Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood C:\> Get on the Night Train. || You are on the Night Train. There is an Axl Rose here.

Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1343062 times)

0 Members and 193 Guests are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3315 on: September 07, 2008, 09:54:44 pm »

Cort, you might be amused to know that for several months now, the inflight magazine of the airline I work for has listed Hamilton as a destination that we fly to. They show it located a little west of the Baltimore/National/Dulles cluster. I'm not sure why. I think someone got confused when told they needed to add Hamilton, Bermuda.

That is awesome. Leesburg at least has an airport (and big FAA building, incidentally) but Hamilton is like a gas station and this one restaurant.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3316 on: September 07, 2008, 10:12:16 pm »

I put up photos of our new place, and photos from the summer on Flickr. I forgot how gorgeous the mountains were... sigh.

This makes me miss camp.

(having a teepee in the middle of Appalachia is incredibly historically incorrect.)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3317 on: September 07, 2008, 11:06:42 pm »

Next thing we know sideshow is going to join the circus and a-cap is going to grow six more legs.
Oh please? That would be totally awesome. Anyway if my studies to date are any indicator, I can always find time to procrastinate with you imaginary people.

Ramen, I went with Ramen. You just can. not. beat. that price.
You have a fair idea of my plan. They sell those things in 24 packs for a reason.

Yesterday was my mom's 60th birthday. We went to a restaurant that was apparently hosting a wedding. Which meant we had to sit in the bar. The main effect was that the chef didn't have time to make any of the sauces, so everything came smothered in butter sauce. Luckily I didn't order the steak, since 90% of the reason I get the steak there is for their tasty bernaise.

That's understandable but still  a bit shitty, I hope they gave you a discount or something.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3318 on: September 08, 2008, 07:17:04 am »

so, I'm reading for my anthro class, which is about how the means of food production have a huge effect on culture. Pretty great stuff. Also: some of the best phrases ever. Only one is due to a typo.

"Guano Imperialism"
"...resurrected by Neo-Malthusians after World War 11..."

And others. Some good stuff about capitalism.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3319 on: September 08, 2008, 01:06:37 pm »

Well its not every day that the government takes over companies worth trillions of dollars, so Ill be geeking out watching this move through the market.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3320 on: September 08, 2008, 03:20:54 pm »

From what I understand, this is a semi-regular occurrence in Russia.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3321 on: September 08, 2008, 03:35:18 pm »

From what I understand, this is a semi-regular occurrence in Russia.

In Soviet Russia, companies nationalize YOU!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3322 on: September 08, 2008, 03:39:04 pm »

Well its not every day that the government takes over companies worth trillions of dollars, so Ill be geeking out watching this move through the market.

Bump.

From what I understand, this is a semi-regular occurrence in Russia.

Set. 

In Soviet Russia, companies nationalize YOU!

SPIKE! 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3323 on: September 08, 2008, 04:09:26 pm »

From what I understand, this is a semi-regular occurrence in Russia.
I thought it was funny when secretary paulson tried to justify all of this tax dollar expenditure as an "investment" and that the government could actually make money doing this. By that logic, the government should also use tax dollars to buy google, i hear thats a good investment too.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3324 on: September 08, 2008, 04:31:23 pm »

I always though that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were quasi-government entities to begin with, like the post office (sorry, Post OfficeTM)

There's a huge Sallie Mae office right by my work. Their building is on American Dream Blvd. I find this really funny for some reason.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3325 on: September 08, 2008, 04:33:01 pm »

Well its not every day that the government takes over companies worth trillions of dollars, so Ill be geeking out watching this move through the market.
My guess is that it will be like a golfball-sized kidney stone.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3326 on: September 08, 2008, 04:41:28 pm »

so, I'm reading for my anthro class, which is about how the means of food production have a huge effect on culture. Pretty great stuff. Also: some of the best phrases ever. Only one is due to a typo.

"Guano Imperialism"
"...resurrected by Neo-Malthusians after World War 11..."

And others. Some good stuff about capitalism.

Seems like alternate history 101 would be a fun class. Although it wouldn't take a whole lot to be better than actual history 101.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3327 on: September 08, 2008, 05:08:28 pm »

I always though that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were quasi-government entities to begin with, like the post office (sorry, Post OfficeTM)

Yeah, but I guess there are so many different things that 'quasi' can mean.

Also: The next writing contest should be a story that makes sense with the title 'Guano Imperialism.'
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3328 on: September 08, 2008, 05:26:16 pm »

Seems like alternate history 101 would be a fun class. Although it wouldn't take a whole lot to be better than actual history 101.

You just play Red Alert and watch Code Geass all day.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3329 on: September 08, 2008, 09:19:42 pm »

why are mortgage companies named such silly names?

When I heard an NPR piece taken from the BBC where they mentioned Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae, I thought it was some kind of joke about dumb Americans. But those are actually the names. Weird.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 878   Go Up