorm is rolling in so we'll have to close all the windows and lose the fresh air that's making it palatable.

Oh, and my father-in-law is here for the night before he and my wife go to Pittsburgh in the morning.

(sound of head thumping on wall)
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2998 on: June 30, 2008, 02:07:47 am »

Quote from: Golfhaus
...come home from Lynchburg to find that our air conditioning is out.

I'm not a huge fan of places changing their names for politically correct reasons but...

I'll make an exception here.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #2999 on: June 30, 2008, 02:45:53 am »

I'm not a huge fan of places changing their names for politically correct reasons but...
Home of Jack Daniels?  Ain't gonna happen.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 878   Go Up