Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That you can post photos to the TOUAMB Flickr Pool?

Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1341631 times)

0 Members and 215 Guests are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3435 on: October 01, 2008, 02:58:29 am »

A-Cap, you make it sound like it is poor Golfhaus's personal fault. I am sure he has no price controls, much as he might like.

From the AP:
Gasoline can't go more than five MPH. Who'd have thought?

What the hell? We have gas here, there was never a problem, and it's selling for less than $3.50 a gallon today.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3436 on: October 01, 2008, 03:11:05 am »

It's a localized problem.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3437 on: October 01, 2008, 03:11:05 am »

Did... 'nev just insult my mom in Klingon?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3438 on: October 01, 2008, 04:10:05 am »

it means "Happy New Year."

P'tagh!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3439 on: October 01, 2008, 07:36:07 am »

A-Cap, you make it sound like it is poor Golfhaus's personal fault. I am sure he has no price controls, much as he might like.
I just find it very hard to conceive of tanker drunks driving a couple towns over to sell gas for $3 when they could sell it in his town for $5. Something is frustrating that system from taking place.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3440 on: October 01, 2008, 08:44:24 am »

Maybe the people contracted to supply via the pipeline are a different company than the people contracted to supply via the trucks?
Presumably they think getting to nearly double their prices on remaining supplies will earn them more than organising a new supply line for a problem that will probably only last a week.

I'd also guess that it makes little difference to the people delivering the fuel how much the service stations get to sell it for, I can't imagine the suppliers vary their prices week to week (let alone day to day) the way servos do.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3441 on: October 01, 2008, 06:17:05 pm »

The gas shortage is statewide; it's not a matter of driving in from the next town.  Up here in Raleigh, we've been having on-again, off-again difficulties, stemming in part from people expecting a shortage and causing gas runs. 

I had to go to 2 stations yesterday before I found one with gas, and they were out of everything except mid-grade.  I was late to my kid's dentist appointment because of it.  I only put in 3 gallons because I am convinced that the shortage will end and prices will drop by the time I need to fill up again this weekend.  (Plus, it was $4.07 for mid-grade and I paid $3.83 for regular last week and the price jump made me a little ill.) 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3442 on: October 01, 2008, 11:55:29 pm »

If I had price controls, it'd be $15 a gallon for everyone in NC except me, JL, and inev's parents. We'd have special cards with Ray on the front like that bank card he had.

The news tonight said 160,000 gallons were on the way to Charlotte. After some quick math, I can predict that will last about 45 minutes.

Granted, my math skills suck. But I think that's about right.
Logged

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3443 on: October 03, 2008, 09:14:58 pm »

The best thing about mental hunting is that there isn't any mental gutting, skinning, hanging, cleaning, cutting or wrapping; you can just skip straight to the mental eating, if you like.

Today I'm gonna lust after new mp3 players, because I filled my iPod. I will do this even though I don't have the money for a new player.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3444 on: October 04, 2008, 03:17:21 am »

So yeah, I actually had to decide "belt hatchet or 8" folding bone saw" when setting up the pack.

Why not both? Two birds with one stone.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3445 on: October 04, 2008, 07:38:40 am »

Quote
Why not both? Two birds with one stone.

More like... one bird with two stones?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3446 on: October 04, 2008, 07:43:34 am »

More like... one bird with two stones?
Ding ding ding.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3447 on: October 04, 2008, 11:49:16 pm »

This weekend was the perfect storm of young alumni, rugby, construction equipment, legal documentation, and copious alcohol consumption.
Why did they leave the keys in the bulldozer?
After a meeting Friday, we started forming articles of incorporation. Then I bought a blackberry, can't wait to get it in the mail.
The future is looking better and better every day.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3448 on: October 05, 2008, 02:07:25 am »

This weekend was the perfect storm of young alumni, rugby, construction equipment, legal documentation, and copious alcohol consumption.
Why did they leave the keys in the bulldozer?

Please don't tell me that no one had a camera.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3449 on: October 05, 2008, 05:52:52 am »

Please don't tell me that no one had a camera.
Sadly there was no camera. However there is something awesome to be felt by meeting with attorneys all afternoon to form your "corporation" with friends and then just hours later hijack a bulldozer. One day that story can be told on a corporate retreat. "I tried to drive straight, but in reality, I was doing violently fast 360 turns until I hit a wall." The important thing is that we'll soon be a legitimate corporation and that I have a reason to own a blackberry.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 05:57:18 am by Arachno-capitalist »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 878   Go Up