Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Sometimes I don't know what the fuck y'all are talking about and I'm cool with that.

Pages: 1 ... 272 273 [274] 275 276 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1345544 times)

0 Members and 213 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4095 on: January 10, 2009, 01:59:15 am »

Making pumpkin bread for a new neighbor:
charming, or too charming?

It is the same girl who I had to leave the movie with. I do not want to lay it on too thick.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4096 on: January 10, 2009, 03:54:05 am »

A college-aged man who home-makes pumpkin bread is neither charming nor not-charming.

The word is... is...

Swishy?

A badger with a freshly snapped neck left on the backporch stoop was generally the wooing material where I grew up.

Somewhere between those two.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4097 on: January 10, 2009, 04:09:01 am »

As usual if she recipricates she'll think it's awesome and if she doesn't it hardly matters.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4098 on: January 10, 2009, 05:44:40 am »

Quote
wooing material where I grew up.

And based on where I grew up, I am probably supposed to break your nose for calling me swishy.

But I don't really buy into that bullshit.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4099 on: January 10, 2009, 05:50:24 am »

I'm just saying, there are better ways to express your desire for a lady than asking her to help you pick out a dress... or things like that. Not sayin' you're gay, we know you love all ladies, but... there is being sensitive and then there is accidentally coming off as gay.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4100 on: January 10, 2009, 07:48:20 am »

Ok. No. That is dumb and pumpkin bread is awesome.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4101 on: January 10, 2009, 10:02:00 am »

I would advise, if pumpkin bread is to be your implement, on being absolutely clear that the pumpkin bread was not made especially for her.  It is a good thing to make and have on hand and slip into conversation like so: "...and oh yeah, do you like pumpkin bread?  I've got a loaf back at the apartment that I made."  If she likes pumpkin bread, she now has a reason to visit your apartment.  If she does not, she is now informed of (and potentially impressed by) your ability to bake bread but does not feel pressured to take it.  You can continue the conversation, because it was initiated for non-pumpkin bread purposes.

It is not a good thing to essentially say "I made this thing that I didn't know if you would like, but it is for you, here, politeness demands that you take it and feel awkward about it."  This is what contacting her for the express purpose of offering the bread will communicate.  At this point she will be alerted to your intentions and will begin looking for escape routes in case you continue being creepy.

That's just how I see it, though.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4102 on: January 10, 2009, 02:04:06 pm »

It is not a good thing to essentially say "I made this thing that I didn't know if you would like, but it is for you, here, politeness demands that you take it and feel awkward about it."  This is what contacting her for the express purpose of offering the bread will communicate.  At this point she will be alerted to your intentions and will begin looking for escape routes in case you continue being creepy.

Ordinarily I'd agree with this but if she's just moved in I think random gifts are acceptable in the context of welcoming someone to the area, even if you do know them already.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4103 on: January 10, 2009, 07:12:46 pm »

yeah, my route was bringing it over, and she thought I was just sharing it, and then I was like "oh, it's for you" and she ate some and said she liked it.

Not the smoothest ever.


My across-the-hall neighbor hit on her so hard. Oh man, I have never seen a girl look so uncomfortable in my life.

update: she just informed me that she and her roommate ate the entire loaf for breakfast this morning.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4104 on: January 10, 2009, 07:30:53 pm »

update: she just informed me that she and her roommate ate the entire loaf for breakfast this morning.

Is that what you kids are calling it these days?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4105 on: January 10, 2009, 07:50:12 pm »

yes.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4106 on: January 10, 2009, 11:10:48 pm »

... ache, sweat, vomit and not manage to get out of bed until just now.  Stupid stomach flu.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4107 on: January 10, 2009, 11:24:21 pm »

... ache, sweat, vomit and not manage to get out of bed until just now.  Stupid stomach flu. cheap whiskey.
Just be honest with us, AW.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4108 on: January 11, 2009, 01:09:19 am »

new roommate showed up, shook my hand, dumped his bags on the floor, and left.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4109 on: January 11, 2009, 03:26:22 am »

Just be honest with us, AW.

Actually, on Friday I will have been dry for a year.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 ... 272 273 [274] 275 276 ... 878   Go Up