Are you frickin' crazy? Music Director is the best job at a college radio station, bar none. Record industry people kissing your butt, free CDs and T-shirts, concert tickets, and generally being on top of what's cool in music. Being Music Director for two years was probably the single best part of my entire collegiate experience.
Why do you want to be training director? So you can meet freshman girls?
Man, obviously I am doing something wrong. Very few bands I like ever come to St Louis. When they do, it is to St Louis University, where the concerts are free. I do not get t-shirts. The free CDs we get are for the station, I have gotten maybe 1 or 2 extra copies for myself and felt bad about taking them. 1 record industry person kisses my butt, the rest get pissed off at me because kids aren't playing their CDs. Maybe I'm just too easily freaked out (actually, yes, that is it). Quite frankly, I feel like I have very little interest in keeping up with new music beyond what I keep up with anyway due to working at the station. I would rather spend my music-listening time listening to old albums that I haven't heard than trying to keep up with what the promoters want us to get reviewed.
No matter what kind of policies I enact (not that I am allowed to enact policies, really), people will keep finding every lazy way possible to get around the very, very, very few requirements we have. I feel like training director is something I could do that I would enjoy, where I would be able to influence the next generation of kids, instead of being this guy who people only know through constant emails saying "FILL IN YOUR PLAYLISTS, PLEASE! DON'T LABEL THINGS AS NEW RELEASES THAT CAME OUT A YEAR AGO, PLEASE! REVIEW ALBUMS, PLEASE!" Also, a lot of people seem to have no idea what I actually do, and send me emails berating me for not spending our budget on buying copies of old CDs. Our budget that, you know, doesn't have money in it for fixing equipment if it breaks.
I don't know. Maybe I would enjoy it more if I felt like I was doing a good job. But right now I spend a lot of my time worrying about how I am not. This is a general problem, not specific to radio stuff. It is also possible, based on talking to MDs at other stations, that I have an unrealistic expectation for what an MD should do.
Man, I completely forgot that today was Veteran's Day. My grandfather who I never met was in the army air-force during WWII, I am not entirely sure what he did, as it was last explained to me when I was a small kid. I didn't really think about it until just now, I guess I still have the habit from when I was a kid of thinking I shouldn't ask my dad about his dad, who died when he was a teenager. Most of what I know is because my dad got all of my grandpa's WWII stuff (insignia, creepy nazi insignia/medals and stuff) when my grandma died when I was 10 or so.
He actually also served a second tour (or maybe this is not the right terminology) when he was in his fourties, because of some clerical error. He got a notice saying he was being deployed to Korea, when he reported they realized he was older and had already served, and so they had him work on a base in Nevada. It ended up after a year that they had meant to call up some other Vincent B***** from Salem, MA. I actually don't know very much at all about what any of my family did in the war, but I know that when he went off to Italy he was already married to my grandmother. It breaks my heart that both of my grandparents on that side have passed away, I never got to know either of them, really.
Cort, that is pretty cool about your dad. I am always impressed by people who are willing to enlist, especially in a time of war, and very especially when so many people are conflicted about the war as people were at the time. Good on him for doing what he thought was right to serve his country.