Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am composing a tone poem about eagles, lawnmowers, and Ted Nugent. It is composed only of the sounds of those things.

Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1347646 times)

0 Members and 168 Guests are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4080 on: January 06, 2009, 12:55:53 pm »

Well, it's true of lots of people round there parts, but of course I can't swear they're all federal employees.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4081 on: January 06, 2009, 02:53:13 pm »

they are absolutely wonderful, I am kind of obsessed with them right now.

I would list favorite songs, but it is... a really large number of songs.

I can list favorite songs:  "Salvation Song" and "The Weight of Lies."  Not that there aren't other good ones too.

Those are both on my year-end mix CD, for which I provided FTP instructions elsewhere.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4082 on: January 06, 2009, 04:20:00 pm »

...hear on the news that a high school classmate was just named Solicitor General. And wonder if this is something important. Sounds to me like yet another person who sits in an office in DC and sends their kids to private school and thinks they are so important that they drive fast and cut you off and talk on the cell phone while driving, but not so important that they block up the streets with secret service when they go out to dinner.
You went to school with her? She seems pretty awesome. Yes, it's a very important job.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4083 on: January 06, 2009, 05:36:33 pm »

She seems pretty awesome. 

It's so odd to hear that about someone you knew when you were all pimply nerds at an all-girls school, but for all I know, maybe she is awesome now.

I am more impressed by my old classmate who knows the Dalai Lama and the other one who has this great website I made for her book that's coming out.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4084 on: January 06, 2009, 06:41:08 pm »

I was impressed with this write-up:
http://www.boston.com/news/education/higher/articles/2009/01/04/shes_thawed_harvard_law/


You definitely have full authority to be impressed with whichever classmates you want. High profile fanciness is certainly not the only way to evaluate people. I am a little jealous that the ruling class (which she is undoubtedly a part of) can move between business, academia, and government pretty much at will.

An imaginary internet acquaintance of mine who is a student at Harvard Law is very sorry to see her go.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4085 on: January 06, 2009, 06:53:39 pm »

I was impressed with this write-up:
http://www.boston.com/news/education/higher/articles/2009/01/04/shes_thawed_harvard_law/

Ah, free tampons: now there's a woman who went to an all female high school for you.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4086 on: January 06, 2009, 07:59:04 pm »

My sister had to fill out a self-evaluation for her homeroom teacher at school about how she felt about the semester.

And she had checked off both "I am satisfied with my report card" and "My parents will be disappointed in my report card."

I am so glad I don't get report cards anymore.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4087 on: January 06, 2009, 08:19:31 pm »

Smooth.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4088 on: January 07, 2009, 08:18:04 am »

...be ready to leave, watch the boss walk out the door at 5:30, and smack my face with my palm at 5:45 when the servers die.
...stay till 6:20, the missus waiting in the car downstairs, dogs waiting at home to be walked, with the other boss frustrated that the servers keep dying.
...work from home till 10, watching the servers die because the mail transfer agent refuses to acknowledge the java app that the servers use to talk to it.
...do nothing to contribute to the solution, basically wasting my whole evening watching the servers die without being able to do anything about it.
...open an envelope the missus hands me after I wipe my hands of watching servers die, containing two tickets to the Tim & Eric Awesome Show Tour - she'd been hanging on to them as a surprise, and figured now was as good a time as any, after the waste of an evening. She's such a doll.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4089 on: January 07, 2009, 04:01:20 pm »

Wombat your friend is pretty funny.  I don't think I want to read a book about a clueless parent trying to raise a teenager though.

That's a good looking website too btw.

I haven't heard anything impressive about anyone I went to school with.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4090 on: January 07, 2009, 05:32:10 pm »

... I wipe my hands of watching servers die
This has such a Roman Governor feel to it.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4091 on: January 07, 2009, 08:41:45 pm »

Wombat your friend is pretty funny.  I don't think I want to read a book about a clueless parent trying to raise a teenager though.

That's a good looking website too btw.


Thanks! Although most of the credit goes to the wordpress theme designer. But it still possible to make a nice theme look like a piggy mess so I am pleased with myself.

I think it's a pretty funny book despite my lack of interest in raising teenagers, but of course I know all the people in it so that probably makes a difference.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4092 on: January 07, 2009, 11:18:43 pm »

This has such a Roman Governor feel to it.

He watched Tim and Eric as the servers burned.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4093 on: January 09, 2009, 06:59:29 am »

Saw most of Let the Right One In. Totally awesome. Vampires in a way that is... really terrifying and realistic and awesome.

near the end a young lady was too scared to watch, and so we talked outside and I missed the end.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4094 on: January 10, 2009, 01:33:39 am »

I was uninvited to the swedish vampire movie, because every time it came up I would cover my face as though behind a cape, reveal my facade, and say in my best Transylvanian accent, "Borrrrk!"

I have to agree, one of the better vampire movies I've ever seen.  NICE use of CGI.  Stayed pretty close to all the vampire mythos. 

I have a beef with the pending US remake.  The book translation and the film were judged to have too long of a title for US audiences, and according to Wikipedia is going to be retitled "Let Me In".

The whole movie is a tale about chosing the company that you keep, and you know... it's right on the box.   "Let Me In" captures none of that, and just seems like an arbitrary retitling.  They could have chosen other words in that title and just as easily not captured any of the theme.  Why "Let Me In" and not "The Right One"? 

It's better marketing anyhow... "What movie should we see tonight?" "The right one." "Saaaaaaaay."
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 878   Go Up