Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Okay, Okay, enough of all that. New strip Wednesday afternoon. "  See, we shoulda took bets.

Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1349137 times)

0 Members and 200 Guests are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3600 on: October 26, 2008, 04:53:35 pm »

... stay up until 5 am playing My Sims, then spend six hours dreaming of playing My Sims, also I should be getting ready for my second too-late-for-Canadaland Thanksgiving dinner.  Mmmm... excess Turkey.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3601 on: October 26, 2008, 07:51:08 pm »

I was a guest of the commonwealth last night. It was not like what i saw in the movies. I will be avoiding alcohol for the foreseeable future. I walked 6 miles from the facility to my room. You are hearing this before my family hears it.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3602 on: October 26, 2008, 08:10:01 pm »

It was not like what i saw in the movies.

It was just like this, right?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3603 on: October 26, 2008, 09:04:31 pm »

All the more insulting that it was a pinko "commonwealth" as opposed to a righteously indifferent "state", right?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3604 on: October 26, 2008, 10:03:02 pm »

It was just like this, right?

Hopefully A-CAP handled the situation like this.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3605 on: October 27, 2008, 05:28:20 am »

It was actually exactly like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha7VwGJDsrk
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3606 on: October 27, 2008, 06:04:54 am »

In other words it was the best prison stay ever.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3607 on: October 27, 2008, 06:59:19 am »

NYC is a crazy, crazy city. I like it a lot in retrospect, but I spent a good portion of the time I was there wanting to leave and never come back. Spending that much time in bars, surrounded by music industry people who all know each other, while unable to drink... horrible. I like the feel of the city overall, though... I think it was just far too hectic of a trip for a good first impression.
One of my professors was in the airport, and I was talking to him... when I said I was going to CMJ his eyes bugged out and he said "oh my god! is your band playing???" That would have been so cool.

I like the subway a lot, it was really weird how many conversations I got into while on the subway. Considering, you know, the thing is that you should never do that. I never initiated these conversations, so apparently it is just new yorkers who don't know what you should do on the subway. my roommate, who is from brooklyn, was horrified.
I also witnessed a cute scene where these two people about our age were sitting across from each other, and the guy commented that he liked her boots, and asked if she knew if the train stopped at a certain stop, and she said "oh, yeah, that's my stop," and then she walked over and sat next to him and they started talking... adorable. She had multiple facial piercings.

lots and lots of good concerts. I generally hated all of the big "buzz bands," but saw two of the best rock shows of my life. More details when I have uploaded pictures and videos from my trip. I spent a ridiculous amount of money, mostly on food, but also on some records and t-shirts.

the whole "College Music Journal" thing is a big sham, it was basically a huge music industry circle jerk. I went to all these showcases where we were some of the only college kids there, everyone else was a pro. Which, I guess, means we were going to the right shows-- lots of shows we were at got written up on big blogs and stuff. Lots of venues we couldn't get into due to our in-advanced age. The only alcohol I touched all weekend was the huge amount of beer that got spilled on me while seeing Monotonix, who are just the most insane garage-rock-y band I have ever seen. I had thought the era of shows getting shut down by management because they were too out of control was in the past. It was good to see that people were the most excited about just seeing, like... rock bands. I only saw one cutesy indie band the whole time (although... they were the best ever.) Lots of loud guitars, lots of great riffs.

I only got 5 hours of sleep a night 3 days in a row, which was kind of cool.
There was this one promoter who I was supposed to meet who spent a ridiculous amount of time and money tracking me down. My friends were convinced that she wanted to smooch on me, and she was really really attractive... and really bad at her job. By the end of meeting her we had agreed that she just had no idea what was going on, didn't know any of the other industry people, and was grasping at straws to try to get something done while she was in the city.

It was interesting seeing Williamsburg and the Lower East Side and Greenwich Village and seeing all the "hipster" types... apparently fashion has followed the music, as there was a decided lack of cute little outfits. A lot of girls in flannel and jeans, it was kind of refreshing.
It poured last night and none of us had jackets... being completely soaked in cold weather is really unpleasant.

now I am just tired.

in other news: don't play your electric guitar, it is actually 2 AM, people.

also: I told the director of training at the radio station "that girl, [name]? Make sure you assign her to train on my show. I like to use the training period to meet cute girls."
Apparently that was not obviously a joke, and so she called me today to tell me that she went out of her way to assign the girl to my show. She did not understand what i was trying to say when I said "that is not OK. do not do that. do not change her assignment based on what i said. i was kidding. please do not put me in this position." We will see what happens.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 07:16:19 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3608 on: October 27, 2008, 11:42:42 am »

Interesting times A-Cap, you steal another Bulldozer?
Thanks for the clip by the way Golfhaus, I love me some Gene Wilder.

Inev's story about the two kids on the train makes me want to go to new york, get in a subway car and give someone a big hug.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 11:46:56 am by Doc »
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3609 on: October 27, 2008, 02:56:09 pm »

I have never been on a subway, but that strikes me as something that will probably give you a disease?
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3610 on: October 27, 2008, 03:25:22 pm »

lprkn! The subway is one of the greatest inventions of civilization. You poor thing.

Today I'm gonna call someone who said he'd be in his office this morning after 8.30, have his secretary tell me he's got several calls ahead of me, ask if he will be there if I call back at 10 after another call I have to make, and have her tell me yes.

You know where this is going, right? Then I call back at 10 and she tells me he's gone to a meeting which is right there on his schedule that she is looking at which also says that afterwards he is going to another meeting.

ARGH. What part of 'will he be there if I call back at 10' could possibly be unclear??
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3611 on: October 27, 2008, 03:31:43 pm »

The New York Subway is awesome.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3612 on: October 27, 2008, 04:24:33 pm »

are we really at the point where my cousin in her mid thirties is going to accuse me of ignoring her on facebook? jesus.

it's funny how... i lost my keys somewhere in my apartment, so I can't lock my damn front door.

so, these kids are scratching records (the DJ way, not like... scratching literally) on their radio show, and i do not remember whether this is considered OK.

today I observed graffiti in the station that says "Daniel B is God," and when I went to do a buereaucratic task it took a long time because the secretary was looking me up on the grad student database. Apparently the beard makes me look old.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 04:48:39 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3613 on: October 27, 2008, 04:56:41 pm »

Today I'm gonna go see Celine Dion in a private box for free.  What?  I am not a big fan of hers but for free, why not?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3614 on: October 27, 2008, 05:26:37 pm »

Today I'm gonna go see Celine Dion in a private box for free.  What?  I am not a big fan of hers but for free, why not?
The allure of "free concert tickets" had me seeing Donnie and Marie once.  They were wholesome.  I wished I had stayed at home and watched TV.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 878   Go Up