Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

How Does He Smell?

Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1345353 times)

0 Members and 180 Guests are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3465 on: October 08, 2008, 12:04:58 am »

I hate to be overly pedestrian, especially hereabouts, but I'm pretty sure I can explain this situation if anybody really wants to know.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3466 on: October 08, 2008, 12:12:37 am »

Do it! Be pedestrian.

Inquiring Minds
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3467 on: October 08, 2008, 12:24:22 am »

I hate to be overly pedestrian, especially hereabouts, but I'm pretty sure I can explain this situation if anybody really wants to know.

Will it tell me how to get between those two cities in forty minutes? Because that would really shorten the trip to NYC from here.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3468 on: October 08, 2008, 12:31:40 am »

I hate to be overly pedestrian, especially hereabouts, but I'm pretty sure I can explain this situation if anybody really wants to know.
Well I did ask for an explanation so.... yeah.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3469 on: October 08, 2008, 01:50:40 am »


Oct 7, 2008     
9:09 AM    Departed FedEx location      NEWARK, NJ
Oct 6, 2008     
9:02 PM    Left FedEx origin facility   WEST CHESTER, PA     
8:23 PM    Departed FedEx location      NEWARK, NJ     
6:00 AM    Picked up      WEST CHESTER, PA     
3:14 AM    Package data transmitted to FedEx   


OK, it was picked up in West Chester PA at 6:00 am.  Sometime during the day prior to 8 pm it left West Chester and went to Newark.  However, that data was not uploaded into Fedex's system on a timely basis.  In fact, I was say it was not uploaded until just after 9 pm.   At Newark it was mistakenly scanned as leaving Newark to go to Fedex's hub.  But it didn't actually leave Newark until 9am today.  It probably went through a daytime sort in Memphis today and might show more entries like "Arrived at WHATEVER A-CAP'S LOCATION IS"


Just a semi-informed theory.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3470 on: October 08, 2008, 01:54:34 am »

Education

I love that this board can accommodate the sensible explanation and time traveling, hot potato playing fed ex drivers simultaneously.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3471 on: October 08, 2008, 02:28:35 am »

Wow, I have a lot less faith in FedEx than I did before I read that post.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3472 on: October 08, 2008, 02:43:13 am »

You... had faith in Fedex?

Oh man, when I was working in a production office and had to FedEx a lot of stuff all the time...

I quickly learned that those people are about as transparent as the DMV in Turkmenistan.

Though, for some reason, they also seem to employ a strangely high percentage of really hot ladies of African-American extraction, at least in L.A.

And, yeah, that makes up for it some.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3473 on: October 08, 2008, 02:58:48 am »

we just got in a weird argument in my apartment where one guy was saying that 250,000$ a year is not "rich."
Also, am I the only person who finds it pretty damn easy to believe that most small businesses make less than that a year???
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3474 on: October 08, 2008, 03:00:40 am »

Our FedEx account rep buys us lunch once a quarter to make sure he uses up his entire schmoozing budget. That's good enough for me.

Also, "schmoozing" is in Firefox's spellchecker. Good for it.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3475 on: October 08, 2008, 03:13:09 am »

we just got in a weird argument in my apartment where one guy was saying that 250,000$ a year is not "rich."
Also, am I the only person who finds it pretty damn easy to believe that most small businesses make less than that a year???

Depends on where you are, what your conception of "rich" is and how you spend money.

$250K/year goes a hell of a lot longer around here than it would on either coast.

$250K/year is chump change to really rich guys.  Ray Smuckles could wipe his ass with $250K/year.

If you spend $260K/year, $250K/year is not rich.

I wish I made $250K/year.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3476 on: October 08, 2008, 03:37:05 am »

we just got in a weird argument in my apartment where one guy was saying that 250,000$ a year is not "rich."
Also, am I the only person who finds it pretty damn easy to believe that most small businesses make less than that a year???

Uh, 1.5% of the US population (households) pulls $250k+(US Census Bureau, 2005), so yeah, I'd call that rich. What do you mean "most small businesses make" ? Gross, Net? Residual profit to the owner? The number is skewed by micro-business (<10) being included in the small-business definition (<100).
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3477 on: October 08, 2008, 04:40:57 am »

This site will tell you how rich you are in comparison to the rest of the world. Man, I don't feel rich.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3478 on: October 08, 2008, 05:04:58 am »

Man, I've got 22 million bodies to climb over before I reach number one.  Better get some golf spikes.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3479 on: October 08, 2008, 05:06:54 am »

If you spend $260K/year, $250K/year is not rich.

That reminds me of a David Copperfield quote my dad loves to repeat that I will now google:

Quote from: Mr. Micawber
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery. The blossom is blighted, the leaf is withered, the god of day goes down upon the dreary scene, and — and in short you are for ever floored.

It might be worth noting at this point that my dad worked for a bank for 30 years.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 878   Go Up