Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You might, rabbit

You might.

Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1346769 times)

0 Members and 183 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4230 on: January 26, 2009, 04:43:44 am »

do you ever think, there are some people who have statues made of them, and some who do not.

And within the first category, there are people who have statues made because they pay for them, and those people who artists make statues of due to their fame or accomplishments.

Within the second category, there are only losers. Think about what you're doing that makes people not want to make a statue of you, and change that.

So that you can be in the first category. (a winner.)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 04:47:50 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4231 on: January 26, 2009, 06:28:41 am »

britney spears didn't pay to have that french dude make statues of her giving birth on an animal rug

there's losers in the first category too is what i'm saying

Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4232 on: January 26, 2009, 07:23:57 am »

I am OK with any change in the theory which makes fewer winners and more losers.


Judy, have you heard this band Late of the Pier.
My best bud/roommate said "It is like hearing the Beatles for the first time."
I really like them also.
they are from the UK, is why I ask.
Their vocals are way too... dancy British band.
but everything else is so damn good.

suddenly I really like electro-ful dance music. it all clicked at once.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4233 on: January 26, 2009, 03:46:18 pm »

Inev, I think you have a roommate that likes to exaggerate.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4234 on: January 26, 2009, 04:55:50 pm »

do you ever think, there are some people who have statues made of them, and some who do not.

And within the first category, there are people who have statues made because they pay for them, and those people who artists make statues of due to their fame or accomplishments.

Within the second category, there are only losers. Think about what you're doing that makes people not want to make a statue of you, and change that.

So that you can be in the first category. (a winner.)
So those that pay are winners and the ones who get the statue for free are losers?
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4235 on: January 26, 2009, 06:14:23 pm »

*no, "the second category" refers to people who do not have statues of them. I will revise this language to make it more clear.

Quote
Inev, I think you have a roommate that likes to exaggerate.

No. He just loves electronic rock music. This band is basically everything he loves combined into one awesome band. He has been freaking out about them nonstop since their album came out (in the UK) 6 months ago.
I live with a strange man.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 06:39:30 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4236 on: January 26, 2009, 08:49:59 pm »

The Beatles are an anomaly.  I was thinking about this the other day.  Any music that was popular to one generation, no matter how good it may be is automatically considered crap by the next.  Case in point, The Eagles and Pink Floyd.  The Beatles however are almost universally loved by everyone no matter their age or race or culture.

Your friend falling in love with Late of the Pier is like a personal epiphany.  Listening to the Beatles is like smiling, it's a language that everyone understands.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4237 on: January 27, 2009, 12:06:03 am »

Any music that was popular to one generation, no matter how good it may be is automatically considered crap by the next.  Case in point, The Eagles and Pink Floyd. 

What? 

WHAT!?!?!?

If you find some dumbass kid who doesn't like the Eagles *or* Pink Floyd, I suggest you beat that kid to a bloody pulp.  Beat the ever-loving crap out of him, until he is spitting blood and teeth, and humming "Hotel California" between sobs for mercy. 

I think I need some coffee or something.  Reducing my caffeine intake is not going so well today. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4238 on: January 27, 2009, 12:16:18 am »

I kind of can't stand the Eagles.

Pink Floyd are not my thing, but I can appreciate at least some of their stuff.

I think most people in my generation like Pink Floyd more than I do. Especially ones who were once teenage boys. Classic Rock radio is one of the few segments of the radio market that is -increasing- its market share of young people. At least, it was a few years ago when I read an article about this.
Quote
The Beatles however are almost universally loved by everyone no matter their age or race or culture.
I think this is a little strong.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Dexter

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 119
  • Some mothers should not be turned out.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4239 on: January 27, 2009, 12:20:29 am »

What? 

WHAT!?!?!?

If you find some dumbass kid who doesn't like the Eagles *or* Pink Floyd, I suggest you beat that kid to a bloody pulp.  Beat the ever-loving crap out of him, until he is spitting blood and teeth, and humming "Hotel California" between sobs for mercy. 

I think I need some coffee or something.  Reducing my caffeine intake is not going so well today. 
Guess that means I'm in for a beating.  Can a proviso be included, at least, that a spitting-blood-and-teeth-level beating is only warranted if the victim actively dislikes the bands in question?  I have no strong feelings about either, so I think I should get to keep at least half my teeth.
Logged
Y'all don't know what it's like, bein' male, middle-class and white.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4240 on: January 27, 2009, 12:23:30 am »

Yeah, I don't know anybody personally who likes the Eagles except for my Dad. I mean, The Dude doesn't like the Eagles.

Also, I like the Beatles, but I don't love them. And I don't think they are that universal. I know of a few critics, and even a few friends, who really don't care for them much.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4241 on: January 27, 2009, 12:33:13 am »

Fuck the Eagles.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4242 on: January 27, 2009, 12:53:57 am »

Guess that means I'm in for a beating.  Can a proviso be included, at least, that a spitting-blood-and-teeth-level beating is only warranted if the victim actively dislikes the bands in question?  I have no strong feelings about either, so I think I should get to keep at least half my teeth.

Yeah, OK.  I was a little harsh. 

Only people who actually would state, in public, with witnesses, that both the Floyd and the Eagles are crap would be subjected to the kicks-in-the-face-until-your-mama-don't-recognize-you treatment. 

And I really think now that the problem is not caffeine withdrawal.  I think the soul of Asherdan temporarily left his body, flew to the Southeast, and possessed my typing hands as I wrote that post. 

Wonder if he's still in there?  Could make this game review I'm writing pretty interesting...
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4243 on: January 27, 2009, 01:08:26 am »

for some reason that makes me want to hate them a lot more so that I would be OK with doing that.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4244 on: January 27, 2009, 01:44:05 am »

Fuck the Eagles.

I almost got my ass kicked recently for saying those exact words when asked if I was going to see them in concert.  A friend of mine, well a friend of a friend really, a big mother fucker too was ready to wail on me JL style for not worshiping at the alter of the Eagles.

I'm not the biggest Eagles fan in the world, but I am a fan.  I've got several of their albums.  I think their harmonies are fantastic.  But I have no interest in paying $100 to sit in a basketball arena and watch a bunch of dinosaurs who haven't recorded together in decades, who kicked out one of the founding members over money, who are clearly only in it for the money.

Anyway, I managed to talk myself out of a beating, but yeah, fuck the Eagles.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 878   Go Up