Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Wife upset because I kept her up all night playing World of Snorecraft.

Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1347405 times)

0 Members and 176 Guests are viewing this topic.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3705 on: November 17, 2008, 12:41:05 am »

that site bugs me a lot, if only because it should be called something more like "stuff really well-educated, urban white people like."

I think I might be of mixed racial origin and not know it. Just going through a few pages I these reactions several times each:

"Yeah, I like that."

"FUCK THAT."

"Don't most people? I mean, it's pretty sensible."

"Meh."
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3706 on: November 17, 2008, 12:43:21 am »

yeah, that is also part of what I don't get.

"wait, yeah, I mean... latin music is pretty great, but I don't think white people are the main demographic."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3707 on: November 17, 2008, 12:55:30 am »

White people like girls with bangs???  White people, wake up. That is just stupid.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3708 on: November 17, 2008, 01:02:13 am »

that site bugs me a lot, if only because it should be called something more like "stuff really well-educated, urban white people like."
Oh, its definitely an excessively self-conscious quasi-commercial broad knowing wink sort of joke. Its not really capturing the guy who works at the junkyard, or the auto factory.  But it skewers my personal demographic pretty squarely.  The self-flagellating, angst-oozing, intellectual antidote to SWPL is this one, Stuff White People Do.  I don't think that guy is going to have a book or shot glasses anytime soon.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3709 on: November 17, 2008, 01:51:00 am »

Seriously anyone who does not think the posts about hummus and promising to learn a language are absolutely perfect needs to do some soul-searching deep in their pale white heart.

Quote
When it comes to food, all white people are either allergic to/or have stopped eating everything you consider delicious.  It’s a good idea to come to grips with the concept, because it will save you a lot of headaches...

Though you would never be able to guess it by their actions, white people are very concerned with perceived as “annoying” or “that guy” who has to ask about the ingredients of everything they eat. However great their concern over this, they are still more afraid of being “that guy” that eats High Fructose Corn Syrup or pork.

This is so true that you have to laugh so you don't cry. I can't decide whether I am glad you reminded me of this site or not, actually.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3710 on: November 17, 2008, 04:19:13 am »

I mean, my heart laughs at this, as it is something which describes what I imagine to be the heart of the white.

because the group most indicative of the true nature of white people is well-moneyed, well-educated, self-conscious white people.
and by extension, the most indicative group for the nature of black people is... oh dear.

i think this is my problem with this site.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3711 on: November 17, 2008, 06:44:23 am »

Sounds like you've got the beginnings to a good story there.

Today, I'm gonna use Craigslist for the first time ever, because I have some studded snow tires that don't fit my new rig. I put my post in the "free" section, and was overwhelmed by the response. I suspect that if it was May right now, these tires could not be disposed of for love nor money, but right now it's a different story.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3712 on: November 17, 2008, 07:44:57 am »

in similar vein:

do I need to have a conversation with my close friend, who has a long-term boyfriend, about how we were about to make out when her roommates made me leave?
Probably, right? Shit.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3713 on: November 17, 2008, 07:50:24 am »

do I need to have a conversation with my close friend, who has a long-term boyfriend, about how we were about to make out when her roommates made me leave?
Probably, right? Shit.

Was there alcohol involved? Or some other type a drug? If so, then no. I kissed a close friend recently, but we were both drunk enough that we can pretend that it didn't happen even though chances are that she does and I know that I do. And nothing has changed.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3714 on: November 17, 2008, 07:56:51 am »

I mean... yes.

But it didn't happen in a "we are just so drunk, we are out of control and doing rash things in the heat of the moment" way... it was more a thing where... i have always gotten vibes from her, and every time she drinks she gets all snuggly with me, and I had specifically told myself that this might happen and that I needed to avoid it, but I totally ignored that decision and there seemed to be a very conscious decision that we were just going to go for it. And individually, the stuff that went on was OK, but the overall effect was major transgression.
And then at a certain point, it DEFINITELY crossed a line. I found myself standing in the hall being yelled at. Uncomfortable. And I totally was doing the douchebag thing where I was all "I don't know WHAT you are talking about, there was nothing inappropriate going on."

eugh. poor judgment.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3715 on: November 17, 2008, 08:03:10 am »

If there was yelling there probably needs to be talking.
Or just cut your losses and delete this person from your life.
Either way.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3716 on: November 17, 2008, 08:05:45 am »

Yeah. I mean. Yeah. i need to talk to her. damn.

to make it more complicated, and ridiculous, her yelling roommate is my good friend's ex girlfriend. Who also wants to make out with me. I have no interest, partially because she does things like yell at people at parties.
the next night she busted in on her ex doing his thing with his new girlfriend, and made a big scene. oof, she is a mess.

I just need to make sure that when I do this talking, I am not secretly working in messages of "i totally dig you, i still want to kiss you a lot, etc."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3717 on: November 17, 2008, 08:12:32 am »

I just need to make sure that when I do this talking, I am not secretly working in messages of "i totally dig you, i still want to kiss you a lot, etc."

Well no one said that.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3718 on: November 17, 2008, 08:22:29 am »

"Look, I dig you but you're this dude's girlfriend, okay? Thanks. You wanna do the honourable thing and break up with the guy, a few months down the road, I could go for some sloppy make-outs but... holy shit... this is not the drama train and I ain't made of coal, aight?"

Easy peasy Jefferson Weasy.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 08:26:48 am by littlefallsmets »
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #3719 on: November 17, 2008, 08:36:38 am »

what I find cute is that my roommate, who is a guy with very high moral standards, is hell bent on continuing to construe this as completely not my fault.

it was funny because his advice was basically to be like "look, you are being aggressive and involving me in this fucked up situation, you need to stop all of the things you are doing since I am not at fault in any way."

and I mean, I feel bad telling him "um actually dude, I totally made a conscious decision at the time to pursue this and damn the consequences, it takes two to tango and all that"

Yeah. the consensus in my house is that we wish this guy were less of a really nice guy who she has slowly drifted apart from.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 878   Go Up