Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

“Do what you love and the money will follow,” as they say, but I would add, “...but don’t do ONLY what you love until it generates adequate cash flow.” -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1348540 times)

0 Members and 214 Guests are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3510 on: October 15, 2008, 05:54:55 pm »

Paging Mr. West, Mr. AugustWest.

What is the fermule, anyway?
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3511 on: October 15, 2008, 06:32:56 pm »

What is the fermule, anyway?
Good God.  The Oxford English Dictionary doesn't even know.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3512 on: October 16, 2008, 01:12:34 am »

You'll have to let us know if the host-contestant banter is as awkward in person as it is on tv. Also, what does Alex talk to the contestants about during the credits? Inquiring minds.

I've told you once...

To actually answer your questions -- yes.  Yes it is.

When I was there, Alex didn't talk to the contestants during the breaks, he talked to the audience.  During the credits after my win, we talked about hoss farms because he raises hosss and I live in hoss country.  I think Keeneland and William Shatner came up (Shatner has a hoss farm one county over.)  He made it pretty clear that he wanted to make the conversation as brief as possible while making it appear plausible that we were actually engaged in genuine interaction.

To be fair, whenever I tell people about my experience with Alex (because he was a little weird) I also tell them that he had had a accident and flipped his pickup truck (driving to his hoss farm) four days earlier.  He was reportedly on painkillers at the time which could account for some level of odd behavior.  Or he could just be a pompous freak. 
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3513 on: October 16, 2008, 02:44:50 am »

Today I'm going to finish the rewrites on the script I've been crafting for seven years, send it off to the theatre, and then ruin my joy by eat a terribly disgusting dinner at Subway.

Tomorrow I'm going to roast a turkey for the first time ever - a belated Canadian Thanksgiving, and early American one!  Huzzah!

What will I do with my new found free time.  I'm thinking I can catch up on Achewood, since I haven't read it since February. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3514 on: October 16, 2008, 07:15:53 am »

Cool link, CJ. And yeah, August is way right - dude's a pompous freak. I mean it takes a special class of person to actually speak the question "Don't you know who I am?" in such a setting as an airport, talking to an employee of a company from which you're procuring a service.

The Q&A sessions during the commercial breaks were when he unleashed his freakish pomposity on the audience, tossing aside questions with joke answers and a straight face - including this interchange: "What are your academic credentials?" "I have no academic credentials." Said with a wry grin, it would work as a joke. It didn't work for our man Al.

I don't know if you watch The Soup on E! but they feature on occasion a bit they call "Cool Story, Jeopardy Contestant!" which features the most awkward, dull, and/or frightening bits of the interview segments, or "talkings" as the missus and I call them a la Strong Bad. We caught the afternoon taping, which was the Thursday & Friday shows for that week, meaning six interviews. And six potential clips for "Cool Story, Jeopardy Contestant!" I don't know, maybe it'll play different on TV.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3515 on: October 16, 2008, 12:04:16 pm »

. . . Be glad I didnt post anything last night.

How does an e-mail list work? Like im in a group, lets say [econ] and I get all the messages, but its unclear how I reply to join the discussion. Is there some address I should look for to moderate responses? Or is automated? How does this typewriter connect to my tv and what does it do?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 02:19:52 pm by Arachno-capitalist »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3516 on: October 16, 2008, 04:55:21 pm »

Yeah, last night's debate was worth emptying a bottle of scotch.  Ugh.

Do you mean an email list run by a Majordomo-type list server?

Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3517 on: October 16, 2008, 08:51:52 pm »

Today a found a big box of fake breasts at work. Somebody was trying to FedEx them but didn't put a label or anything on the box. So we had to open it up to see who was sending them but there was nothing in the box but 8 fakes boobs each wrapped in bubble wrap. It was awesome watching the Office Services woman realize what she was unwrapping.

And they were like full-on fake breasts with nipples and everything, not just implants. They looked a lot like the ballistics gel they use on Mythbusters.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3518 on: October 16, 2008, 11:10:01 pm »

One person wandered by who knew what they were and said that they're actually really, really expensive. Which is sad because I'd totally want to try juggling them.

I just want to see the all-staff e-mail about this. "Who tried to FedEx a box of tits?"
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3519 on: October 16, 2008, 11:31:33 pm »

So if they're not implants - are they falsies?  Something a single mastectomy patient would wear to balance her sweater out?  Or a tranny who didn't want to mess with hormones would have?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3520 on: October 17, 2008, 12:21:12 am »

So if they're not implants - are they falsies?  Something a single mastectomy patient would wear to balance her sweater out?  Or a tranny who didn't want to mess with hormones would have?

They're more simulations for medical training and/or equipment calibration. Like they compress down to a 4.2cm thickness in the same way as a the real thing. I think they also use them for things like gun-needle biopsies and breast ultrasounds.

The weird part is the one I saw closest appeared to be two parts. It was like a "skin" with a removable "filling" of a different material.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3521 on: October 17, 2008, 12:43:18 am »

It's a relief to know they practice on fake ones.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3522 on: October 17, 2008, 03:55:00 am »

video and all.

Oh yeah, can you do that slo-mo thing where the tit explodes and shit?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3523 on: October 17, 2008, 04:27:41 am »

Turns out they're called "phantoms", and there's a dizzying variety of them from plain


to fancy


to...weird...

(those are little bubbles of liquid you can suck out with your biopsy needle)

Bonus!  Mammography training dummy!

Yaaargh!

That's gotta hurt.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3524 on: October 17, 2008, 12:45:46 pm »

...interview a guy about a yogurt shop. It can't be turkeys at Disney World every day, unfortunately.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 878   Go Up