Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

It sounds to me like you haven't read the Sex Rulebook! The first rule of Sex is that everybody can always get it on. Man, go for it! Awesome! Awesome! -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1343074 times)

0 Members and 193 Guests are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3285 on: August 28, 2008, 11:05:43 pm »

I need to go find some old copies of the stainless steel rat books at an old book store.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3286 on: August 29, 2008, 12:15:39 am »

I need to go find some old copies of the stainless steel rat books at an old book store.

Yeah, because they are basically treasure.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3287 on: August 31, 2008, 08:03:30 pm »

last night we walked about 1.5 miles to our friend's apartment. it was fun. we hung out and played Katamari. When we were leaving my roommate loudly said "oh man, (one of the girls) is so goddamn hot!" and then the girls yelled "BYE, BOYS!" out the window, so we are pretty sure they heard him. He was mortified, it was hilarious.

Then we thought a road that goes east-west was going north-south, and we got pretty lost. I just google-mapped our route, and apparently we walked 4 miles instead of the 1.5 we should have walked. It took us an hour to get home.

It wasn't so much that it was a long way as that... the majority of the distance was going in the wrong direction. And then fixing it, and back-tracking.

It was one of those things where... when we finally hit the street we thought we should have hit a long time before, we said "holy HELL how did we get this far west??"

It was fun, anyway.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 08:30:17 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3288 on: August 31, 2008, 08:59:36 pm »

Brew up some beer.  For whatever reason, I let the kegs run dry around May or so, and didn't have time to make more.  That's the good thing about long weekends, I guess.  Lets you catch up.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3289 on: August 31, 2008, 09:18:59 pm »

Thats funny because I too started some fermentation. This year's gallons will be brewed for flavor as opposed to last year's which was brewed exclusively for high alcohol content. I also want to try to make some hard cider this fall.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3290 on: August 31, 2008, 09:28:10 pm »

my friends are trying to brew moonshine from this recipe they found online.

This seems like an incredibly stupid idea. The way you know you did it right is that it tastes like poison?

I tried moonshine this summer and it isn't something I want again.


In other news:
I am trying to learn Beatles songs on the guitar, and they are ridiculously hard. What the heck?

Happiness is a Warm Gun has parts in such as 5/4, 9/8, 12/8, 10/8, so I tried "I Saw Her Standing There"-- still way too complicated, somehow.

It's good to get some perspective, I guess. The Beatles were basically awesome at taking a song in the most basic rock progression and making it so that somehow I can't play it. Mostly though layering so many dang guitars.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 10:12:49 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3291 on: August 31, 2008, 10:11:18 pm »

good quality moonshine is great stuff. Making moonshine yourself from something you read on the internet is not a good idea. You have a very good chance of producing the wrong kind of alcohol.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3292 on: August 31, 2008, 10:17:21 pm »

High alcohol beer is almost universally wretched.  There are yeast strains out there that have been bred to make alcohol for use as a fuel - the beer made using them has the predictable flavor.  Lots of high-molecular weight fusels, powerful esters, tons of yeasty off-flavors.  Hard to drink enough of it to get wasted.

About the only beverage related use for those strains is drying out mead in the last few points.  If you keep it relatively cool they'll eat the free sugars and not make too much nastiness.

It is neat as a stunt to make a 14% beer or something.  I've just never run across one that I'd want to drink much of (let alone 5 gallons worth!).  You'll have fun with the actual brewing yeasts though.  Tons of varieties that make good beer that would still make a commercial beer drinker beg for mercy after three or four.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 10:20:22 pm by jaydub »
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3293 on: September 01, 2008, 11:51:14 pm »

Be seriously confused by all the goddamn lingvo happening, because he checked this thread last.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3294 on: September 03, 2008, 12:56:57 am »

Logic is awesome. Good lord, this class is like... math without numbers? computer programming? I don't know. But I like it.

My Cognitive Science professor continues to be one of my favorite people. He did this awesome research over the summer, and when I asked him about it he said I should schedule a meeting with him so he can tell me all about it. The first day of class he told us to fill out an index card with our name, email address, favorite type of music, and favorite movie. "I can remember people's names better if I can categorize them. Haha!" Our first reading was from The Mismeasure of Man by Steven J Gould, which is about all the unscientific business that went on around Intelligence testing and using it to rank races on standard intelligence (I feel like we talked about this here, once). The book is awesome, and now I want to read the rest of it. Then in class he talked about going to see Slayer when he was in high school as an example of a memory with a lot of aspects, and he said that the brain is like lunchmeat.
Oh, also he is just a really nice guy. And attractive.

Also my anthro class, which is about how cultures interact with their environment, especially through food production, is pretty awesome. And relevant to things in the news. It's cool because he presents evidence that basically says "the environment is going to hell," and then he has us read an article saying that the previous article was a bunch of statistical hocus-pocus.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3295 on: September 03, 2008, 07:35:53 am »

Today, I'm gonna realize that "Blitzkreig Bop" is actually titled that because... those words are in the song.

I don't listen to punk very closely, we've covered this, it's not my thing but...

I always thought that in the place where I just realized he says "blitzkreig bop!" instead of what I always thought he said:

"Let's give up!"

That's seriously what I always thought the words were. "Let's give up!"

This may be more of an insight into my psyche than I want to consider.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3296 on: September 03, 2008, 05:10:15 pm »

Mmmm...bop
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3297 on: September 03, 2008, 08:54:34 pm »

be-bop.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3298 on: September 04, 2008, 08:45:42 am »

shop bop a do-wop
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3299 on: September 04, 2008, 04:44:14 pm »

...realize that last night I committed myself to spending the next four years 'running through the chairs'.


I hope I'm not the only one who has no idea what that means.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 878   Go Up