Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Terrible dream where Bobby Flay came to my childhood home, danced on the table, recited verse, and we had nothing interesting for him to do.

Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1349456 times)

0 Members and 161 Guests are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3045 on: July 11, 2008, 09:57:15 pm »

Oh God, will it be OVER then? I can't stand reliving this, even just vicariously through imaginary Internet people.

It's all over but the screaming...by which I mean paperwork. 

I passed.  I may still make a few changes, but only because of my overdeveloped sense of academic perfectionism. 

Afterwards, my adviser told me, "If you were a weaker student, that would have been a very different examination.  Weak students get softball questions.  We treat good students more like fifty-year-old colleagues." 

I told him I would remember that if I ever get my Ph.D., and try to lower everyone's expectations from the start. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3046 on: July 11, 2008, 11:27:56 pm »

Congrats JL!
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3047 on: July 12, 2008, 12:08:11 am »

Congratulations to JL, it must be a relief.

Today I will celebrate Slurpee day by enjoying complimentary slurpees from 7-11, today being 7/11.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3048 on: July 12, 2008, 12:40:55 am »

Afterwards, my adviser told me, "If you were a weaker student, that would have been a very different examination.  Weak students get softball questions.  We treat good students more like fifty-year-old colleagues." 


Oh, this is SO true. My advisor and I were pretty much not speaking to each other right after I submitted my dissertation, because he had kept pushing me to make more and more changes that I knew he wouldn't have asked someone else for.  We made up pretty quickly and were good friends after that and he admitted that he had done exactly that thing.

I understand why after being on the other side of it - there are some students where you're so relieved that they handed the damn thing in finally, you're just not going to push your luck - but I tried really hard not to do it to people. It is SO unfair.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3049 on: July 12, 2008, 01:40:21 am »

w00t
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3050 on: July 12, 2008, 03:02:25 am »

Congratulations!

I am superglad you have gotten through it!

Though, also, thank you for reminding me of the fact that I would rather die of exposure as a homeless schizophrenic on the streets of Calcutta than return to the educational system for a minute.

You are a stronger person than I am, to go through the crippling boredom of schooling again to better yourself.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3051 on: July 12, 2008, 08:21:11 am »

yay jay ell! congrats, den momma.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3052 on: July 12, 2008, 12:18:59 pm »

woo! huzzah! JL, I am very proud of you for getting through this. My own momma finished up her PhD right after I was born, so I have been told many stories about how difficult it is to juggle the things you have juggled. You are a strong lady.



I got assassinated right as I was leaving for my night off. Lame-sauce. Also, it ends up my offense was not as subtle as I thought. Mostly because I cannot do something as corny as double-crossing someone without smirking, because irony's mycelium mat is deep in my body.

Also, my night off kind of blew, but only because I am still really bad at being happy alone at this point in my life. I drove to Asheville, wandered around for like an hour, and then drove home feeling sorry for myself and listening to music. I am better this morning, I plan on going to town to buy some stuff I need with the 4 more hours I have off.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3053 on: July 12, 2008, 01:18:01 pm »

Congratulations JL.  Now get your ass out there and make some money.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3054 on: July 12, 2008, 04:41:03 pm »

JL you..are..rad.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3055 on: July 12, 2008, 08:43:52 pm »

Den mother - now, Den Mistress of Arts

I'm assembling large quantities of Ikea furniture today in some tangential expression of my wife's nesting instincts.  I would rather be brewing.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3056 on: July 12, 2008, 09:45:32 pm »

...watch the Technical Staff install a new door. Very manly.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3057 on: July 15, 2008, 05:24:17 pm »

On Friday, July 11, Free Slurpee Day, the man who put a gun to my face and told me to drive him around was sentenced to 14 years in state prison. HEYO.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3058 on: July 15, 2008, 05:31:20 pm »

No more Slurpees for him!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3059 on: July 15, 2008, 09:51:27 pm »

Asherdan you card. I see what you did there.

Haha. Slurp.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 878   Go Up