Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that nobody but Wombat notices what is in the News Box?

Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1343732 times)

0 Members and 147 Guests are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3330 on: September 08, 2008, 11:02:39 pm »

Don't forget Fannie's sister, Sallie Mae! 

She loant me money for schoolin'. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3331 on: September 08, 2008, 11:28:23 pm »

Fortunately, you went and got learnt with it, unlike my brother in law, who spent his on hookers and blow.

At least, that would have been cooler than what he actually spent it on, which was rims for his truck and video games.  Best place for that knucklehead was in the Army where he had Sergeants yelling at him to put his damn socks in the footlocker.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3332 on: September 08, 2008, 11:41:27 pm »

They're funky acronyms, I believe, because it's easier to say Fannie May than FNMA a bunch of times.

But, I heard on the radio lately, they aren't acronyms anymore, they officially changed their names.

That reminds me, though - listening to the radio leads me to believe that there is a country whose stock market is called Footsie. I can't even remember which country now, but I have always been careful not to look at financial news written-down in case I accidentally learn what that word, which I assume I am mishearing, actually is.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3333 on: September 08, 2008, 11:48:28 pm »

That reminds me, though - listening to the radio leads me to believe that there is a country whose stock market is called Footsie.
The Footsie is the Financial Times Stock Exchange Index. FTSE. It is to the London Stock Exchange what Dow Jones Industrial Average is to the New York markets. 
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3334 on: September 08, 2008, 11:51:06 pm »

ACAP YOU DICK!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3335 on: September 08, 2008, 11:56:02 pm »

Noooooooo!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3336 on: September 09, 2008, 04:08:37 am »

So people who invest in that market are playing the footsie?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3337 on: September 10, 2008, 09:17:49 pm »

my new glasses make me look like a douche, but... kind of a cool douche? I don' know about this at all.

In other news, I have the cold to end all colds. I basically got snot on everything in a 1-mile radius. Nasty.

edit: no, not cool douche. just regular douche. ouch.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 09:23:33 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3338 on: September 10, 2008, 09:26:53 pm »

...leave the house with the full intention of spending the day experiencing the birth of my second child with my wife - only to be bumped from the schedule by other couples having emergency C-sections.  Ours is to be semi-elective - the doc says we can wait for nature to run its course, but due to complications that course may include stillbirth.  So we're electing to try again tomorrow.

It remains to be seen what our 6-year old will think of these developments.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3339 on: September 11, 2008, 03:55:29 am »

...wonder what the phone call means. We got a phone call from the OB today concerning Mrs. Haus's pregnancy. They said "no news is good news" and that a call meant a problem. Mrs. Haus didn't get the message until the office was closed. I am out of town on business.

The last ultrasound showed no problems. We listened to the heartbeat, which the doctor said was right smack in the middle of the "normal" range. Everything about this pregnancy has been "normal" or better. Mrs. Haus only had a blood test the last time through. She's at 15-16 weeks.

I'm hoping the problem is a billing one.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3340 on: September 11, 2008, 04:01:04 am »

I cant imagine the stress involved with pregnancy. All of the stuff youre supposed to do and not do, one mistake and you feel like youre changing your child's future. yeesh. one of the many reasons I am not likely to make people.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3341 on: September 11, 2008, 04:07:42 am »

...wonder what the phone call means. We got a phone call from the OB today concerning Mrs. Haus's pregnancy. They said "no news is good news" and that a call meant a problem. Mrs. Haus didn't get the message until the office was closed. I am out of town on business.

The last ultrasound showed no problems. We listened to the heartbeat, which the doctor said was right smack in the middle of the "normal" range. Everything about this pregnancy has been "normal" or better. Mrs. Haus only had a blood test the last time through. She's at 15-16 weeks.

I'm hoping the problem is a billing one.

Considering the state of communications today, I think if they had anything really important to tell you they could have reached you.

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3342 on: September 11, 2008, 05:27:08 am »

Considering the state of communications today, I think if they had anything really important to tell you they could have reached you.

This is what I was thinking. If it was something emergencyish I'd think they'd go for more than 'call the office when you get a chance'.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3343 on: September 11, 2008, 03:18:08 pm »

Doctors just don't get it that whenever they tell you to call, people assume the worst, and that implying the contrary via a phrase like 'when you get a chance' is not sufficient.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3344 on: September 11, 2008, 04:08:19 pm »

Sidenote: Child making and parenting has its own special sub-set of terrors and horror. Buddy of mine was down Ensenada seeing extended family and vacationing. His 9 year old boy got carried off into the ocean by a rip tide. Two weeks later and they're still looking to recover the boy. Damn.

But there's lotsa good, fellas. Really.

Oh dear lord.  This is the kind of stuff that I try to block from my mind.  It's real, real easy to come up with simple ways bad things could happen to your kids.

I remember swimming in the ocean from an early age--not just playing in the surf but actually going out and swimming.  I guess my dad was out there with us most of the time.  But I cannot fathom allowing my kids to swim in the ocean!  It scares the piss out of me!  And yet I did it, so I guess at some point when they're strong enough swimmers I'll just have to get over it.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 878   Go Up