Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood New Roast Beef band name: THE DATA-TONES

Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1341657 times)

0 Members and 215 Guests are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3420 on: September 27, 2008, 02:15:20 am »

...try unsuccessfully to post a link to www.squirrelunder******.com. I am so not amused anymore.

don't worry, we get the gist. Will the debate cover the important issue of Y-fronts for small mamals tonight?
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3421 on: September 27, 2008, 07:29:32 pm »

man, falling asleep at the foot of the toilet is not really that fun at all.

Hopefully today will have a better outcome. Grocery shopping, laundry-doing, CD reviewing.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3422 on: September 28, 2008, 06:06:59 am »

Drive down to the beach with some friends and get rear ended just as we get there.
Everyone was fine but the car's a write off and people were all too stressed to want to go to the beach anyway which was my vote.
Bugger.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3423 on: September 29, 2008, 11:15:26 pm »

um, golfhaus, how are things in charlotte?
is there blood running in the streets? are people burning their houses to the ground? mass suicides in country club dining rooms?

I would call my parents, but I'm trying to put off the part where they tell me I need to drop out of school and come home to work on the mines.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3424 on: September 29, 2008, 11:51:18 pm »

i can't tell if you're kidding lately/ever, to be honest.

wachovia is all kinds of getting screwed up, and is getting bought out by Citibank. It is headquartered in Charlotte and employs a huge number of people there. Until 2 years ago my dad worked there. lately they've been more or less begging him to come back, apparently, and last time I talked to my mom he was thinking of taking it. Right now he works at e*trade at a high-level executive job. But I know he still has/had a lot of stock in Wachovia.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3425 on: September 29, 2008, 11:59:05 pm »

The CEO of Wachovia, Rob Steel, was on CNBC just last week telling the world how solid his bank is and said they only had $10b in bad debt. Today it came out that he actually has $60-80b. I guess thats a rounding error?
I haven't heard anything like massive layoffs, but I am planning for the eventual revolution in the second great depression. I think Ill be a blacksmith, or a wheelwright.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3426 on: September 30, 2008, 01:08:18 am »

Wheelwright? Pah! Ye break yer pappy's heart taking on such airs and graces.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3427 on: September 30, 2008, 01:11:13 am »

Today I'm going to learn Wachovia was headquartered in Charlotte. And to think, just a few short years ago it was just that bank nobody had heard of that was taking over all the other banks.
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3428 on: September 30, 2008, 01:31:22 am »

My first bank account was a Central Fidelity account, which became a Wachovia account during that buy-fest they went on. I went with BofA when I got married because my wife had an account there. No riots in the streets yet (maybe if it had been BofA packing up), but it sucks for me because I was thinking today about throwing my resume up on the wall and see if I could drum up some interest somewhere. But if Wachovia is going to send a few thousand people with college degrees into the pool, I have to accept that I'm stuck where I am, and perhaps even a little lucky that I'm there.

Lately, what we've been dealing with is almost a week of not having any damn gas. My wife had to use a sick day on Friday (my boss let me work from home) because we didn't have enough gas to make it to work, much less back. I think they're saying two of every five gas stations have ANY gas. The lines are averaging a half hour, one guy over the weekend got arrested for pulling a gun on a guy that he thought cut him in line. If there's any silver lining, it's that Pat McCrory got out on Thursday and said "THE GAS IS COMING TOMORROW, EVERYTHING WILL BE BACK TO NORMAL THIS WEEKEND" and it's still not. So fat chance of him winning the governor's seat now - people in Charlotte want to give him a wedgie, not a promotion.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3429 on: September 30, 2008, 01:32:23 am »

Something with a Tutonic sounding name taking over the world?

You don't say.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3430 on: September 30, 2008, 01:56:42 am »

actually, the current (or former?) Wachovia is really mostly First Union. First Union bought Wachovia, but part of the deal was that they'd keep the wachovia name.

oh, in other news, my school is tarting it up for the VP Debates this thursday.

it is embarassing that they think it is a good idea to take gorgeous, classy old buildings and put big banners that say 'WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY IN ST LOUIS' on them. Also, that based on the press kits we got for the radio station, they gave out stuff that is basically "hey! Wouldn't it be cool to do a feature for your news outlet about how darn great this school is?"

I am mad that I didn't apply for a press kit.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 02:26:53 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3431 on: September 30, 2008, 11:42:15 pm »

..sneak the wife and little one out for a restaurant lunch.  The great thing about wee ones is all they do is sleep.  They're like little timers.  Feed them, they sleep for 3 hours, then wake up and screech for more food.

I would make an unkind comparison to some of my coworkers, but it wouldn't be the truth.  Some of them don't eat.  Or sleep.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3432 on: September 30, 2008, 11:43:20 pm »

Lately, what we've been dealing with is almost a week of not having any damn gas. My wife had to use a sick day on Friday (my boss let me work from home) because we didn't have enough gas to make it to work, much less back. I think they're saying two of every five gas stations have ANY gas. The lines are averaging a half hour, one guy over the weekend got arrested for pulling a gun on a guy that he thought cut him in line. If there's any silver lining, it's that Pat McCrory got out on Thursday and said "THE GAS IS COMING TOMORROW, EVERYTHING WILL BE BACK TO NORMAL THIS WEEKEND" and it's still not. So fat chance of him winning the governor's seat now - people in Charlotte want to give him a wedgie, not a promotion.
Is there some physical infrastructure problem preventing the delivery of gas? Or do you have price controls in place that prevent a gas station from raising prices to say, $5, and having gasoline trucks lined up to deliver?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3433 on: October 01, 2008, 12:01:19 am »

A-Cap, you make it sound like it is poor Golfhaus's personal fault. I am sure he has no price controls, much as he might like.

From the AP:
Quote
The shortage started with the one-two punch of Hurricanes Gustav and Ike, which shut down refineries along the Gulf Coast. Now, more than two weeks after Ike, many refineries are still making fuel at reduced levels.

While other parts of the country get gasoline from a variety of domestic and overseas sources, the Southeast relies heavily on two pipelines that carry fuel from the Gulf of Mexico. Because the gasoline moves at just 3 to 5 mph, it can take up to 10 days to reach Atlanta.

Gasoline can't go more than five MPH. Who'd have thought?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3434 on: October 01, 2008, 02:55:54 am »

tonight my roommate made a delicious roast with rice pilaf for dinner.

L'shanah tovah!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 878   Go Up